“Great option if you ignore breakfast and wifi”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Burlington, North Carolina, United States
“Great option if you ignore breakfast and wifi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I literally booked this hotel on the way from Mitchell, SD the week before Sturgis. On the phone, the staff was pleasant and informative. Upon arrival I wasn't very impressed with the exterior but the layout makes virtually all rooms and amenities easily accessible. More importantly, its location places all of Keystone within walking distance (food, shopping, nightlife) and a great view of Rushmore is a block away. Our party required 2 suites each with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The 1st floor suite was spacious given the price. The queen beds were not very supportive. Not just soft, I felt like I was going to roll off the side unless I stayed in the middle. On the opposite side of the room was the sleep sofa. In between is a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Opposite the bathroom was a desk, good-sized dorm fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The layout genuinely provides two separate living/sleeping areas with a TV in each. Sleeper sofa came with a mattress pad so definitely continence-challenged kid-friendly. I believe there was a gas fireplace as well. Our room was interior which meant the window opened to a hallway (strange) but it also meant the indoor pool was just meters away.

The pool was small but the kids loved it including a TinyTyke playhouse/slide being used in a litigation-happy manner as a slide into the pool. Nobody died so I guess no harm, no foul. There was a hot tub as well but I did not partake. My in-laws had a 2nd floor suite, same price but their room had a much nicer layout.

They have some nice touches such as buckets of clean cloths outside to wipe/clean bikes, boots, etc. There are also suites that are better appointed than ours.

Would I stay again? Absolutely! Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, kids loved the pool. But the negatives are significant. I assume the wifi works for someone. The wife was talking to me (OK not pleasantly) so I don't know if she ever connected. I tried a laptop and two smartphones. I could connect to the router but no internet access. I was finally successful 30 minutes before we checked out. If internet access is mission-critical I would raise this issue BEFORE you book. They do have a connected computer in the reception area.

The breakfast isn't terrible but you should definitely have low expectations. Others have mentioned 'powdered' eggs but we didn't even have that option . . . just waxy boiled ones. Waffles are bulk/microwave variety. I love oatmeal so that's a plus. Fruit selection was fair. Powdered and chocolate covered mini-doughnuts are a boon for the kids until they tasted them. Again, likely a bulk, processed food item. Walls were thin or my neighbors were loud.

There's a tourist trap next door (ziplines, chairlift, hill slide). Naturally the kids loved it and I must admit I kinda liked the slide down the hill (with an underaged passenger).

Room Tip: Ask explicitly about the views. Some rooms are interior which means you get a view of the hallway...
2 Thank crazybabydoc
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thanks for the detailed and well thought-through review! We always appreciate our guests feedback, so thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites. It's great to hear that you had an overall excellent stay, and that you enjoyed your room and the pool.

To respond to your thoughts regarding wifi: unfortunately this time of year internet in Keystone does tend to be slower. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is largely related to the limited internet accessibility in Keystone, as the town still operates on DSL and has a lack of internet bandwidth capacity. Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we are working with our internet provider to seek to resolve this issue, as well as currently exploring other options to make things more convenient for our guests.

Thanks for choosing Rushmore Express, and for recommending us. We hope to see you again!

Jennifer G
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
American Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Large clean room with 2 queen beds gave us plenty of room with our 2 children and the pool was nice but cold staff was friendly and helpful would have gave higher rating but the continental breakfast was not all that great the waffles were rubbery and there was not much of a selection of food. But it was an enjoyable stay and would stay again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our school photography class stayed here for one night on our way to Yellowstone. They accommodated all 12 of us nicely without a fuss or muss.

I was booked into a mini-suite on the second floor by myself and was treated to a nice firm king bed, lovely tile in the bathroom, an adult sized tub and a bathroom heater on a convenient timer.

Enjoyed two flat screen tv's (one in bedroom, one in main room), but the channel selection was limited by big city standards. Probably all they could get for local cable.

Somewhat open floorplan, so there was no door entrance to the bedroom.

Overall the room was nicely decorated, clean and pleasant smelling. I chucked at my window view of rock wall face that was about 10 feet from my window. Dramatic.

The room had high ceilings, tasteful furniture a fireplace, mini fridge and wet bar. It was quietly located a good 50 feet from the elevators.

Breakfast buffet was limited, but on par with large chain hotels. Biscuits and sausage gravy was the hot entree the night I stayed. Didn't use the pool or gym facilities, but they appeared clean and well maintained.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayak0036
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We booked the bunk bed suite, beautiful large room. My 9 year old could not fit safely in the bottom bunk. "Free wifi" didn't work, the "complimentary breakfast" was not edible. Eggs tasted like they were from a powdered mix, oatmeal prepared in rice cookers, hard boiled eggs tasted waxy. Another morning they ran out of egg powder and served Oscar Meyer bacon dogs instead.

Stayed July 2014
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I can"t rave enough about this hotel . first the staff was just awesome. our room was fantastic ,we had the king suite and they brought in bunk beds for our kids . the hotel is just off the main street in a little bit so it was easy to get in and out of . the room was spotless and they cleaned it each day perfectly .the view from our room was also nice .it took about 2 minutes to get to mount rushmore from here , I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay ,we even added more nights when we were there my kids just loved it at the hotel and when they are happy we are happy , i am telling you the other hotels in the area are cramped right on the main street and it gets crowded , this is by far the best choice to stay , thank you rushmore express see you next summer for sure

Room Tip: you must get the family suites
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Fantastic! We're glad your stay surpassed your expectations. Have a great summer and we look forward to seeing you again.

Jennifer G
West Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The rustic queen room was nice, clean, and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast is okay but staying here a week it got old in two days so we had our own breakfast we prepared in our room. The WiFi is slow and disconnects often. If I were here on business it not work well enough for business use. For the most part we as a family enjoyed our stay here in keystone. I would recommend this hotel to stay. So I give a 3 stars out 5 stars

Room Tip: If you have a family more then four they have nice family suites. Rooms that face south lets you see...
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had no idea what to expect when booking this room. I have a family of five and when we opened the door to the Executive Suite - WOW! My wife asked if I was sure the price quoted was correct (least expensive in the region). The front room was HUGE! Sofa/Double bed, with TV; large table with seating for 8; wet bar with fridge & microwave; several tables and places to put clothes. The bathroom was spacious with heated floors. The separate bedroom had two beds and another TV. There was ample room for clothing for four women and one guy. All counter tops surfaces were granite.

The bedroom stayed plenty cool, but the front room was not as pleasant. The hotel staff provided a fan to help with the temperature - with the size of this room, there should be two separate A/C units.

Pool was a mad house during evening hours with about 40-50 kids. My family purposefully made time during the day to swim. It was nice. The hot tub was a bit small - but still nice when no one else was there.

Breakfast was ... not good. Tried it day one. The line was about 15 minutes long and the food was very sub-par. Eggs were a bit like sawdust. Coffee was okay. Some small fruit cups. My wife said the oatmeal was the only thing edible on her plate. We chose not to finish our food and didn't eat there again. There's a Subway within walking distance. Much preferred option.

Hotel staff is GREAT! They were always willing to answer my questions, guide me places, give me their opinions of local food, etc.

All-in-all - I wish I had a reason to go back and stay here again. The room was absolutely incredible! The staff was great! I would recommend Rushmore Express to everyone!! Even the booking process was seamless. You cannot go wrong if you stay here - especially in one of the suites.

2 Thank Brian S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Mt. Rushmore's Washington Inn & Suites

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!