“"discounted" food coupons” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mt. Rushmore's President View Resort
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
“"discounted" food coupons”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

for the price I didn't expect much at the hotel...room was small but clean and beds decent. was a little nerve racking walking with my 7 yr old son to downtown down the long driveway, along the highway and back in the dark later. But what disappointed me the most was the buffet that the hotel gives you a discount for. the restaurant was dirty, the buffet was horrible and the bathroom was gross. Talked with a local merchant about the buffet and she told me that the same person owns three of the "presidents" hotels and three restaurants (all have buffets for breakfast and dinner) in keystone. and that these are basically blights on the town.....too bad for keystone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Pam S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

A pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap hotel in the dreadfully tacky town of Keystone. There is no restaurant of any kind in this 'resort' so you have to go into the seedy town where a coke and pizza is the highest point in the cuisine. The hotel specialises in Harley Davidson motor bike ralleys so if you like to hear unsilenced motor bilkes from 6 am to midnight along with your coke and pizza this is the place for you. If you've come to see Mount Rushmore (3 miles away) then stay at the State Park lodge in thr middle of Custer state park

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank barryCheshire

Travellers are raving about these Keystone hotels

Oak Park Heights, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

The location seemed good, and it was other than having to walk down the steep drive to get downtown, but that is the only good thing I can say. The staff was unpleasant, the room was extremely cramped, not overly clean, and the bed was so uncomfortable I would have slept on the floor, had the room been big enough so that I could have done. The bathroom was so small it was almost unusable, the tub was grungy, and they gave you only some soap and some nasty cheap towels. The second night there, after being gone all day, the staff did not even leave the fan running so the room was terribly stuffy. I sat on the bed and after a few moments noticed a small bug crawling on my arm. I smashed it and then took the bedding off to make sure there weren't others. I did not find any other bugs, but I did find something on my pillow. A mint? No, a booger. Thanks housekeeping! Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Room Tip: Go almost anywhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather G
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

You would think that a hotel perched up on top of the highest peak in the town of Keystone would indeed have a magnificent view of Mt. Rushmore but you would be fooled as we were after reading their description.
When we checked in we were told that the only room available for the evening was a handicap suite. We accepted and paid cash for the room; that's when the fun started.
When we went to the room, it was about as big as a postage stamp. The bed was pushed up against the wall so you could get in.
After a long day on the road, my husband took a shower and the fire alarm kept buzzing because of the steam that the fan could not handle.
I went to the front desk and was told that if indeed the fire alarm went off, the fire department would respond and since they did not, I was not telling the truth.
I then took a shower and the same thing happened.
We had to leave the front door opened when in the bathroom.
The bed was a bowl, we found old underwear under the bed and a cigarette butt behind the tiny TV.
Upon check out, the receptionist argued with us and told us we were lying about the fire alarm. My husband is a fireman .....what can I say except "Stay away".
BTW: There were only 5 other cars in the parking lot that evening. So much for the only room left story.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank donuts g
Callington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed here on our third night of our American adventure, From the outside the hotel looked very good, That is really the only possitive I can give it.
We entered the hotel and went to the reception and were greeted by a miserable reception worker who did not greet us with a smile or a simple "hello and how may I help you". All he said was "Here's your key, you must check out by 10, coffee is only available in the lobby".
We found the room to be small, hot and not comfortable. Also noise could be heard from other rooms.
The hotel is located not far from Mount Rushmore but I'm sure there must be better accommodation out there!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Owlincallington
Two Rivers, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I paid $100 a night to stay here. As others have noted, the bathroom is tiny, towels are thin and rough and only soap is provided. We had two double beds and NO room for our luggage. The first room that we were given was on the first floor next to a mechanical room (ac?). The head of the bed was vibrating from the noise! We asked to be moved (very unapologetic, very young clerk) and were given another room. It was lots of fun to move all of our luggage at midnight!! The second room was just as small. It was relatively clean. The staff was very indifferent to any requests and seemed confused if you asked them for anything. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank happytravelers195112
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Third time we have stayed there, so it isn't horrible. Be wary of the rates and make sure you get parked early. Keystone is a good location but it is in the tourist trap Black Hills

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple