“Disappointed on return visit”

Brynllydan Country Guest House
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have previously visited this hotel on couple of occasions. And stayed there specifically because of the location being away from everything and having an amazing restaurant on site so once you arrived you could enjoy the views, relax, get a drink at the bar and snack and sit and enjoy the views and look forward to the great restaurant even locals loved. To our disappointment on our visit this weekend we arrived to be told there was no restaurant (which was the only reason we booked again because of the restaurant on site). This is not advertised to make previous guests aware of. And when we tried to order drinks in the afternoon on our arrival there is very limited choice on offer, limited drinks and alcohol at bar and no snacks - no crisps etc. With regards to the room our view from the window was nice but no wifi in rooms, this is restricted to bar location. the shower in the room was terrible very slow and no power, not good. Unfortunately disappointed as expected to pay same price as previous trips when facilities are not the same, but to a lower standard. The power even cut off in the hotel several times in the afternoon, whilst we were deciding what we were going to about a meal in the evening. I would also suggest googling local restaurants if you choose to stay as there are some lovely local restaurants compared to which are not listed in their suggestions booklet for places to eat. We unfortunately will not be staying ever again. Very disappointed with our return visit.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Al0123
There are newer reviews for Brynllydan Country Guest House

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a gem ! 4 day break in an amazing location with views across the valley to Snowdon.
Well hidden. Warm welcome. Good clean accommodation and very comfortable. We would certainly return. No evening meals, but breakfast is good and well served.

Space to relaxe outside and enjoy the wonderful views

Access is a little difficult, but follow the signs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

A few years ago I was on a business trip and stayed at one of those chain hotels. The bed was scratchy. The food was appalling. The place had a complete lack of character. It was about £90 per night. I remember staying for an evening meal described as Beef Stew. It was about one spoonful and cost £10. That was criminal. In the morning a cooked breakfast tasted like it had been cooked in salt.

From that moment on I decided that I would only ever stay in boutique hotels and holidays aside it has taken several years to practice what I preach.

Work needed me to visit various sites in North Wales and this was the hotel I picked. I could have stayed at the Travel Lodge in Porthmadog for £17 less but have to pay for wifi which would have ultimately made it more expensive anyway.

So after a long 5 hour drive this place was exactly what I wanted. I was made very welcome. The room was spacious, clean and well designed. Spot on for a 3 star I'd say and a universe away from those chain hotels.

For the evening meal I had plaice goujons and tartar sauce, Delicious but not spectacular. However the main course of honey and rosemary lamb cutlets where simply irresistable and served with a mountain of side dishes. Very reasonably priced too. To wash them down I sampled the locally brewed Purple Moose beer. A real thirst quencher after the long drive.

The beds are what they are and I had no complaints. Perhaps the pillows could be softer but I'm being picky.

As I was planning a long busy day I decided to eat the full cooked breakfast. This was very well cooked and served without any delay.

In the evening I returned from work to write some reports - the wifi - which note is FREE - was fast and trouble free - but you need to be in the lounge to be sure. Oh the lounge and restaurant are rustic and a wood fire keeps everything warm. If you like the rustic look then this is the place for you.

The next day I had an early start and I was worried my check out would be delayed because of breakfast. But no - very smooth and I was on my way on time.

If you want to stay somewhere very quiet - and its deathly so - with a fantastic view then this really is a brilliant place to stay. The building is quite old so the walls are thick which means you don't hear anything happening in the corridor or next door.

I would add a slight caveat to the road leading up to the hotel. It is quite rough so if you're thinking of nipping up there in a low slung sports car I'd think again.

A really great find and highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

A journey down a long windy lane sets the mood for a real escape to this beautiful part of the world. The views are, of course, amazing, but this doesn't stop the hotel from making an effort for its guests rather than just relying on its location. We received a friendly welcome and after settling into our comfortable room (with snazzy mirror that has surrounding lights) we booked in for the best evening meal we have had in a long time. I had a vegetarian meal (of which there were two options, often a rare treat to be able to choose) and my boyfriend had the lamb. Both meals were very generous and really tasty. Far better than the expensive restaurant we had been to the night before! Breakfast was equally as good. Lovely to have this all on site as trekking into the local town for an evening meal might have been a bit of a long drive back down the quiet lane (although doable). What more could you want? Definitely value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

What a great little hotel. The hospitality was absolutely fantastic. The rooms are spacious & well presented. The restaraunt is wonderful & the food was exceptional. As a party of six all on motorcycles we were welcomed & treated really well. I dont normally do reviews but due to the fantastic treatment from the ownwer & the staff I felt I had to. Apart from the warm welcome the location is out of this world with fantastic vistas of snowdonia. Will definately be making a return trip in the future. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful treatment, great food & great local ales which we sampled to the extreme.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank anthony o
Reviewed 9 September 2013

To get to the hotel there is a long drive, which can be a little tricky on a motorcycle, but nowhere near impossible. As part of a party of six (three couples) I stayed here for one night. I can’t thank the staff enough for the welcome and treatment we all received. There are some great local beers behind the bar if you fancy a nice pint; I can personally recommend the Purple Moose. We all had a great meal followed by a good night’s sleep. In the morning before we left we had a hearty cooked breakfast with loads of toast and tea/coffee. My wife and I found the room clean, quiet and quite spacious. We all agreed that we’d come back to stay here again if we can. To sum it up, a lovely hotel in a lovely part of the world.

Room Tip: Room 8 on the end, probably the quietist.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here to do some walking in North Wales and to Visit Portmierion village.
Great location, but it is in the wilds a bit, However this added to it's charm and it was very peaceful and relaxing in a beautiful location. It is quite far down a farm track/road, but keep going and you will get there.

Room was a little small for a double, but it was acceptable. It was clean and every thing worked etc. Bathroom was good as well.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening and it was very good(But not cheap).
Breakfast was again very good with the cooked breakfast made to order.

Staff were welcoming and friendly and there is ample parking outside.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrhyndeudraeth
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 6 in Talsarnau
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#2 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to Brynllydan Country Guest House? Share your experiences!