“Overall this is a good place to stay and a just fine place to eat.”

and 1 more site!
The Beach House Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Overall this is a good place to stay and a just fine place to eat.”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I originally visited this b'n'b before it's new management and was a little worried when I saw it had changed hands. But needlessly so. My stay was comfortable, well-attended and the restaurant is good.

I'll start with the positives, because there are some negatives.
The hotel is flexible on check in, so when we arrived at 5pm it was no fuss. The rooms are good sizes, with very comfortable, clean sheets. The suite is the biggest with a sitting area and two windows, whilst the other rooms are simply a bed space. The en suites are clean, with complementary towels and shower products. There is a tea station in every room, wardrobe or some where to hang clothes (handy as we were there for a wedding) and TV with freeview.
The view is something you pay extra for, and is of the Bristol channel and the promendade. This looks particularly sweet at night, with the lights twinkling in the distance and a string of coloured bulbs along the promenade.
The restaurant is technically separate from the hotel, so please don't judge one by the other. I have ceoliac disease (cannot eat gluten), which usually causes all sorts of problems. The head chef spoke to me himself to run me through everything and it's ingredients, was happy to make substitutions and was helpful. We ate in the restaurant that night and had breakfast there the next morning. The breakfast for paying guests is flexible. You name it, he'll cook it. Which was quite nice.
The staff were very helpful and really made this stay. They gave us directions when asked, waited on us in the evenings attentively and went above and beyond - even spending a lot of time getting the wi-fi code for us.
Also there is ample parking.

Now the negatives:
The rooms could be better decorated, and these small touches would go a long way to upping the comfort of the rooms. The price under the new management was higher than before, but there was nothing new to justify the increase. The price for a side view room was £79 and for a sea view £89. This is a little steep.
You should know that the sea view rooms, whilst the view is nice, can be loud. With the staff going home late and the one-way road in between, you cannot leave your windows open to hear the sea at night.
The food at the restaurant sounded a lot better on paper, but was by no means awful. The dishes could be revised somewhat so the sides compliment the main focus of the dish, but generally I was happy. The waiters were a little slow and did forget a coke we ordered, but to that I say have a little sympathy. Waiting staff are only human.

Overall this is a good place to stay and a just fine place to eat. If you choose to stay here and the other reviews have put you off the food, I suggest the Fig Tree down the road.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms may not be worth the extra £10er.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnglishTripHead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is the first time I've written a review but felt compelled to do so as the food was so bad. It was pretty average before the restaurant changed hands and we thought it might have improved but how wrong we were. Although the waiters were smiley, they were nervous and unknowledgeable and forgot to bring the water and even forgot to ask my partner how he wanted his steak to be cooked so he had to follow the waiter back to the bar to tell him. The steak was not cooked in the way that had been requested and was flavourless. I had the overpriced £20 fish platter which tasted really awful. I think the problem is that the fish was not fresh and that it had been previously frozen but the waiter denied this and said it was fresh. Clearly they source the absolute cheapest produce which is on its last legs and then have the nerve to insult their customers by serving this rubbish. I asked for a salad to replace the fries and what turned up was a bowl of iceberg lettuce with dried out cucumber and wrinkle skinned pieces of tomato. Grim.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L Y

Travellers are raving about these Penarth hotels

UK
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I decided to visit this newly taken over restaurant (now named the Pier Hotel) for brunch with friends. It is located in a great spot on Penarth seafront with lovely views. We were the only guests so we were expecting good food and service. When our eggs benedict was served, we were surprised to see it accompanied by a tired looking salad (strange in itself for 9am) which included a wrinkled piece of cucumber and the poached eggs were all hard boiled - not runny like you would expect with an eggs benedict! On complaining to the waiter and asking for new eggs we could hear swearing from the kitchen and before the food returned my friend found a thick black hair in her salad. We decided at this point that all appetites were lost and decided to go else where. We were so disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank West17
Cardiff
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Only popped in for breakfast as we wanted to try somewhere new in Penarth, but we will not be returning. We were totally ignored for an age. When ordering we wanted to make a slight change to the order to be informed they could not do it. It was one change which if requested we would have paid extra. So we just went somewhere else. At no stage did the staff attempt to explain why, our assumption was due to food being microwaved.. Its a shame as location is good but staff can ruin a place and we will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rhooseboy
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I want to give the place a good review. But I can't.
It wasn't particularly busy and yet after sitting with the previous seat occupiers dirty dishes for ten minutes I cleared them myself.
It was twenty minutes before I could tempt someone over to take our order and it took an absurd amount of time to bring over two coffees and two waters. In the end, I had to get the hot milk for our white coffees myself, I couldn't wait anymore.
My friend had the Sunday Roast and she was complementary about the vegatables however, the meat was a large percentage of fat and so it was a chore to eat. I had the fish and chips, which was lovely once I'd used the napkin to wipe up all the greece, but I had to go and ask for the tartare sauce.
Overall, we didn't leave satisfied with the experience. At no time did anyone say "Is everything ok?" or "Is there anything I can get you", the policy seems to be to provide the bare minimum...slowly. A little more needs to be done by them in training their staff to be effective customer service providers. It almost felt like there was an air of resentment with some of the younger workers that they had to be in on Sunday. In addition, the restaurant was not particulary hygienic. You can see efforts have been made to decorate the place, but time isn't spent maintaining.
If you have an endless amount of time (we were there two hours and I chased, a lot) or you don't mind chasing every part of your meal down then the experience was satisfactory. Don't go there if you are expecting high quality customer service, at least, not at the moment.
Lovely view though.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cerian E
Penarth, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My friends and I have dined here on numerous occasions. Six of us dined to celebrate two of our birthdays. I love the atmosphere in the restaurant, it's warm and friendly, the staff are very attentive but not too in you face. The food is deliciously tasty, steaks cooked to our desired preferences, piping hot and jsut enough to fill you up. I will definitely dine here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2011

From my experience, I think some of the reviews here are really harsh. I'm glad I wasn't put off by them when I decided to try it. The staff were really friendly & genuine & we had great service. Nice cosy, buzzy atmosphere & lovely location. The food was good, they lost a couple of points as they used sachets for their sauces....never a good idea! Would definitely go back

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karen b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penarth
Cefn Mably Hotel
The St. David's Hotel
The St. David's Hotel
#14 of 74 in Cardiff
Premier Inn Cardiff City Centre Hotel

Been to The Beach House Hotel? Share your experiences!