“Great Value - But Lower Your Expectations”
Review of Brookside Motel

Brookside Motel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was looking for a reasonable price in Keystone, and I found it in the Brookside. The rooms are clean and recently remodeled. Almost everything in the rooms is new; flooring, ceilings, wall paint, fixtures, bathroom shower, bed and furniture. My room with a queen bed was 12x12. The very small sink and mirror is located in the 12x12 portion of the room. The separate toilet and shower is very small. The closet is a small metal rack hanging on the wall. TV is old fashioned CRT. Nice desk and refrigerator. New room phone. New climate control unit high in wall.

But this part was very disappointing. They advertise free wifi in the rooms. I tried many times and could not connect. The signals on the three routers were very weak, to the point of not being available. I had to use my phone for whatever internet needs I had. Staff was generally very pleasant and helpful.

Bottom line is that it is still not as nice as you might expect for a newly remodeled room. Most of the rooms are in a strip along a small highway. I thought road noise might be a problem, but it really wasn't. I also heard very little noise during the night.

Breakfast is from 7:30 to 9:30, a little late for me. They had frozen French toast and hard boiled eggs the morning I was there, as well as yogurt and apple juice. I couldn't find any tea however and was a little disappointed. There is a small swimming pool which seems to be well maintained.

Would I stay here again? Yes, for the value. I would lower my expectations for environment/comfort and enjoy the bargain.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skytrekker

Reviewed 30 June 2013

My parents,sister(10 at the time) and I (12 at the time),stayed at Brookside in early July 2012.While this review is almost a year late,I still thought I should share my experience.My family stayed in the 2 bedroom suite.The room was impeccably clean,very spacious,and had a nice rustic feel to it.The beds were super comfortable and the showers had great water pressure and temperature.My favorite part was the pool.Me and my sister would walk there every evening after dinner to relax a little before going to bed.When we stayed there the breakfast bar wasn't there yet,but the innkeeper recommended some great restaurants.Someday I wish to return to Brookside and relive that wonderful week long vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank TravelLover1865
Reviewed 30 June 2013

stayed here 6/24 and 6/25. a little off the beaten path but an easy walk to the "strip" and the black hills train. big thunder gold mine is right out the front door. small pool but it is the perfect size to cool off in.. we picked this place because the owner directly responds to reviews which means to me that they care about what customers say.. our cabin had a little porch where you could just sit and unwind and enjoy the surroundings. room was immaculate. only pet peeve was no in room coffee and the office doesn't open early so early risers like myself will have to wait for that first cup, the second morning , i swear it was so weak you could literally read a newspaper through it, but those are only very minor issues and should not detract from the property, there is an old grocery store down past the mine that is worth the walk. would definitely recommend the brookside to all and would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bill n
wyominglady, General Manager at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post you're review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us -- and you can rest assured that the owners DO value your input and DO hear what our guests are saying.

As you may know, we have just recently taken over the Brookside (One month ago.) Coffee pots in the room is certainly something that you will be seeing in the rooms in the near future! (We hope by the end of the season.) In the meantime, we do have coffee containers that we allow our guests to take to their rooms.

As far as the coffee in lobby -- we kind of go back and forth on that one. Coffee is one of those things that we can never do perfect for everyone. Some people like it strong, and some people like it more like coffee flavored water. We have ordered a new coffee system for the lobby that will make fresh by the cup and allow you to set the strength. We hope that will allow you to enjoy coffee just the way you like it.

Again, Thanks for staying with us -- and for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit!
Safe Travels!
Tammy Gilbertson
Brookside Motel

Reviewed 26 June 2013

A lightning storm forced my mom and our friend out of our tent and onto the streets of Keystone, SD, frantically searching for a room at various hotels. Alas, all the hotels seemed to be full, noisy, or exorbitantly priced. I was just beginning to despair when a clerk at one of the other hotels recommended Brookside--and I'm so thankful he did! The room was reasonably priced, recently redecorated (new mattresses, too), and CLEAN! The hotel was an oasis from the crowded and noisy streets of Keystone (I know what you're thinking, but it can get a little crazy around Mt. Rushmore). In addition to the great room, there was also a free breakfast (2 types of cereal, a variety of breads ready for the toaster, hard-boiled eggs, biscuits/gravy, coffee, OJ, milk,..and probably other things I don't remember). Even better than all of this were the wonderful people running the hotel. They were so friendly and funny that, by the time I left the office, the stress and tension I had been feeling had completely dissolved. It turned out to be a great night, due in no small part to their kindness and good nature. If I ever make the trip back to SD, I won't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were on a tent vacation when the weather went cold on us, heading to see Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Several motels had marquees that said rooms $49.95, but when we came in it was $129. We happened by the Brookside Motel, and were greeted cheerfully by Anna, who set us up for half what we had been offer. Not luxury, but better than a tent in inclimate weather, very clean, and just can't say enough about the staff. Thanks for the great hospitality!! Julie and Ed Burg, Mo

Room Tip: Duplex cabins that share a porch with chairs. Each room has a picnic table. Very simple and clean...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We spent two nights at the Brookside with our 13 year old daughter. I was a bit nervous when we pulled up to the bright blue building (which I am told is being repainted soon) but my fears were out at ease when I walked into the office. We were greeted by a friendly young woman who was more than accommodating to our request for a "two room" accommodation. This isn't what we booked, but heard the person in front of us say they had one and thought it would be nice to have the extra privacy. The rate was flat out amazing for this tourist area, we literally would have spent more at a Super 8 and would have missed the family touches and great location.

