“Close to the Monument” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Glen Arm, Maryland
“Close to the Monument”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

This was a great place to stay if you are going to see Mt. Rushmore. It was clean, neat, and the breakfast was good. It was very convenient to the Mt. Don't miss the light show on the Mt. It is spectacular!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mzmd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Lawrenceville, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

The hotel is comfortable and cleaner than I expected. The front desk service was good. The breakfast each morning was adequate (typical hotel food). Thank you for putting out the cream and creamers! Morning coffee is so very important to me and my husband and the first morning without real cream or half and half was brutal. Also thanks for putting out yogurt each morning. Shout out to the friendly breakfast staff we saw each morning. Fortunately our visit was the week before memorial day weekend when prices are lower and state parks have their "open house" meaning free entrance. I thought coming before the tourist season was in full swing would mean less service but I'm happy to say that was not the case. There is a GREAT restaurant down the road called the Powder House. Don't let the outside looks fool you. It was the best in Keystone and not that pricey. They also serve Prairie Berry Wine. I'm glad we stayed here and not in Rapid City although it was only a 20 mile drive into RC. We went to see the lighting of Mt. Rushmore one night so having a hotel close by was nice. Also, we enjoyed staying in the mountains as opposed to a small city.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BonnieND
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Best thing about this place close to mount Rushmore Park. This must have been a good hotel once, but the management now is awful, it looked as kids were running it for summer money. the breakfast was poor ,slow to replace due to lack of staff, the one helpful woman looked overrun. The so called fresh Fruit was terrible and should have been replaced Brown bananas etc the muffins were still frozen and the choice poor.
The reception boy with red dyed hair was rude and constantly head down on his phone it appeared or out front doing the same smoking.
The room was big but the Sheets and towels were terrible, wasn't sure if they were meant to we white or just looked dirty worn,thin creamy in colour.
The worst was pets were allowed to stay in the hotel which we were not aware of. We would never have stayed there due to disable relative. The room had a fluff mark a 1in from the room so no nozzle used for these area.
This place could be good with the right care and management.until then find a better more caring place

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank D E
MarkMGT, Owner at The Lodge at Mount Rushmore, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Please be advised that I have shared your comments with the entire staff. I am pleased that you liked the location. We receive several on-line completed surveys through Best Western, employ secret shoppers, and receive many unsolicited on-line reviews, with almost all guests loving our breakfast and our accommodations.
Yes, we do allow pets (dogs only) in a few designated rooms close to the exits. It is very common in the US for some people to travel with their dogs. Our management team is very experienced at this property and willing to help guests plan their Black Hills vacations.

Happy Travels!
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The staff was very friendly and efficient and our room was clean and comfortable. The gentleman at the front desk gave us a great dinner recommendation and check in/out was quick and easy. Breakfast was okay, typical hotel pre-made items, not excellent but not bad. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

The Best Western Keystone is a beautiful hotel, well designed, and offering amenities such as a mini fridge and microwave in the room, as well as a breakfast buffet that was really pretty good!

The service did lack a bit, though, as we did need to wait at the front desk for about 15 minutes while the desk clerk completed something he was doing. Not quite sure what it was, but we waited and were served a bit later. Also there was no desk clerk when we went down to ask for another blanket on our first night's stay. When we did get the blanket the second night we were told they didn't have any extras of the kind we wanted (soft duvet style) so they gave us a wool type blanket. It worked out, but was just strange in a hotel of this stature.

The location was a bit out of the way, you definitely need a car if you choose to stay here. That being said it was also out of the noise and bustle of town, which was a definitely plus. Nice swimming pool and great breakfast buffet (eggs, sausage or bacon, muffins, croissants, yogurt, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, and make your own waffles) made this a very nice place to stay for the most part.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda N
Owens Cross Roads, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

First impressions are so important and the first impression for this stay likely means I won't come back. That's unfortunate because the hotel is nice, convenient, clean and everyone else is wonderful. When I was checking in at dusk after a LONG day of driving, the young man behind the counter let me stand there without even making eye contact for seven minutes. He was talking to a customer on the phone (I think), but he was barely serving that person from the side of the conversation I could hear, and if I had not prepaid, I would have walked. As I had time to wait I noticed the clerk had spent a lot of time and money on personal appearance, piercing much of his tongue, ears and body and apparently tried hard to be different. He was. When I check in I don't want to see different, I want to see comfort, care and if possible courtesy. What I got was different. Unfortunate, because the hotel is well-designed and the overnight clerk who helped me in the morning was EXCELLENT. He was fantastic. Breakfast was good, too and the room was clean. But the memory I will take with me is the excruciating seven or eight minutes I stood waiting and watching and wondering what it felt like to have one's tongue pierced and why that face never apologized or said "may I help you," or even "just a moment, please." He may be a nice guy, but I never found out.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarkMGT, Owner at The Lodge at Mount Rushmore, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that you liked the hotel design and that the property was clean. The entire staff works very hard to keep the hotel
in great shape. I have discussed your experience re. the front desk staff. We take customer service very seriously here. Please stop in next time you are in Keystone, we would live to have you back!

Travelers tip: If you are traveling with a pet, please call the hotel and confirm that the hotel
has your reservation designated as such. Sometimes third-party sites
(Orbitz, Expedia) do not pass this info along to the hotel.

Happy Travels...
Dawsonville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

There was snow in the drive-up and parking lot so it was a little treacherous, but the facility was nice. Breakfast was good, bed comfortable. When we went to check out EARLY, the young man at the desk was not trained for checkout and had to call the manager. Set us back a few minutes but not too bad. Would stay here again probably. The shower needed a new redirector. It was corroded and didn't fully redirect the water. The room was plenty big but the TV only had 13 channels and made people on the screen look like glowing-eyed aliens.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Mountain View Lodge & Cabins

Been to The Lodge at Mount Rushmore? Share your experiences!