“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Enjoyed my stay here. The suite was nice and good size. The pool and hot tub were great. About the only thing that needed improvement was the free continental breakfast. Most hotels offer free breakfast and this is the worst one I have seen. Also, the time was like 7 to 9 am so not long enough for being on vacation and wanting to sleep in. Otherwise our stay was very good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were referred to Rushmore Express from a friend that had stayed here earlier in the year. We were on motorcycles and preferred rooms with an exterior door. We had a rustic 2 queen bed room. Parking is a little cramped. There is not a parking lot but spaces located up to the building. The only complaint is spaces that are located just outside you door are usually taken by someone upstairs. Wish spaces would be marked with room #, which is not possible. The breakfast was convenient and good. Staff was very friendly and courteous.Had a pool but didn't use. But I could see that kids were having fun. Is located across from the Rushmore Tramway. You could watch the zip liners. from our front door. A creek run through the property. We planning on staying here again next year for our annual trip to the hills.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Utica, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went here 10 years ago, perhaps I was less interested in hotel quality at a younger age, but this recent trip was just okay. The bedspreads and carpets and wall paper need replacing or updating. The pool is great, but the towels at the pool were so abrasive and felt like sand paper. The breakfast was pitiful and you can see how they try to cut corners (salad dressing containers used for yogurt instead of giving you an actual yogurt container). It was really crammed in the breakfast room and I felt really bad for a person in a powerchair who had a difficult time getting around everything. Overall, this hotel is just, meh. It is overpriced in my opinion for the room. Great location, decent lobby and exterior and decent/small indoor pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank novastar10
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
I'm sorry to here that your stay with us was below your expectations. Actually, interestingly enough, within the last decade (in 2006) Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites underwent extensive renovations, including adding on 43 new luxury suites, a pool and hot tub, a fitness center, an updated breakfast room, and meeting facilities, as well as remodeling the older section of the hotel. However, like any establishment we always have room to grow so thank you for sharing your thoughts. We will take it into consideration.

Thanks, and we hope to see you again,

Jennifer G
Burlington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I literally booked this hotel on the way from Mitchell, SD the week before Sturgis. On the phone, the staff was pleasant and informative. Upon arrival I wasn't very impressed with the exterior but the layout makes virtually all rooms and amenities easily accessible. More importantly, its location places all of Keystone within walking distance (food, shopping, nightlife) and a great view of Rushmore is a block away. Our party required 2 suites each with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The 1st floor suite was spacious given the price. The queen beds were not very supportive. Not just soft, I felt like I was going to roll off the side unless I stayed in the middle. On the opposite side of the room was the sleep sofa. In between is a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Opposite the bathroom was a desk, good-sized dorm fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The layout genuinely provides two separate living/sleeping areas with a TV in each. Sleeper sofa came with a mattress pad so definitely continence-challenged kid-friendly. I believe there was a gas fireplace as well. Our room was interior which meant the window opened to a hallway (strange) but it also meant the indoor pool was just meters away.

The pool was small but the kids loved it including a TinyTyke playhouse/slide being used in a litigation-happy manner as a slide into the pool. Nobody died so I guess no harm, no foul. There was a hot tub as well but I did not partake. My in-laws had a 2nd floor suite, same price but their room had a much nicer layout.

They have some nice touches such as buckets of clean cloths outside to wipe/clean bikes, boots, etc. There are also suites that are better appointed than ours.

Would I stay again? Absolutely! Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, kids loved the pool. But the negatives are significant. I assume the wifi works for someone. The wife was talking to me (OK not pleasantly) so I don't know if she ever connected. I tried a laptop and two smartphones. I could connect to the router but no internet access. I was finally successful 30 minutes before we checked out. If internet access is mission-critical I would raise this issue BEFORE you book. They do have a connected computer in the reception area.

The breakfast isn't terrible but you should definitely have low expectations. Others have mentioned 'powdered' eggs but we didn't even have that option . . . just waxy boiled ones. Waffles are bulk/microwave variety. I love oatmeal so that's a plus. Fruit selection was fair. Powdered and chocolate covered mini-doughnuts are a boon for the kids until they tasted them. Again, likely a bulk, processed food item. Walls were thin or my neighbors were loud.

There's a tourist trap next door (ziplines, chairlift, hill slide). Naturally the kids loved it and I must admit I kinda liked the slide down the hill (with an underaged passenger).

Room Tip: Ask explicitly about the views. Some rooms are interior which means you get a view of the hallway...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank crazybabydoc
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thanks for the detailed and well thought-through review! We always appreciate our guests feedback, so thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites. It's great to hear that you had an overall excellent stay, and that you enjoyed your room and the pool.

To respond to your thoughts regarding wifi: unfortunately this time of year internet in Keystone does tend to be slower. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is largely related to the limited internet accessibility in Keystone, as the town still operates on DSL and has a lack of internet bandwidth capacity. Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we are working with our internet provider to seek to resolve this issue, as well as currently exploring other options to make things more convenient for our guests.

Thanks for choosing Rushmore Express, and for recommending us. We hope to see you again!

Jennifer G
American Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Large clean room with 2 queen beds gave us plenty of room with our 2 children and the pool was nice but cold staff was friendly and helpful would have gave higher rating but the continental breakfast was not all that great the waffles were rubbery and there was not much of a selection of food. But it was an enjoyable stay and would stay again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our school photography class stayed here for one night on our way to Yellowstone. They accommodated all 12 of us nicely without a fuss or muss.

I was booked into a mini-suite on the second floor by myself and was treated to a nice firm king bed, lovely tile in the bathroom, an adult sized tub and a bathroom heater on a convenient timer.

Enjoyed two flat screen tv's (one in bedroom, one in main room), but the channel selection was limited by big city standards. Probably all they could get for local cable.

Somewhat open floorplan, so there was no door entrance to the bedroom.

Overall the room was nicely decorated, clean and pleasant smelling. I chucked at my window view of rock wall face that was about 10 feet from my window. Dramatic.

The room had high ceilings, tasteful furniture a fireplace, mini fridge and wet bar. It was quietly located a good 50 feet from the elevators.

Breakfast buffet was limited, but on par with large chain hotels. Biscuits and sausage gravy was the hot entree the night I stayed. Didn't use the pool or gym facilities, but they appeared clean and well maintained.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayak0036
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We booked the bunk bed suite, beautiful large room. My 9 year old could not fit safely in the bottom bunk. "Free wifi" didn't work, the "complimentary breakfast" was not edible. Eggs tasted like they were from a powdered mix, oatmeal prepared in rice cookers, hard boiled eggs tasted waxy. Another morning they ran out of egg powder and served Oscar Meyer bacon dogs instead.

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Mt. Rushmore's Washington Inn & Suites

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!