I literally booked this hotel on the way from Mitchell, SD the week before Sturgis. On the phone, the staff was pleasant and informative. Upon arrival I wasn't very impressed with the exterior but the layout makes virtually all rooms and amenities easily accessible. More importantly, its location places all of Keystone within walking distance (food, shopping, nightlife) and a great view of Rushmore is a block away. Our party required 2 suites each with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The 1st floor suite was spacious given the price. The queen beds were not very supportive. Not just soft, I felt like I was going to roll off the side unless I stayed in the middle. On the opposite side of the room was the sleep sofa. In between is a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Opposite the bathroom was a desk, good-sized dorm fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The layout genuinely provides two separate living/sleeping areas with a TV in each. Sleeper sofa came with a mattress pad so definitely continence-challenged kid-friendly. I believe there was a gas fireplace as well. Our room was interior which meant the window opened to a hallway (strange) but it also meant the indoor pool was just meters away.
The pool was small but the kids loved it including a TinyTyke playhouse/slide being used in a litigation-happy manner as a slide into the pool. Nobody died so I guess no harm, no foul. There was a hot tub as well but I did not partake. My in-laws had a 2nd floor suite, same price but their room had a much nicer layout.
They have some nice touches such as buckets of clean cloths outside to wipe/clean bikes, boots, etc. There are also suites that are better appointed than ours.
Would I stay again? Absolutely! Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, kids loved the pool. But the negatives are significant. I assume the wifi works for someone. The wife was talking to me (OK not pleasantly) so I don't know if she ever connected. I tried a laptop and two smartphones. I could connect to the router but no internet access. I was finally successful 30 minutes before we checked out. If internet access is mission-critical I would raise this issue BEFORE you book. They do have a connected computer in the reception area.
The breakfast isn't terrible but you should definitely have low expectations. Others have mentioned 'powdered' eggs but we didn't even have that option . . . just waxy boiled ones. Waffles are bulk/microwave variety. I love oatmeal so that's a plus. Fruit selection was fair. Powdered and chocolate covered mini-doughnuts are a boon for the kids until they tasted them. Again, likely a bulk, processed food item. Walls were thin or my neighbors were loud.
There's a tourist trap next door (ziplines, chairlift, hill slide). Naturally the kids loved it and I must admit I kinda liked the slide down the hill (with an underaged passenger).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family-friendly hotel located 2 1/2 miles from Mt. Rushmore, the Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites combines comfort, convenience and elegance for a truly monumental stay. An indoor pool and hot tub, Fitness Center, in-room wifi and a complimentary continental breakfast are just a few amenities that the Rushmore Express offers, along with guest laundry and available meeting rooms for groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rushmore Express Keystone Hotel Keystone
- Rushmore Express Hotel Keystone