“rally paradise”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“rally paradise”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

we booked the king family suite for the sturgis rally not knowing that the best riding and attractions were within a short distance of the hotel. The room was spotless and so big we could realy unwind from a day on the go. the pool and hot tub were at the perfict temp's.the breakfast was ok but more choices could have been given. the WI/FI was slow and there is very little cell service in the area so if you need your phone and social media fix be patient.

Room Tip: if you want a seating area out side you'll need to ask for that type of room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John L
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
On behalf of Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, thank you for taking the time to review us, and for the great feedback! We're glad to hear your time with us exceeded your expectations, and particularly the room and location. Unfortunately during peak times (4th of July, Sturgis bike week) our internet tends to struggle, in part due to the lower wifi capacity in Keystone. We apologize for the inconvenience with this in particular. Thanks for choosing the Express, and we hope to see you next year!

Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Appleton, WI
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We pulled in after going past several other hotels thinking our hotel was going to be just as neat and 'cool' as all the others....kinda back in a corner on the side of a mtn and facing a zipline....looking kinda worn too. We walked into reception area and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was...then our room was back OUTSIDE down the road and you enter from an outside door and was back to looking real 'iffy'. Our hotel room was about 90 degrees inside, we immediately put on a/c and sat in our own sweat until we rested from our 10 hr day (about 10 min) and said lets go shopping to cool off until our room gets cool enuf to stay in for the night. The smell of the room was of mustiness and dust. Not real sure all of us were liking the room-outdated, definitely cabinish etc. Maybe it was the mustiness that was getting to all of us. The beds were rounded so it felt as if you were going to roll off at any point LOL. We went to look at pool and it was really small...we decided to not even venture in there where 12 people had already filled the entire space. Overall we had an overabundance of room inside with 2 dbl beds and bunk beds. But I think I would try elsewhere if we go again. Recpetionist was not overwhelmingly friendly either. Definitely would not pay over $200 for this room again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! We're sorry to hear that things did not go as you expected. Our Country Rustic rooms are a little more cabin-like, with handmade hickory log furniture and country-style art, and are smaller and a little older, built in 1987; they are also the most economic family suites we offer. Because they are a little older, however, they do take a few minutes to air out and cool down. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would recommend our Family Suites for any future stays if you do come back, as you will find them new, comfortable and spacious.

I would also invite you to give us a call, as none of our Country Rustic rooms should have gone for over $200...even if it was over early August during Sturgis Bike Week, when rates everywhere in Keystone tend to peak. If there was a mistake in pricing we would like to investigate that more. You can reach us through our website, or call us directly.

Landgraaf, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel to visit Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills and also to go to Sturgis. We are a family of 6 (4 almost adults kids ) and booked a suite. To our surprise it was really big. And I mean really big! There was small kitchen and nice living room. The rooms where very quiet even with the hotel fully booked. The pool and hot tub were great. The breakfast was terrible and I skipped it the rest of the days. But no complaining..for this price and this great location I can make my own breakfast. The interior was a bit outdated but all was very clean. We liked the stay very much. Dining/Restaurants/Bars were on walking distance. Mount Rushmore is only a 5 minute drive and because it was the biker week in Sturgis we were surrounded by bikers. We enjoyed it very much and were impressed by the sight of so many Harleys. Sturgis was an hour drive and wind cave np also.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Enjoyed my stay here. The suite was nice and good size. The pool and hot tub were great. About the only thing that needed improvement was the free continental breakfast. Most hotels offer free breakfast and this is the worst one I have seen. Also, the time was like 7 to 9 am so not long enough for being on vacation and wanting to sleep in. Otherwise our stay was very good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were referred to Rushmore Express from a friend that had stayed here earlier in the year. We were on motorcycles and preferred rooms with an exterior door. We had a rustic 2 queen bed room. Parking is a little cramped. There is not a parking lot but spaces located up to the building. The only complaint is spaces that are located just outside you door are usually taken by someone upstairs. Wish spaces would be marked with room #, which is not possible. The breakfast was convenient and good. Staff was very friendly and courteous.Had a pool but didn't use. But I could see that kids were having fun. Is located across from the Rushmore Tramway. You could watch the zip liners. from our front door. A creek run through the property. We planning on staying here again next year for our annual trip to the hills.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Utica, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went here 10 years ago, perhaps I was less interested in hotel quality at a younger age, but this recent trip was just okay. The bedspreads and carpets and wall paper need replacing or updating. The pool is great, but the towels at the pool were so abrasive and felt like sand paper. The breakfast was pitiful and you can see how they try to cut corners (salad dressing containers used for yogurt instead of giving you an actual yogurt container). It was really crammed in the breakfast room and I felt really bad for a person in a powerchair who had a difficult time getting around everything. Overall, this hotel is just, meh. It is overpriced in my opinion for the room. Great location, decent lobby and exterior and decent/small indoor pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank novastar10
I'm sorry to here that your stay with us was below your expectations. Actually, interestingly enough, within the last decade (in 2006) Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites underwent extensive renovations, including adding on 43 new luxury suites, a pool and hot tub, a fitness center, an updated breakfast room, and meeting facilities, as well as remodeling the older section of the hotel. However, like any establishment we always have room to grow so thank you for sharing your thoughts. We will take it into consideration.