It is true that there is some remodeling going on at the property, the breakfast bar was just finished up the day we left. Our room, while not fancy, was sparkling clean, spacious and comfortable. True the TV was smallish but who goes to the Black Hills to watch TV? We had plenty of hot water for showers (sometimes a concern in older hotels) and the room was quiet dispite a family with young children staying above us. We slept like rocks with the cool mountain air coming through the screened window.

The location of the hotel is about a five minute walk to the "strip" and a 1-2 minute drive to the general parking area if you are unable to walk any distance. Then major pluses of this location to us were 1) it IS brook side with a mown grassy area behind the hotel that was stunning and tranquil 2) it's in historic Keystone next two two historic homes and a gold mine. But I'm a history nerd, my husband and I went for a late night walk reading the historic markers and enjoying the serenity of the evening.

I'd pick a family style lodging any day over a discount chain or "big box" hotel. It reminds me of what a true family vacation is about, time together, meeting new people and immersing yourself in the local culture. Thank you ladies for a lovely place to stay and some great memories!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank tuckx9ne
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We think the place is owned by a young couple who are doing everything they know to do to make a 50's motel a viable choice up against all the national chains that have moved in over the last couple of decades.

There is only so much that can be done with room designs that were okay 60 years ago.

WiFi was not good.

The breakfast area was not open because remodeling. That's not good at the beginning of tourist season.

Location is not good for those who would like to wander the tiny main street stores.

The problem, in my opinion, is that all these things could be overcome with room rates more aligned with what customers are receiving for their money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
wyominglady, Owner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

First, we would like to thank you for taking time to post your review and to share your feedback with us. From the number of reviews you have posted, we can see that you have put a lot of time and energy into assisting businesses and fellow travelers as they plan upcoming trips. I am sincere when I say that your feedback is VERY important to us and something that we use in many ways to assist us in our business.

With that said, we were disappointed to hear that you did not have a better experience at The Brookside. Certainly, we do not want to make any excuses, but we would like to address a couple of things that might help explain.

First, The Brookside Motel was owned and operated by the same amazing family for 16 years. The property was sold this year in a last minute deal. The deal came together in about 2 weeks and was made final on May 31st (The day of your visit.) We (The new owners and management) excited about this, as it is a great move for everyone involved. The business is still owned and operated by locals and there are some great things planned.

It has certainly been a VERY hectic couple of weeks. Certainly, purchasing a motel in Keystone on May 31st is not ideal timing. Even so, we have mad the best of it. We started immediately with our "to do list" and got started! There were some things that we felt needed to be done IMMEDIATELY -- Things like new linens, new mattresses, new flooring, and some things that we knew we could work on, but we could work on them through the season, like getting the property nicely manicured, and developing the creek area, or painting the motel a more soothing color.

Another thing we felt was vital to the success of our business, that the property has not offered in the past, was a breakfast bar. Thus, we had to remodel an area to make this area accessible. Again, we would have loved to have it finished prior to opening, but we couldn't start the project until we purchased the property. I assure you - the breakfast bar has turned out beautiful and we are excited to now be offering this to our guests.

The Wi-Fi is an issue that our entire community continues to struggle with. Some days we get great connection, sometimes it is a little slower. We will continue to work with our area providers to find the best way to get the fastest and best service for our guests.

The Brookside is located in what is called "Historic Keystone". We are almost 5 blocks off of the main strip in Keystone. The Main strip is where many of the local shops and dining establishments are. Most of our guests enjoy that walk. In addition to being within walking distance to both the Main strip and the Historic Walking Tour, but there are also several restaurants, a bar, and countless shops and novelty stores between us and the where the "main strip" or boardwalk starts for those guests who are not interested in a refreshing 5-block walk.

Last - but not least, the issue of our rates. One of the things that is VERY important to us is that we are a good value. We understand how expensive it is to travel, especially when you are traveling with family's. All of the people involved in the operation of this property grew up in or around the Black Hills and remember the countless family vacations we spend here. For that reason alone we have done everything we can to keep our rates as low as possible. I am not sure if we are the only property you have stayed with in the area or if you checked with other properties -- but I can assure you, we stand behind our rates and the value that we offer. I encourage you to check around and if you are in the area again, we would love for you to give us the opportunity to prove what a fantastic value we really are.

Again, Thank you for your feedback and hope you enjoyed your time in this beautiful place that we are lucky enough to call home.

Safe Travels,