K Bar S Lodge
US$131
Brookside Motel(Keystone)
US$113
US$86
All reviewswashington's profilewafflesfire pitmt rushmorebeautiful groundsmain buildingblack hillswild turkeysfree laundrybalcony roomroad scholarseparate buildingpartial viewhot chocolatedistant viewlit up at nightoff the beaten path
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This lodge is set on a very beautiful piece of property. Could see Washington's
profile from balcony..liked that. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, but could offer more choices. Off the main drag which was nice. Rms were clean and comfortable. Liked the lobby w/ tv and fireplace, free coffe, tea, and hot chocolate. Had a lit firepit each night which we thought was nice although we didn't get a chance to enjoy it. I too thought the sheets were wrinkled, but it was just the pattern of the mattress. Towels weren't the nicest I've seen but they were clean and usable.

Room Tip: Main building has less stairs. I would reccommend a room with a balcony.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Night front desk was very friendly. Got to the room late and flipped open the sheets to see that they were wrinkled so they probably wash themselves and I agree with the other reviewer. The sheets were scratchy and the towels thin. We saw the profile of Washington and a faint view of Jefferson with binoculars. Still beautiful property though. Breakfast included a waffle maker, yogurt, dry cereal, toast, and I guess some du jour and I think when I was there they had bacon and hard boiled eggs. I have had similar breakfast styles at other hotels except usually you serve yourself. Here I think they're portion controlling by having a person serve you. It was okay for a free breakfast so no complaints. Check out has to be done at the desk. There is no auto or check out on your tv. Kind of happy with this because the woman who checked us out recommended directions on where we should go and where a great place she found to eat was. I chose this place because a friend had gone here but since it was off season it wasn't what I thought. There was no fire pit with people at night socializing and the monument was not lit at night from what I could see and I didn't see the train running ( but maybe that it was at times when I was not there). Free coffee and tea 24 hours, that was nice.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The other hotel we stayed at in the area was booked for our last night, so we had to switch to another hotel. We picked the K Bar S Lodge for it's location which is the best thing I can say for the place. The room was very average, the towels were like paper-thin, and the linens were scratchy. The soap was poor and I hate plastic cups wrapped in plastic.
I do have to say that the free breakfast was very good.
I would not recommend to my friends

1  Thank hillhifi
Jordan O, Front Office Manager at K Bar S Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Hello hillhifi!

I am so sorry to hear that your experience at our lodge was less than amazing. We have noted your complaints and taken action. We have replaced towels, linens, and soaps in all 96 rooms. We have also added Keurig coffee makers, refrigerators, and MP3 alarm clocks to the rooms. Our team is committed to making the lodge the best it can be. Thank you for complimenting our breakfast. We hope you give us another chance in the future! Take care.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed one night on 09/21/13. The first issue we had was that the TV didn't work - after a little time, they got it fixed.

When we were ready to go to bed, we opened the bed to find a pillow with a dirty pillow case. Fortunately, only one of the 3 pillows fell into the dirty category. I left a note with the front desk and thought that I would at least get a call from the manager - no call.

Both of these issues tend to point to a housekeeping staff that isn't doing their job or isn't being properly managed.

There are lots of other accommodations available in/near Keystone, perhaps you may want to explore other options.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, avoid the rooms off of the lobby - they tend to be noisy especially when someone uses the side door.
5  Thank GWeis
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights here during our 3 week trip to S. Dakota and Wyoming. We wished we'd had another day so we could visit Deadwood and Dances With Wolves filming locations.

We were given a lovely room with a deck and a view of Mount Rushmore. We were told we'd see Mount Rushmore floodlit at night from our deck. This was somewhat exaggerated, as only a profile of 2 of the Presidents was visible at any time of day. However, the location was perfect in all other respects, with massive grounds and wild turkeys, deer and rattlesnakes on site. The 1880 train passes the bottom of the gardens several times a day and stops here once a week. (for certain Groups, not sure whom) There's a kind of BBQ/ornament to sit around at night in the grounds and this is permanently lit during the hours of darkness.

Breakfasts were splendid and taken in the huge conservatory upstairs. There are no facilities for dinner, but it's only 3 minutes by car into Keystone, where Ruby's was a superb place to eat. (Be sure to book) Meals at the Lodge, other than breakfast, are available for only private functions.

There was free wifi and automatic washing machine/tumble-dryer. The staff, especially Jordan Olsen were very helpful. He gave us his personal email address, as replies were non-existent to a couple of the messages I needed to send. (It took 3 months to acquire a room for the whole 3 nights, and he was particularly good in this respect.)

We would definitely recommend this unusual Lodging for anyone visiting the area. Hopefully, there'll be fridges in all the rooms next year. Fetching ice is a slight nuisance, especially at the price.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a deck and profile view of Mount Rushmore.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple