“Small and Old Room”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Phoenix
“Small and Old Room”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

When I booked our room and told the reservation agent that we had a pet, I wasn't given any choices of room types. I was willing to pay more for a better room but wasn't given an option. Once at the hotel I figured out why. It seems there is one hallway that they put all pet owners on and the hallway smells and the rooms haven't been updated in probably 30 years. The room was miniscule and we had to stack stuff on top of each other just to be able to walk about the beds. The mattresses were old and uncomfortable as well. Maybe if you don't have a pet you can ask for a better room but be prepared to stay in a crappy room if you have an animal. I also didn't find the staff very friendly, the pop machines didn't always work, no shampoo/conditioner in the rooms. In other words, definitely no "extras". The room was the cheapest we stayed in ($80) during the trip but the room we had shouldn't go for more than $30 a night. Also, to get to the main street in Keystone where the shops and restaurants are, you must hike down a large hill from the hotel to street level and then of course hike back up it once you're ready to come back to the hotel. No shortcuts, nothing to assist guests in getting to the main street. As you can see, I wasn't impressed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LovethebeachPhx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Randy greeted us at the front desk and gave us a military discount. That was greatly appreciated. Our dog was welcome, and that was a huge plus! Only glitch was the first room given to us used to be a smoking room. I went back to the front desk and Randy kindly switched us to non-smoking room. The rooms are very tight and small, but that doesn't really matter much since we used the room only for sleeping and showering. My husband enjoyed the free coffee (available 24/7). This hotel doesn't offer any breakfast.

Room Tip: Check the room before purchasing to make sure it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke if you are s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shannon W
Spanish Fork, Utah
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Hotel was very clean and comfortable. We appreciated the free guest laundry-that was a nice surprise! The staff was very helpful and accommodating, Randy and Clarence were especially helpful. It looks like I gave the restaurant a bad rating, that isn't true, there just wasn't one- but there were many close, and they did offer discount coupons.

Room Tip: We like no-smoking, and there were plenty. It's on top of a hill, it's quiet. The rooms are...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Morgan W
stuttgart, germany
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I called and got a quote of $95, told them I was going to be right there for that room and quote. I arrived 5 min later and they sold that room and would not offer me another room for that quote. They gave me a room for $130 and said that was already discounted so they wouldnt give me the military $5 off. While checking in I heard Clarence (who was very rude to us - no customer service skills at all) lie to another customer getting a quote. He said the room rate was $149 for the same room we got, I told the guy clarence was lieing to him and we just got it for $130.

Room Tip: Drive to a surrounding city-town to save some $ on a room. Book online far in advance.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Keystone hotels

eau claire
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stay away from this place. I wish I read this review before making a reservation there. I have 3 kids and wanted a non-smoking room. So the agent said that they got one left and so I made the reservation. After we checked in, I realized that what I'm getting is a smoking room. The people there tried to sprayed with some kind of chemical so that I couldn't tell, but I'm a non smoker so I can't be fooled. I when and talk to the front desk people and that I want a refund back so I can go find another place with non-smoking room, but they refused to and threaded to call the police on me and my family if we don't stop. I left this place for good. My recommendation is stay away from this place. If anyone need to get in touch with me please email me at tomayang@ymail.com

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tomas y
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My daughter and I searched around the town of Keystone for a good value during mid-September. The hotel announces rooms for as low as $49.00 if you want a bottom floor, bare bones single bed room. We ended up staying here paying $99/night for a suite which was very nice and an excellent view of the hills and the townsite from our small balcony. The room was very clean, the A/C worked wonderfully and having amenities like a refrigerator, microwave, kitchen sink, dual TV's with one in a separate sitting room as well as separate wash basins made the room very enjoyable. I wish the TV offered more than 25 very basic channels including 1 (count 'em one) HBO channel. The parking lot was very well lit. The indoor pool was about the same size as the rest of the hotels in the area; we didn't care for the fact that several rooms opened out/overlooked the pool but this was minor. The pool area was clean. The small hot tub did not produce any jets when turned on but was plenty hot. The 6-7 video games near the pool area were convenient but only 3 were functioning. We did not take "advantage" of the whopping 10% off the buffet they offered but elected to eat in town (Big Time Pizza comes highly recommended!). The hotel sits on a hill overlooking the town of Keystone at the base of Mt Rushmore and is very convenient to the entire town, nearby Gold Mine, and numerous quaint/touristy shops. Compared to the cost of the other hotels and what they offer, I think for the price we got a very good deal.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra on the suite rooms on the 3rd floor - you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric O
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 1 September 2011

1st off they advertise rooms $49.95 but when you go in to get the room it's double that price. 2nd room as very small. 3rd next day the credit card we used for this room was put on hold due to fraudulent charges. Can't prove but feel it came from this place. After staying we talked to some locals who advised this place was run by crooks. Staff was not helpful or polite...this was worse place we stayed in our 2 weeks of traveling.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family