“Great review”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Lahaina, Hawaii
“Great review”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The whole staff was great and helpful...Over the top helpful and accommodating. We are going to stay with them for the 3rd time!! WE love Tammy and Cine. They are very accommodating and personal. This is going to be our 3rd stay. The Brookside Rocks!! Don't stay in those big hotels...you will be disappointed !!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisPup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this the night before we went because of the bike rally which is why we went out here. The room we stayed on was plenty space for three. Beds were cozy. The view out our room was a creek so that was relaxing. The breakfast was great different main dish daily and the workers were kind and friendly. Everywhere we went was easily accessible from this location. It was a great visit and I highly recommend the motel. Not a typical motel. And there's an outdoor pool which we didn't use because of rain.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Alyssa H
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I read all the reviews before I booked this motel, so I was not really surprised by things I found. Someone said "lower your expectations"...and I would agree with that. That does not mean it is a bad place, it actually was fun, and reminded me of places I stayed when traveling when I was young. We had our 9 year old grandson with us, and at first, I could tell he was disappointed, after staying in other hotels. However, by the second day he was very happy, and said he didn't want to leave after we stayed 3 nights. The pool is small, but clean and we had a great time after touring (even if it was a bit cold). Our room was large, 2 queen beds and VERY CLEAN. (most important). The tv was small, but we weren't there to watch TV!!! The staff were very friendly, and helpful. The breakfast was very good, and really appreciated the home cooking. No, it wasn't one of those big "fancy" places, but it was quaint, family friendly, and in a quieter part of town. The bathroom is very small! I know this has been under new management for over a year now, and I believe they are trying to make numerous improvements. To those making improvements - I would suggest some pictures on the wall in Room 101.

Room Tip: We were in room 101 and unfortunately there was something that sounded like a generator that went on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank smile29
Spencer, Iowa
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our first impression of the rooms was not good because you are used to more modern updates and carpet on the floor but as we settled in, met the staff and got to hear their story our impression changed. The rooms were cleaned very well each day, the breakfast was good but it would have been nice to have some more protein options (sausage, scrambled eggs). It would have been nice to get to the ice and vending area at all hours. We had a plumbing problem the first day but they took care of it promptly. They were very good about giving recommendations to restaurantes and we liked everyone. On our last day we asked for a special accomodation because we had to leave early in the morning and they worked with us to get us going on time - probably would not get that at a chain hotel. Thanks and good luck on your future improvements - you're on the right track.

• Stayed July 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 July 2014

To be honest, we had a higher expectations since we had seen several good reviews. It turned out to be a nice place but still just a normal motel =) Basic accommodation and OK self-serve breakfast.

When we drew into Keystone, we saw several hotels that looked more modern (on the outside) and that had lower prices. I think it is possible to find higher value for money places but we still liked Brookside Motel and can recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This is off the main shopping area road which is nice. The rooms are very clean. There is a porch to sit on. Breakfast is your typical continental breakfast. One morning there was biscuit n gravy, the next french toast. Our room had a small shower only and we are short 5'5' inches tall so it was a little difficult to shower. Overall a good place to stay. We like to support local businesses.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Casper
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our room's bathroom had a very strong industrial cleaner odor and the service was horrific when it came to dealing with this problem. $50 cancelation fee and not being able to switch rooms! The breakfast was nonexistent and the food terrible. It was a expensive motel and the value just wasn't there! I do not recommend staying here unless terrible breakfast options and coffee, crappy rooms, and unpleasant staff are not a priority to you.

• Stayed July 2014
TammyInKeystone, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear AlyssaBlacksmith ~

Let me first start by saying, this is obviously NOT the kind of review any business manager or owner ever wants to see. At the same time, IF this is happening at any business that I am affiliated with, I want to know ASAP so the issues can be addressed. If there is anything I know about this business, it is that I don't know it all. We depend on our guests to help us see where we need to improve and what issues we need to address (good and bad). For that reason, we thank you for your review.

I took a few minutes after reading your review today and tried to research your reservation so I could determine when you were here, what room you were in, who the staff was during the time you stayed - (both cleaning and front desk), what our breakfast bar menu was those days and anything else that could help me figure out what may have gone wrong. Unfortunately, I am not able to locate your reservation anywhere in our system. For that reason, I am not able to specificity address any of your issues. If you would like to call or message me with more detailed information.

I want to say we are sorry you did not enjoy your time with us and did not feel you got a good value for your money. It is a primary goal for us to provide quality lodging at an affordable rate -- obviously, You don't feel this goal was accomplished -- we regret that.

When you speak of the Chemical Smell in your room -- I am assuming it was from the cleaning chemicals we use. Our cleaning supplies are all environmentally friendly, have a light scent, and are used in moderation. We did have an air purifier that we use in the rooms that is scented and was being over-used. (our staff has been retrained and is using this product properly.) I have asked our back-of-house supervisor to please monitor this and make sure this is an isolated issue and not on-going.

Next - you speak of not being able to switch rooms. If you were unhappy with your room and notified the desk, it is our policy to offer you another room IF one is available. Obviously, if the property is full, we are not able to offer other options. However, we would certainly assist you in finding a new location. We do have a $50.00 for early check out -- This fee is applied to guests who have made reservations for a multiple night stay and then decide they want to check out early for whatever reason.

In respect to your disappointment in the selection of Breakfast options -- We have a set menu that we rotate through. It is a continental breakfast - however, we do try to make sure we have more options than your "standard fare". Breakfast is served from 7:30-9:00 a.m. and we do our best to make sure that everything is kept fully stocked. Occasionally things run out, however - there is an attendant on duty and is always available to re-fill if brought to their attention.

Our Breakfast Coffee is from Dowe Egberts - it is rated #1 in most taste tests and is served in most "high end" motel/hotels across the WORLD. Each cup is brewed fresh as it is poured. In addition to this coffee, we provide in room coffee and lobby coffee to our guests. At the same time, I understand that coffee is something that people have very strong personal attachment to and you like what you like.

Lastly ~ I was so disappointed to learn that you left feeling that you received poor guest service. As you can see from prior reviews, guest service is generally an area we score very well on. There is ALWAYS room for improvement and growth and we will continue to look at better ways to do things.

I am very proud and confident in my staff. I don't mind claiming that I believe I have one of the best guest service teams in the business. When you have a small business like ours - in a town like this - where you are "competing" with hotels and motels that can provide 'bigger and better' - we have to give our guests something those places can't. What we can give our guests is time and attention. We take a GREAT amount of pride in this department. We take time to give our guests a little extra attention - directions - recommendations - or just to visit about the trip they are taking. It is the time and excellent guest service that sets us apart.

We have made a few changes prompted by your review. One is that our staff has ALL been given Name tags in addition to their uniform polo shirts. It is our hope that this will allow people to ID the people they are working with so we can better address issues or concerns such as yours. We have done some training and policy reviews. We will continue to work as a team to provide the service we are known for.

We regret you did not have a good experience. We wish that you would have brought this to my attention while you were still on site so we could have better addressed this situation and made your trip more enjoyable. We never want a guest to leave us unsatisfied. We know that things happen, we make mistakes, things break, and things go wrong. We can't predict these things - and we can't always fix them -- BUT, we will always do our very best to make things right by our guests. That is now and will ALWAYS be our commitment to you and our guests.

We wish you safe travels ~
Tammy Gilbertson
The Brookside

Travellers are raving about these Keystone hotels