Thanks, and we hope to see you again,

Burlington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I literally booked this hotel on the way from Mitchell, SD the week before Sturgis. On the phone, the staff was pleasant and informative. Upon arrival I wasn't very impressed with the exterior but the layout makes virtually all rooms and amenities easily accessible. More importantly, its location places all of Keystone within walking distance (food, shopping, nightlife) and a great view of Rushmore is a block away. Our party required 2 suites each with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The 1st floor suite was spacious given the price. The queen beds were not very supportive. Not just soft, I felt like I was going to roll off the side unless I stayed in the middle. On the opposite side of the room was the sleep sofa. In between is a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Opposite the bathroom was a desk, good-sized dorm fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The layout genuinely provides two separate living/sleeping areas with a TV in each. Sleeper sofa came with a mattress pad so definitely continence-challenged kid-friendly. I believe there was a gas fireplace as well. Our room was interior which meant the window opened to a hallway (strange) but it also meant the indoor pool was just meters away.

The pool was small but the kids loved it including a TinyTyke playhouse/slide being used in a litigation-happy manner as a slide into the pool. Nobody died so I guess no harm, no foul. There was a hot tub as well but I did not partake. My in-laws had a 2nd floor suite, same price but their room had a much nicer layout.

They have some nice touches such as buckets of clean cloths outside to wipe/clean bikes, boots, etc. There are also suites that are better appointed than ours.

Would I stay again? Absolutely! Great location, friendly staff, reasonable rates, kids loved the pool. But the negatives are significant. I assume the wifi works for someone. The wife was talking to me (OK not pleasantly) so I don't know if she ever connected. I tried a laptop and two smartphones. I could connect to the router but no internet access. I was finally successful 30 minutes before we checked out. If internet access is mission-critical I would raise this issue BEFORE you book. They do have a connected computer in the reception area.

The breakfast isn't terrible but you should definitely have low expectations. Others have mentioned 'powdered' eggs but we didn't even have that option . . . just waxy boiled ones. Waffles are bulk/microwave variety. I love oatmeal so that's a plus. Fruit selection was fair. Powdered and chocolate covered mini-doughnuts are a boon for the kids until they tasted them. Again, likely a bulk, processed food item. Walls were thin or my neighbors were loud.

There's a tourist trap next door (ziplines, chairlift, hill slide). Naturally the kids loved it and I must admit I kinda liked the slide down the hill (with an underaged passenger).

Room Tip: Ask explicitly about the views. Some rooms are interior which means you get a view of the hallway...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank crazybabydoc
Jennifer G, Manager at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thanks for the detailed and well thought-through review! We always appreciate our guests feedback, so thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites. It's great to hear that you had an overall excellent stay, and that you enjoyed your room and the pool.

To respond to your thoughts regarding wifi: unfortunately this time of year internet in Keystone does tend to be slower. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue is largely related to the limited internet accessibility in Keystone, as the town still operates on DSL and has a lack of internet bandwidth capacity. Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we are working with our internet provider to seek to resolve this issue, as well as currently exploring other options to make things more convenient for our guests.

Thanks for choosing Rushmore Express, and for recommending us. We hope to see you again!

Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Quality Inn
#12 of 14 in Keystone
Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Travelodge Mt. Rushmore/Keystone

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!