“Great spot for extended family vacation, but...”

Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were grandma and grandpa traveling with two grandsons aged 5 and 7. I highly recommend the family suites if you are staying in the area for several days and need some space to spread out and get away from each other after long days in the car! The entire unit is huge. One negative is that the only window is in the bedroom at the back of the unit so any light in the rest of the area comes from lamps and overhead lights. In fact, the entire property seems quite dark inside. Free breakfast is always good when traveling with kids even though this one was average with a small breakfast seating area for the size of the hotel and number of guests. Most kids will love any pool and this one was very marginal as far as size. My greatest concern with the entire hotel was that it is run by The Keystone Project which appears to me to be an ultra-conservative Christian group. At check in they advised my room number, where breakfast is served, where the pool is located, and where the Sunday service is held. I was very put off by that and wished I had known about the management before I booked the hotel.

Room Tip: I heard that some regular hotels rooms don't have windows to the outside. The family suites are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol B

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights to encompass Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park. Hotel location just off main road behind a pub/pizza establishment. We had king + 2 bunks - latter very "rustic" design. Front desk good. Everything working in room. Fridge included. Free Wifi. Pool (didn't use). Easy access to Rushmore. Breakfast bare essentials. Definitely good room rate - best feature!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Kenneth W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed for a week and it was a great time! Very nice rooms, centrally located. The only thing is the door was out of sorts and we had to slam it to be locked which the cleaning service did not do. It looked like it locked but could push it open... The breakfast was slim pickings and was very busy. But overall we really enjoyed it and we would stay there again....

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was an ideal location if you are planning to spend most of your time in the parks and the Keystone area. The new part of the hotel the family suites are ideal for this type of trip. They were clean, spacious and equiped with the basics. I would recommend it to others and we would stay again. Before visiting I read other Trip advisors reviews the only negatives were the breakfast, it was marginal.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new part of the hotel and would recommend the family suites. 2 queen beds, bunk...
Reviewed 3 September 2013

we went on a quik labor day weekend getaway and thought we would try one of Rushmore expresses suites, we go to black hills quite often and i will say this will be the ONLY place we will stay when we go again , the customer service was great ! there where no bad things to say about this hotel , the room was huge , we stayed here along time ago before remodel and it was your typical keystone hotel ,but now it has really stepped up there game, we got there at about 1 am in morning and where greated super by the front desk, how this didnt make #1 rated stay in keystone is beyond me!!

Room Tip: walking distance to all of Keystone !!!
1  Thank papiodad
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Keystone due to the reviews on TA. I will admit I wondered what we got ourselves into as the outside of the hotel did look like it an older hotel that couldn't possibly have the great looking suites we booked. I was wrong, the suite we stayed in was one of the nicest I've been in. The floor plan made it easy to watch tv in the living room area without disturbing people sleeping in the bedroom area, even though there were no doors separating the areas. The only window we had looked out into the hallway, but I never open the windows when staying in a hotel anyway. I was very happy with the room, it was pricey but worth it. (I also know tourist season is short, which makes rates higher here).

The only negatives about this hotel, it wasn't within walking distance to the downtown area. Close but just far enough that we drove downtown due to medical issues. Parking is hard to find in Keystone also or you pay $5. As other reviewers have stated, breakfast is not great but looking at other reviews for hotels in the area, no hotels offer great free breakfasts. I wasn't aware breakfast was done at 9:00, so when I got there at 8:50, not much was left. Breakfast seems like an after thought in the Keystone area, as though they don't really want to even offer it so they just try to get by as cheaply as possible. I'm not sure that is the right mindset, as it just disappoints people with the overall experience.

Staff at this hotel, wasn't overly friendly. Would I stay here again? The hotel was fine, but Keystone wasn't our favorite place as it seemed very commercialized. I personally liked Hill City better, less "junk" shops but lots going on.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

One of the best hotels for the money. We upgraded a bit to get the family room. The woman on the phone talked it up and so we paid the extra bit. But when we arrived at the hotel, they upgraded us - at not extra charge - to the executive suite. this place was like a big one-bedroom apt. A full LR, DR, kitchen, huge bath and enormous bedroom Perfect for the end of our 2-week trip and room for us and our two teens. Very good service and breakfast. Right down the street from the entrance to Mt. Rushmore. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Up-grade and get the family suite
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone
#6 of 13 in Keystone
Mount Rushmore Resort & Lodge
Ramada Keystone Near Mt Rushmore
Mountain View Lodge & Cabins

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!