“Enjoyed our stay - manager/staff very helpful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kemp's Kamp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Kemp's Kamp
Rock Falls, Illinois
“Enjoyed our stay - manager/staff very helpful!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed at this beautiful location for 4 days. Ladies bath house was clean, shower stalls were clean, water was hot. Shower stall, changing area with 2 hooks for your clothes were private. Electricity by the sinks for your blow dryer. Husband said a man came out of the bathroom complaining there was no hot water in the shower but he showered next and said the guy must not have known how to work the water. Wood and ice on premises to purchase. Manager and staff were friendly and very helpful with local attractions worth checking out that we otherwise wouldn't have seen. We didn't use the pool but it was clean and people were in it every day. Laundry facility in same building as showers. We tent camped by some beautiful scenery and met wonderful folks who camped near us. We would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We tent camped near the rock formations. Probably should have used an additional tarp underneath (w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LuvGlobetrotting

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Alta, IA
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you're looking for a hassle-free, priced-right, convenient spot to lie your head and have the camping experience, then DO NOT stay here. We (3 men in our thirties) stayed in one of the cabins, which were adequate, at best. There are no frills and the price vs. convenience makes these cabins not worth the price you pay. We found other accommodations that were reasonably priced, had better service, and were much friendlier.

Issues we had:

1) The pool was disgusting and trashed. - You could tell that there was little upkeep, even though we saw some kids using it. I'm not sure they were supervised because I highly doubt any adult would allow their child to be in that environment.

2) We did not realize there was no fire pit - We were looking forward to sitting around the fire pit for conversation, but missed out on that because of this lack of basic necessity when camping.

3) The site advertises "Free Wi-Fi" but the Wi-Fi was limited to the residence only, no other cabin or camping site had Wi-Fi access. - I had to conduct some business while on my trip and had to go to a local hotel and act like a customer in order to use their business services area. It rained a couple days while we were out there and wanted to watch Netflix but couldn't because of not having cellular or Wi-Fi access.

4) The air conditioning was inadequate and didn't put out much cool air, especially for the bedrooms. The air conditioner just blows into the main room. We had to go to the Rapid City Walmart and buy fans. Manager's are unavailable after 8:00p so if you need something, it's very difficult to try to get a hold of someone. We ended just taking care of things ourselves.

5) The plumbing in Cabins is not vented, as you hear gurgling sounds all of the time when either side used the toilet, sinks, or shower. Two of the people we were with us are plumbers and that's what they said it was.

6) When we arrived, the male manager remarked that one of our motorcycles sounded sick and thought it was a train, which we thought was a horrible thing to say, beings there was nothing wrong with it.

7) We rode motorcycles and one of the members of our party had mistakenly used a towel from the bathroom to wipe his seat and windshield off. According to management, we ruined the towel and they charged our credit card $30. Those towels are no where near $30 towels, they're the same type of towels used at Correctional Institutions and State Hospitals for the Mentally Ill. I should know, because I've worked as a Paramedic at both of these types of institutions. They are not the nice, fluffy towels you would see at Holiday Inn or other hotel chain. However, we admitted it was our mistake and lamented to the fact that they charged us $30 for a poor quality of towel, but accepted it. Well, the next day the female owner comes to our cabin and yells at us through the screen door, which was quite embarrassing, about whether we would use our personal towels to wipe off our motorcycles, etc. She was relentless in her attempts to belittle us (for a mistake that we had already owned up to and paid for without question). She was brutal and it was very uncalled for. How could one person have that much hate towards us for ruining a towel? I'm sure they've lost towels or had them destroyed for other reasons but this one seemed to really bother her and she was going to let us know. At that point, we decided to just pack up our stuff and move on.

We had friends stay at the other hotels and campsites around Keystone and Custer State Park, which they really enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank IAMedic

Travellers are raving about these Keystone hotels

Willow Street, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stopped at this campground on a road trip while passing through Mount Rushmore. It was a great overnight stay that was a very convenient distance from Keystone and Mount Rushmore. The 1880 Black Hills Steam Train passes by across the street throughout the day. The pool was nice, but the bath house and laundry weren't the best. I wouldn't plan on doing laundry here unless needed. The staff was also very kind. It has some large rocks behind the campground that had a great view and was a nice climb. It was a very good overnight stay for us.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ben E
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Beautiful location very close to
all Black Hills attractions. Bath house (ladies) near tent sites has dirty concrete floor with constant puddles that never seem to dry up. Tough to walk from clean shower through dirty puddles to the hook on the wall where you hang your clean towel. Shower dressing stalls could use some of those perforated plastic mats that allow you to step out of the shower onto a relatively dry surface. My husband said these mats were in the men's bath house. A few more hooks on the wall next to the shower wouldn't hurt either. Also, there is no hand soap at all in this bath house.
My only interaction with the owner was when we checked in. He was courteous and informative about suggestions where we could find a good meal and also about the nightly lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore.

• Stayed June 2013
Rapid City, SD
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I live about 25 minutes away but I saw this campground a year ago while riding the 1880 train. It struck me as a very pretty campground with a gorgeous, empty pool. I love to swim but don't like to deal with a lot of kids. I stayed here this last weekend. I got the 1 bed cabin right across from the pool. Very clean, with a microwave and dorm fridge and tv and wifi. I was a bit disappointed there were only 8 channels but they were the main ones, TBS, TNT, USA, Fox News, TWC, CBS, and FOX and one other that escapes me. It is in the hills so maybe reception is a factor. I would agree with the comment it is a little inconvenient that there are not shelves or drawers to unpack. I don't agree with the comments that the owner is rude. He might not be a feely guy but when I went to the office to tell him there was a bee in my cabin he immediately came and killed it for me. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Beautiful scenery, got to see the train go by a few times, a wonderful pool. My only complaint, though minor, is that when I was swimming, the lawn guy mowed right around the pool kicking all kinds of debris into the pool but I guess he was on a schedule and it didn't matter that I was in the pool. Overall, I was very impressed!

Room Tip: If you don't like kids, don't get cabins 3 or 4. after 5 it is very noisy with the kids scr...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Very friendly, cabins are great for a family, and close to Mt Rushmore! Kids loved the heated pool and the train that went by. It was nice to have a kitchen. Not fancy, but very practical! The owner offered to call for us to see what time the light show started Memorial Day weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pencillady
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed one night, the manager was fine, I saw complaints about him, I disagree, maybe quiet, but not unfriendly, he told us about the nightly show at Mt. Rushmore, and gave us other good advice, and answered every question. We were tent camping, and the road was quiet, the rate was reasonable, and the location close to many Black Hills Sites. Showers were fine, a laundry room, pool, free wifi, A herd of ten deer and twenty turkeys in camp most of the time, I thought this was one of our best campgrounds, driving cross-country. There was electric if you wanted it. As a bonus there was a pow-wow somewhere in the hills, and we fell asleep listening to drums, and chanting, in the distance. I would go back anytime I'm passing through. Yes, I saw bees, but we had more bees in our school playground, when I was a kid, it's camping.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank JohnKy55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Mountain View Lodge & Cabins
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Kemp's Kamp? Share your experiences!