Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Keystone)
Brookside Motel(Keystone)
K Bar S Lodge(Keystone)
View Hotel
All reviewsbunk bedsoatmealwet barzip lineheated floorswithin walking distanceelectric fireplacecontinental breakfastliving roompull out sofaking suitealpine slideadventure parkdonutsmount rushmoremini fridgefitness room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel to visit Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills and also to go to Sturgis. We are a family of 6 (4 almost adults kids ) and booked a suite. To our surprise it was really big. And I mean really big! There was small kitchen and nice living room. The rooms where very quiet even with the hotel fully booked. The pool and hot tub were great. The breakfast was terrible and I skipped it the rest of the days. But no complaining..for this price and this great location I can make my own breakfast. The interior was a bit outdated but all was very clean. We liked the stay very much. Dining/Restaurants/Bars were on walking distance. Mount Rushmore is only a 5 minute drive and because it was the biker week in Sturgis we were surrounded by bikers. We enjoyed it very much and were impressed by the sight of so many Harleys. Sturgis was an hour drive and wind cave np also.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Enjoyed my stay here. The suite was nice and good size. The pool and hot tub were great. About the only thing that needed improvement was the free continental breakfast. Most hotels offer free breakfast and this is the worst one I have seen. Also, the time was like 7 to 9 am so not long enough for being on vacation and wanting to sleep in. Otherwise our stay was very good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were referred to Rushmore Express from a friend that had stayed here earlier in the year. We were on motorcycles and preferred rooms with an exterior door. We had a rustic 2 queen bed room. Parking is a little cramped. There is not a parking lot but spaces located up to the building. The only complaint is spaces that are located just outside you door are usually taken by someone upstairs. Wish spaces would be marked with room #, which is not possible. The breakfast was convenient and good. Staff was very friendly and courteous.Had a pool but didn't use. But I could see that kids were having fun. Is located across from the Rushmore Tramway. You could watch the zip liners. from our front door. A creek run through the property. We planning on staying here again next year for our annual trip to the hills.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went here 10 years ago, perhaps I was less interested in hotel quality at a younger age, but this recent trip was just okay. The bedspreads and carpets and wall paper need replacing or updating. The pool is great, but the towels at the pool were so abrasive and felt like sand paper. The breakfast was pitiful and you can see how they try to cut corners (salad dressing containers used for yogurt instead of giving you an actual yogurt container). It was really crammed in the breakfast room and I felt really bad for a person in a powerchair who had a difficult time getting around everything. Overall, this hotel is just, meh. It is overpriced in my opinion for the room. Great location, decent lobby and exterior and decent/small indoor pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank novastar10
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

I'm sorry to here that your stay with us was below your expectations. Actually, interestingly enough, within the last decade (in 2006) Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites underwent extensive renovations, including adding on 43 new luxury suites, a pool and hot tub, a fitness center, an updated breakfast room, and meeting facilities, as well as remodeling the older section of the hotel. However, like any establishment we always have room to grow so thank you for sharing your thoughts. We will take it into consideration.

Thanks, and we hope to see you again,

Jennifer G

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I literally booked this hotel on the way from Mitchell, SD the week before Sturgis. On the phone, the staff was pleasant and informative. Upon arrival I wasn't very impressed with the exterior but the layout makes virtually all rooms and amenities easily accessible. More importantly, its location places all of Keystone within walking distance (food, shopping, nightlife) and a great view of Rushmore is a block away. Our party required 2 suites each with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The 1st floor suite was spacious given the price. The queen beds were not very supportive. Not just soft, I felt like I was going to roll off the side unless I stayed in the middle. On the opposite side of the room was the sleep sofa. In between is a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Opposite the bathroom was a desk, good-sized dorm fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The layout genuinely provides two separate living/sleeping areas with a TV in each. Sleeper sofa came with a mattress pad so definitely continence-challenged kid-friendly. I believe there was a gas fireplace as well. Our room was interior which meant the window opened to a hallway (strange) but it also meant the indoor pool was just meters away.

The pool was small but the kids loved it including a TinyTyke playhouse/slide being used in a litigation-happy manner as a slide into the pool. Nobody died so I guess no harm, no foul. There was a hot tub as well but I did not partake. My in-laws had a 2nd floor suite, same price but their room had a much nicer layout.

They have some nice touches such as buckets of clean cloths outside to wipe/clean bikes, boots, etc. There are also suites that are better appointed than ours.

Would I stay again? Absolutely! Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, kids loved the pool. But the negatives are significant. I assume the wifi works for someone. The wife was talking to me (OK not pleasantly) so I don't know if she ever connected. I tried a laptop and two smartphones. I could connect to the router but no internet access. I was finally successful 30 minutes before we checked out. If internet access is mission-critical I would raise this issue BEFORE you book. They do have a connected computer in the reception area.

The breakfast isn't terrible but you should definitely have low expectations. Others have mentioned 'powdered' eggs but we didn't even have that option . . . just waxy boiled ones. Waffles are bulk/microwave variety. I love oatmeal so that's a plus. Fruit selection was fair. Powdered and chocolate covered mini-doughnuts are a boon for the kids until they tasted them. Again, likely a bulk, processed food item. Walls were thin or my neighbors were loud.

There's a tourist trap next door (ziplines, chairlift, hill slide). Naturally the kids loved it and I must admit I kinda liked the slide down the hill (with an underaged passenger).

Room Tip: Ask explicitly about the views. Some rooms are interior which means you get a view of the hallway. But even some exterior rooms face the mountainside which means you get a view of a rock face. WiFi signal was weak so inquire about best location given their router/access points.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank crazybabydoc
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thanks for the detailed and well thought-through review! We always appreciate our guests feedback, so thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites. It's great to hear that you had an overall excellent stay, and that you enjoyed your room and the pool.

To respond to your thoughts regarding wifi: unfortunately this time of year internet in Keystone does tend to be slower. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is largely related to the limited internet accessibility in Keystone, as the town still operates on DSL and has a lack of internet bandwidth capacity. Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we are working with our internet provider to seek to resolve this issue, as well as currently exploring other options to make things more convenient for our guests.

Thanks for choosing Rushmore Express, and for recommending us. We hope to see you again!

Jennifer G