Book now, pay at stay
US$131
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$127
US$123
All reviewscooked breakfastbeautiful surroundingsfarm tracklovely guesthousewinding lanewarm welcomelounge areabed was comfortablebiscuitssnowdonsatnavtakeawayportmeiriontelevisionensuite
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I booked this on the internet and thought I was taking a gamble - if I was I must have won the jackpot. Four of us stayed for one night (unfortunately) as it is the sort of place you arrive at and do not want to leave in a hurry. The venue is delightful with lots of lovely personal touches, the scenery around is amazing, the food is outstanding and the staff couldnt have been nicer - a little gem!

Room Tip: I would imagine that all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This stay of only two days with my wife and mother-in-law was so good that I find myself writing a review (I never write reviews but I came away with a real sense of excitement at having discovered somewhere special)! The location is superb: whether sitting outside in the sun or in the bar with a glass of sauvignon blanc the view is spectacular. And at breakfast, with the mist over the estuary framed by the mountains and in the middle distance a moving white plume of smoke from an early steam train: I will never forget that image.
The narrow lane and then track to the hotel from the A4085 is 'interesting' but not a problem, though it might be in icy conditions. The 1:50,000 O.S. map shows the hotel clearly (marked Hotel) but the 1:25,000 is inaccurate because the hotel is where it says Brynllydan and not where it says Hotel. Don’t follow road signs into the hamlet of Llanfrothen, stay on the A4085.
The rooms are clean and spacious. All the rooms seem to have been purpose built which means there are no funny quirks, good insulation etc. Carpets are new and the walls of rooms and corridors are white which adds to the feeling of cleanliness. The bed was comfortable and I liked the duvet cover design. The shower worked well and I believe that the avocado suites are being replaced this winter.
It was unexpected to find a small hotel with such a quality restaurant. It passed my carrot test, i.e. the vegetables were perfectly cooked being neither al donte nor mushy. The Sunday roast was delicious and so were my lamb chops. The great advantage of such a restaurant on site is that one does not have to drive and I found the wine list exactly to my taste even though I never managed to try beyond the house wines on this occasion. Breakfast too was excellent.
We could not fault the welcome or the service, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Colleen clearly cares passionately about her hotel and is keen to improve it still further. This is an excellent small hotel and we will return.

Room Tip: Half the rooms have the same exceptional view that you get from the bar and lounge; only one room does not have a lovely view over the countryside.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stumbled across this gem on the internet. It is in a beautiful location with lovely views, best admired sitting outside with a pint of local brew before going into dinner. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, they all made us feel very welcome. The rooms were perfect for our needs. Very comfortable and quiet. Very good breakfast, tasty and generous. We arrived on a Monday. It's the only day that the restaurant is closed, but Colleen gave us good recommendations locally and organised a taxi for us. The rest of our stay we used the restaurant in the hotel. Could not fault the menu, food or service. The hotel is ideally located for the Snowdonia region being central to many places. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. If you stay there and don't enjoy the visit you must be Victor Meldrew.

Room Tip: I think there are only eight bedroom, but they are all in a good location.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobbybilly49
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband and I and a couple of friends chose this hotel from internet information - including TA - so it was a 'stab in the dark' as none of us live locally. We fell on our feet.

The hotel is in a secluded location with stunning views over the Snowdonia national park and the Afon Dwyryd estuary. It takes some nerve to continue down what seems a never-ending track to the hotel from the main road between Penrhyndeudraeth and Beddgelert but the hotel is quiet and peaceful and if the weather is good, you could sit and watch the view for hours with a glass of local Porthmadog-brewed beer, and if not, enjoy the same in the snug with its coal stove radiating comforting heat. We experienced this latter firsthand because it rained cats and dogs during part of our stay!!

We were warmly welcomed by Colleen the owner, and her cheerfulness and 'can do' attitude was reflected by every member of the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, and we were made to feel at home very quickly.

Our rooms, 6 and 7, were spacious with lovely views, plenty of hot water and good baths as well as showers, plenty of storage space and comfortable beds. Our accommodation needs were perfectly met.

We found the breakfasts very tasty and generous, in particular the locally sourced bacon and sausages, with bottomless tea and coffee and cheerful and attentive waiting staff.

We arrived on a Monday evening which was the one night that the restaurant is closed. Colleen had warned us of this in advance but had details of several local restaurants and pubs that were serving food that night. We took up her suggestion of the banquet at Sima's Indian Restaurant on the High Street in Porthmadog (Sunday to Tuesday, prebooking obligatory) and had a fantastically high quality meal at an almost unbelievably low price, which we recommend to anyone arriving on a Monday ...

We opted to eat at the hotel on the two following nights. The chef couldn't put a foot wrong! Delicious meals - the lamb chops were succulent, the sea bass and trout fresh and juicy, and as for the duck ... heavenly - with generous portions of fresh vegetables and grattan sides, a local speciality of leeks in cheese sauce ... how much more Welsh can you get!! The wine list went well with the dishes offered and the prices were very reasonable.

A previous poster mentioned a wait for dinner. As all dishes are freshly cooked to order this seems only reasonable; we never had to wait more than 15 minutes, and this passed very quickly with a schooner of Tio Pepe sherry. I cannot speak highly enough of the charming waitresses, who did their best to make the meal service efficient but never rushed, and who coped well with a couple of guests for whom English was not their first language.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Brynllydan to visitors seeking clean and comfortable accommodation with genuinely friendly and capable owners. This is not a 5* hotel and makes no pretence of being such. If you want a clean bed, a comfortable room and good food, this would suit you well. (However if you want a bed turndown service, internet hookup in your room or a spa, look elsewhere! )

The hotel is very well placed for visiting Portmeirion and taking the Welsh Highland and Bleaenau Ffestiniog railways and as a home base or a staging point on a walking or cycling holiday. I would not hesitate to come here again for quality, friendliness and honest pricing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alsacienne
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The welcome was warm and friendly. The room was compact but very clean with a comfy bed, extra blankets if required and a really light and spacious bathroom.

Breakfast was perfect, with offers of extra toast and tea etc and a really good way to start the day.

Dinner was amazing, having read some reviews, we decided to have dinner on the second night. The service was attentive, the food was of a 5 star standard with delicious trout and local lamb - and the dessert was top class too.

Recommend this hotel to family, friends and complete strangers - It is everything you could possibly want from a secluded hotel with spectacular views of the Snowdonia National Park.

Room Tip: Room 1 had perfect views of the Welsh Hills
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple