“Nice.” 3 of 5 bubbles

National Presidential Wax Museum
Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Keystone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Where History Hails the Chief Located in the shadow of Mount Rushmore in the historic town of Keystone, the National Presidential Wax Museum is an impressive highlight on any traveler's itinerary. Featuring the works of world-famous wax artist Katherine Stubergh, the National Presidential Wax Museum features over 100 life-size wax sculptures of some of the most iconic figures in American history. We invite you to witness the history of American Democracy from its inception. Also featuring: State of the art narration system for each visitor to the museum. Historic artifacts including President Bill Clinton's own red, white, and blue saxophone (courtesy of the National Music Museum) and Florida's controversial ballot boxes from the 2000 presidential election. A spacious gift shop with fun, quirky gifts that can't be found anywhere else in Keystone. Exhibit featuring the original oil paintings of the famed illustrator and painter Harvey Dunn.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Bethlehem, PA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have to be honest here. We stayed at the KOA campground at the Palmer Gulch resort and were given four free passes to this museum. It we did not have those passes, I'm not sure we would have stopped in to this museum.

However, we are glad we went. I wasn't sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the presidents were displayed in a historical context, sometimes with their contemporaries. Some of the lesser known presidents were only displayed as busts, but when you have to include someone like William Henry Harrison, you have to make do with what you have.

I appreciate how each president was shown in a positive light, so there did not seem to be a political agenda by the artist.

California
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 269 helpful votes
“What Me Worry?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I will get to the title later. If you plan to go stop and look through the numerous coupon books as it will give you a half price admission. If you go before 11 am the cost is only $5 with the coupon. Overall the Museum is done very well. It provides you with a brief history of each President a few other historical figures. Make sure you take one of the free audio tours. This will give you information that you will not get by just reading the information plaques at each display. This is a worthwhile attraction and I do recommend you visit. That being said, I have one suggestion for the Museum if they read these reviews. At the beginning of the tour they provide you with information regarding the people and the artist who designed the wax figures. It was mentioned that one person had done the majority of the figures. But the last eleven were done by another artist. I did notice that the first thirty of the Presidents and all of those resembled, quite well, the pictures of those Presidents at each display. The last Presidents, the newest ones, are for the most part fairly accurate However there are a few that are not good. The worst one is of Ronald Regan. He looks more like Alfred E Neuman from Mad Magazine. Hopefully this just a poor representation of President Regan and not something else.

Dover, Delaware
3 attraction reviews
“First time in a wax museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Take some time to listen to the audio tour about every president, Gen. Custer and the natives. You will learn a few things. The on-going video at the beginning shows how the figures are made - interesting. I would have like to be able to sit to watch it. The artistry is amazing! I am so glad it was raining because we may not have gone!

Brainard, Nebraska
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Outstanding, too many miss this gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We really enjoyed this museum. I am surprised how slow this place was. Do not overlook this place. Very cool and informative. We stopped because my wife really loves presidents and history, but I enjoyed it also.

Southampton, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazingly informative.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Amazingly interesting. There was nothing I disliked. It is hard to take it all in as there is so much to see.

Visited April 2013