“Our Room was Dirty”

Ramada Keystone Near Mt Rushmore
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is the first time we have lodged here. The parking is tight if you try to park in between the lines, so the best approach here is to gauge what a normal parking spot size is and park accordingly. It seems a large portion of the guests have embraced this idea.

The first impression of the building public area indicates that upkeep is maintained fairly well.
The front desk, pool and conference areas look nice. Our room however was a different story.

We reserved one of their largest rooms which was not a suite, but included a kitchenette. The dark carpet looked old and really requires a good cleaning, if not replacement. The bathroom was fairly clean, but I noticed a little dirt in the corners behind the toilet. The shower was clean, but the tub drain didn't drain well shortly after beginning to use the shower.

In the kitchen area, there was an insulated thermal pot for either hot or cold liquids that should really stunk and be thrown away.

We had two queen beds in our room. At least one of the mattresses was thin and is well beyond its useful life. The mattress side sheet had a stain on the side, which looked like it could have been a blood stain. The sheet was not replaced the by housekeeping the next day either.

The window air conditioner cooled, but the temperature rheostat control didn't work. So while operating, it was very cold in the room or you had to turn off the cooling switch to stop the cooling. This room had a working gas fireplace but I wasn't interested in regulating temperatures with both items.

We didn't care for the room card key system they use. You place the key card in the door slot and a sign on the door says you must wait a minimum of 20 seconds for the door lock to release. It was actually closer to 30 seconds with one card and another card required a little over a minute to unlock the door. Not a good system.

So the good news: There are no bed bugs seen or noted. Coffee is available in the lobby. Located in the heart of downtown Keystone.

All in all, the White House could be a great lodging option if:
1. The ownership/management were to update their rooms.
2. Mandate improved cleaning procedures for their staff and institute cleaning compliance verification.

1  Thank G B

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My family and I stayed here 1 night during out vacation in the black hills. We were planning on being in Keystone for the day but when my son saw the train he wanted to ride it and because our vacation had leeway we decided to stay here for the night.

This place is horrible! Where do I begin?

First off the parking spaces are tiny. I don't have a large car (VW Jetta) and the spaces were barely big enough for my car. Lots of people completely ignore the parking lines which leaves less space. I was able to sandwich myself between to larger cars and luckily didn't have any dings.

The pool was freezing, the hot tub had a brown dirt (or who knows what) film around it and the hot tub was VERY foamy. When I asked how often they clean the hot tub I was told daily. I doubt that.

The lobby bathrooms had no toilet paper in the men's room. We at breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. Yes, we did the buffet but it was still nasty. I know one cannot expect much out of buffets but come on.

They were supposed to have free wifi but I could never get it to work.

The only thing that was good about the stay was the staff. They were great. That is the only reason I am giving this place a "poor" rating. Otherwise I would give a "horrible" rating.

Will definitely NOT be going back here ever or any of the sister locations in Keystone for that matter.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor and just off the open area to the pool. I was a bit concerned about th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank twimom1
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

When all the 49.95 a night rooms are gone you hope when you spend 100$ that you will get some perks. Not so much here. The location was great and the rooms were big w a fireplace and a fridge which was nice. There was no breakfast and we had to park off site then get up early to move the car. Not terrible but definitely not great either!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Great Location on Main Strip, easy access to stores and restraunts. Indoor pool seemed to be a hit with kids. The free coffee was not very good. $0.50 charge for all phone calls and charge for lost key cards was concerning. Parking spaces are very small for an SUV.

Room Tip: Make sure that you mention you have a pet when making your reservation and checking in.
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Took a detour on our trip from Colorado to Michigan to visit Mt. Rushmore. The hotel is old, but they allow pets and kids for free. The staff was nice, but the room had a lot to be desired. However, we were in a pet room and it was fine. The town is what I expected, but the food in the area is very over priced and not very good. If you like buffets, you will love the place. All in all, we had a fine time and the kids loved it. If I returned and had a pet, I would stay again. However, I might consider other locations. Also note, they do not have enough parking if the place is full. We had to park in public parking across the street when we came back from Mt. Rushmore at 10:00 at night. As long as you move your car by 9:00 in the morning you will be fine.

Room Tip: Kids eat free at the Mexican Restaurant with paying adults. The salsa is great, the food is o.k, the...
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was easy enough to locate as Keystone is not a very large town. The on site parking is a bit on the tight side if you are driving an SUV or larger vehicle, as the marking out must have been done by a British contractor specialising in Tesco car parks! The hotel facilities were as expected, and we found it a little odd that our room was around the edge of the indoor pool; handy if you like a quick swim first thing!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This hotel is conveniently located. It's within walking distance of a lot of the shops and restaurants, bars, etc. Parking is very tight unless you have a compact car, maybe. Reception desk was friendly. Cleaning staff doesn't do a very good job. A pair of men's flip flops were under the bed and a ladies necklace was left on the floor, so you know if the floor had been vacuumed at all they would have been found.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family