“Family-owned motel that aims to please”
Review of Brookside Motel

Brookside Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here last-minute at the recommendation of some locals after having a scary, storm-filled night at a nearby campground. It was clear from the moment we checked in until we left that the owners are dedicated to providing a clean, pleasant property at an affordable price. The pool, though small, was immaculate. The beds were comfortable with nice linens. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenbriar

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This motel is a small place off the main drag in a very busy town at the edge of Mount Rushmore.
We stayed in a small 'cabin' with two units per cabin. Check in was quick and the rooms were clean, however very minimally furnished. The shower was tiny and the spout hit my husband in the chest it was so short. The price was reasonable compared to the big chain hotels which is why we chose it. We did not eat breakfast there. Our units had a nice porch with chairs to relax at the end of the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NitaBC
TammyInKeystone, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear NitaBC ~

Thank you so much for taking time to post your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Brookside. We are glad you had some time to enjoy the deck and sitting area's while you were here. The relaxing atmosphere is something we have been working hard to provide our guests.

I do want to address the issue about sparely decorated rooms. As you are aware, we are pretty new to the property. As with any new business, we had grand plans of coming in and fixing everything right away. We learned quickly that time and money simply won't allow that -- so, we did what most people in our situation do and made our priority list. We really had to focus on things like new flooring, beds, linens, a new wi-fi system, coffee in the rooms - and the things that we felt would most impact our guests immediate comfort. Now, we are at the point where we have been able to start getting things like Art for the walls, and all of the special touches that make a property feel a little more cozy. I hope that when.if you return next season (or anytime) you will stop in and see the progress we are making. I think you will be pleased.

I did take a few minutes after your review to go and look at the shower heads in the rooms you are speaking of, and you are right - they are a bit low. I have spoken with our maintenance team and we have a plan in place of how we can fix this in time for the coming season. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Again, Thank you for staying with us and supporting our business -- We appreciate it and we hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip. We hope if you pass through again, you will take time to stop in and see the progress that we continue to make.
Safe Travels ~
Tammy Gilbertson
Managing Partner

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have stayed at this Motel for four years now. Staff are friendly. Rooms are very clean and they just remodeled this year. It is off the strip so it is nice and quiet yet close to all the shops. I would highly recommend my friends and family to stay here. Very affordable. Place is very attractive on the outside as well. Cute little porches for everyone to sit on. Great breakfast items for all.

Room Tip: We like 110. It has a King bed and is the last room on the motel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeccaBlackstar
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very close to the main street. The motel was very clean and tidy. Good choice at breakfast. Lots of attractions nearby such as Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. The staff of the motel went above and beyond to help me alter my booking when I had no internet. I would not hesitate to recommend or stay there again myself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Philippa3691
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was looking for a clean and affordable place to stay in this otherwise very expensive town. This motel is it. Clean, excellently located off of the main drag. Very easy to park in front of the room and take things out. I felt right at home! This is definitely where I will stay the next time I am in town! The desk staff is also very helpful and kind.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank McJasper99
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights the last week of June 2014. We had no idea what to expect and it could not have turned out more perfect. We had a very clean room with a frig and microwave, a picnic table on the deck, a beautiful view, a nice place behind the motel to sit by the brook and play horseshoes if we liked. The pool was perfect size and barely used while we were there except for us. Sean (Shen) was very helpful giving us directions and ideas what to do. He mentioned the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore at 9PM that we would not have made it to without him letting us know it was going on. I will definitely stay here when we come up again and have already suggested to others to stay here. The location is perfect. It is in a quiet spot of Keystone but walking distance to the antique store, mirror maze, the mine etc.I give it an Excellent!! I do want to say also that the staff was helpful and friendly. Thanks Sean for making us feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank DebDJune2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

always hard to know what to expect when it comes to a motel.. me and my family were very pleased.. it was the perfect setting in the corner of town, with the babbling brook and beautiful scenery... the staff was wonderful.. Shen the gentleman that checked us in and answered our many questions was very helpful and polite, he even offered to help us unload and load our luggage.. the pool was warm and clean.. over all this was a perfect place and we will stay there again..

Room Tip: we loved our room on the top floor with a deck and table to have our picnic meals on right outside o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family