“Lovely gardens by a lake”
Review of Pant-yr-Ochain

Pant-yr-Ochain
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Gresford
Price range: US$61 - US$61
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Pant is a picture-postcard manor house with a long sweeping drive and majestic trees, overlooking a small lake surrounded by hills and hollows. Inside it's the same thing - a 16th Century inglenook fireplace, nooks and crannies everywhere and history seeping through its veins.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

- plenty of parking but the lanes down to it are quite narrow
- gorgeous house, full of character, with the most delightful gardens overlooking a lake
- very dog friendly outside with plenty of water bowls
- food is very good but a tad expensive including the vegetarian options but they do
cater for food allergies
- the smaller bite options are a good idea and the coffee and smaller pudding for £6.95
is excellent value
- full size meals are rather large but well cooked
- toilets clean
- ok for disabled
- the gardens are very well maintained and the flower beds are a riot of colour in the
summer - probably the best gardens for a meal in the whole of Wrexham
- staff are very efficient & friendly
- they have a ghost who appears in the lake towards nightfall, so they say, although
not seen it myself
- booking is essential as it does get very busy
- nice conservatory to sit in with tables of different sizes from large ones seating 10-12
or more intimate ones - this is quite cool in summer with all the windows open
- lots of tables in the main rooms of the house too, not formal with lots of space around
each - you dont feel too enclosed or squashed in anywhere really

2  Thank Netty M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Hey, heading home at the end of a wonderful day walking in North Wales, Conwy to Llandudno and the Orme's summit I was in need of food, beer and company. I remembered fondly this pub from 30 + years ago when I last visited with a girlfriend. Well it's still there and even better than I remember it being.

Now under the ownership of Brunning and Price it has great decor and layout in large, airy and stylish rooms and a lovely beer garden. My fishcake and poached egg was perfect and the Titanic bitter slipped down a treat! The bar staff were very friendly as I was on my own; I sat at the bar and I think they all chatted to me throughout the evening....sorry Florence if you got in trouble for asking me about my saxophone! I finished my meal off with a coffee and small hot waffle - just perfect.

Alas the girlfriend from those distant days is long gone but the pub is still there better than ever and not showing the slightest sign of being a faded beauty.

1  Thank Alec W
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Very pleasant restaurant in an idyllic position. Very busy on a Saturday and need to book. Food well prepared and good value. The lamb particularly so. Drinks were not too expensive. Staff efficient without being overbearing .

Easy to park a car. Only qualm is finding restaurant as on a narrow road and easy to miss

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Called recently for lunch. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and we chose to sit in the beautiful garden, with our dog.
I’m always impressed when a place advertises as dog friendly but you can see evidence of this straight away.
As we arrived in the garden, there were multiple dog bowls of different sizes, filled with water. We found a table, near a tree for some shade for the dog and collected one of the dog bowls. Food and drinks were ordered and arrived quickly. The staff were lovely, but then a lovely lady member of staff came over with a jar of dog treats to ‘meet’ Ollie, after a brief conversation we guessed she may well be the a Manager, but everyone, without fail, were lovely.
Food was fantastic, so freshly cooked, good portions and great value for money.
We’ve been several times and have always enjoyed the food and atmosphere, but the positive, welcoming attitude to our four legged friends is amazing.

1  Thank Janpal24
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Have visited many times, a lovely pub which serves high quality food.
My latest visit was on a beautiful summers evening so I took my dog and we sat outside in the pretty well maintained large garden.
Not only was our service first class but my dog was brought a bowl of water and some biscuits.
Excellent large menu choice with a selection of starters, mains, light bites, sandwiches and deserts. Nice coffee too! The food we had was tasty, good portion sizes and very nicely presented too.
This pub is made up of lots of different rooms and old tables and chairs with lots of bookcases so there is plenty of character here.
Large car park although seems lots of lazy people like to try and park by the door, please leave the Disabled spaces for Disabled people!
Nice clean toilets.