“What a wonderful retreat on the banks of the River Wye, terrific food, comfortable rooms and excellent service.”
Review of The River Cafe B&B

The River Cafe B&B
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I rarely write reviews but just had to acknowledge this marvellous B&B and cafe. I only stayed one night but wish I could have stayed a week.

The rooms were very comfortable and well laid out with everything you could need - I stayed in room 4 ( note the web site numbering is incorrect but I'm sure willl be corrected soon) great shower and really comfortable bed - although only a glimpse of the river it didn't detract from the ambiance.

But the highlight of my stay was the fantastic welcome and the dedication of all the staff. I can't remember the last time I was made so welcome - anywhere.

The food in the restaurant was delightful, AA Gill gave the place 4* across the board and he wasn't wrong! The breakfast was to die for and kept me going all day.

I can't recommend this place enough - I fact I shouldn't be writing this as I should be keeping it as my best kept secret location, I will certainly be back again very soon.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Willnk

Reviewed 22 August 2012

A short break for 2 families with 4 children, 2 vegetarians, 1 vegan including a child with multiple dietary requirements. The River Cafe were superb. We phoned ahead to advise Jane, Alex and the Team of the situation and they took care of everything.
Food was fabulous, and unlike the previous reviewer we had no issues with illness - a number of us even had a variety of seafood dishes.
We will be returning and recommending the River Cafe B&B to our friends and families.
As well as good food and accomodation they are next door to Wye Valley Canoes who arranged a two day Canoe trip down the Wye with a guide to ensure we were safe.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nigel B
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Ate on the 26 july. Everything went well until 5am I found myself vomiting. I felt like death for 48 hrs and fully recovered a few days later. I had the scallops and steak. It's a shame as I love the location.

• Stayed: July 2012
janeelizabethWales, Owner at The River Cafe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

I am sorry that you have been ill. I immediately telephoned the Environmental Health Office but they had had no reports of illness. Indeed 46 portions of scallops were served over the same two day period and we had no other complaints. The fish supplier from Cornwall also had received no complaints about the scallops. The Environmental Health Officer told me that illness is usually caused by an airbourne virus, and can often be by something as simple as a sneeze. We take a great deal of pride in our cooking and in the high standards of the kitchen. The Environmental Health Officer shared my belief that it was most unlikely to have come from the restaurant. We hope you come and enjoy a meal with us again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

If we could go more often we would!! Very,enthusiastic, friendly and welcoming. A meal outside on a Summer's evening with a view along the Wye is unforgettable. If you enjoy canoeing then there can be few better places to stay in the UK. You would find it hard to get a better breakfast at any B and B. Simple, attractive rooms, 2 in particular, looking over the river. Book early if you plan to visit at Hay Festival time!

Room Tip: Only two of the four roome have view immediately looking over the River Wye
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GillandRichard1
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed in the River Cage again yesterday [31st May 2012] We went canoeing from the centre next door. After the days canoeing to The Boat Inn at Whitney we returned to the River Cafe. The staff were really friendly and couldnt do enough to help, even secured us a table in the window for the evening meal. The accomodation is good, we had a room looking onto the river which can be a little noisy so close to the road. The evening meal was fantastic, Scallops and Chorizo to start and the skewered Monk Fish was fantastic!!! a lovely atmosphere and staff who couldnt do enough for us, very attentive. Breakfast was lovely too, we had the same table in the window. Local produce [full english] helped along with local apple juice. To cap it all 'the' Will Young walked in [ Must have heard we were staying there!! lol]. We have stayed in the River Cafe a couple of times now but this was by far our best of the best stays. I would recommend the place to anybody. If you are going to the Hay Festival it would be a great place to base yourselves perhaps why we couldnt get a vaccancy for the Friday night.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto the river can be noisy because of the road. We had one with a lovely bath but the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at The River Cafe, we were in Wales taking part in a 75 mile sponsored charity ride, doing 25 miles a day, The River Cafe provided us with a brilliant hearty breakfast to start the day and a lovely warm comfortable base to come back to after some very hard days of riding. One evening our whole group of about 25 people all dined at The Cafe, we were all made very welcome with a lovely filling dinner and a brilliant atmosphere. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable, the staff were lovely too, so friendly, we couldn't fault this place and would defiantly return

Room Tip: Room 3 is facing the road which can be a little noisy in the early morning but it is very spacious
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Lovely position, very well thought out décor, friendly attentive staff, great Italian menu........ so imagine our disappointment when the bread and olives arrived (bearing in mind the Italian background) and instead of the anticipated focaccia or similar with some delicious olives,we got those tasteless black pitted cheap as chips ones and some French stick of the mass catering part baked variety. We had ordered a starter of fried aubergine which was delicious but small, just one slice with a little salad, a bit mean for £6.50.The main course lasagne and salad was also very tasty.......we would like to visit again and hope maybe for some lovely Italian bread and olives to match the quality of the rest of the menu.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjabbot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glasbury-on-Wye
The Three Cocks Coaching Inn
#2 of 28 in Hay-on-Wye
Old Radnor Barn B&B
Old Radnor Barn B&B
#1 of 7 in Talgarth

Been to The River Cafe B&B? Share your experiences!