“Great food , jolly staff, warm welcome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of the olive tree - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
the olive tree
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great food , jolly staff, warm welcome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

A super fish restaurant with lovely informal ambience and good views. Great fish and chips and more formal dishes. Attentive kind staff.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank BCAles

Swindon
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Sunday lunch for three. Bajan fishcakes were good, goat's cheese so bland tasted like yoghurt and had the same consistency, spicy parsnip soup was so spicy could not taste any parsnip. Three Main courses of roast lamb ok except for the roast potatoes were deep fried potatoes and really hard and the stuffing very soft; vegetables very well cooked. the food was nice and hot. All in all, an almost average meal, nothing to write home about. I am amazed at some of the effusive reviews praising this restaurant and I would not consider a choice of approximately 12 wines an extensive wine list as a previous reviewer mentioned. Neither would I say the restaurant has a romantic setting as another diner said. I do agree that the toilets are very clean.
However, the reason I definitely would not return to this restaurant was the poor service. We were not welcomed properly nor helped to our seats as one would expect , especially for my 83year old mother in law. I do not know why the waitress stretched across my husband to give me my gin and tonic when there was plenty of room for her to walk around the table. The waitress brought the wine already opened to our table. This has never happened at any other restaurant we have dined at.In fact, I am almost sure it was not the one ordered. I realise I should have complained but my
mother in law hates any fuss made and I did not want to upset her. The waitress did not bring the new potatoes, we had to ask for them. Also, I should have thought it was not necessary to order mint sauce when having lamb. All throughout our meal the waiters and waitress were not in view of the diners, they were around the corner talking to the chef so had no idea if we wanted anything. No one asked if we wanted coffee and, as we would have had to find a waiter to ask we decided we would have one later elsewhere. In fact, my husband had to get up and go to the till in order ask for the bill because only then would the staff would be able to see him from where they were standing chatting. He had to get up again later to pay the bill as no one came to the table to get it. Also I did not like the cheap, thin paper napkins especially as this restaurant's prices are nearer the top end. I shall not be dining at The Olive Tree again.

• Visited September 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
“THE OLIVE TREE PENARTH-FOOD TOO GOOD TO KEEP SECRET”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

During a short stay in the area, I ate at this restaurant twice. The first meal was so good, I just had to go back to try something else from the menu. I noticed on my second visit that I was not the only one. I recognised a couple I had seen two days before.

The chef is a gem. He knows how to prepare food to be at its best. He is also flexible; if it is possible to deviate from the menu, he will do so to meet individual requirements. Better still, if you know you are eating at The Olive Tree and you have any special requests, phone a day or two before, he said, and he will do his best to provide. I saw him prepare a special meal with two hours notice. It happened he had all the ingredients required available....just how lucky and brilliant is that!

The meals I ate, meat and fish were all made with top quality produce. The fresh vegetables were lovely. The desserts I ate were yummy. What more can be said.

Access from the street into The Olive is fairly straightforward. There is a split level with a few steps. The W.C's are maintained in very good order. There is a very short slope to negotiate into them.

The restaurant is fairly simple in its decor and is nice and bright. Staff are attentive. It was obvious that one member of the waiting staff was new, however, she was very sweet and pleasant.

Highly Recommended. It's worthwhile making a booking, especially later in any week.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ZAC_ZACL
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Been twice already and will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I had been told that the Olive Tree was a nice romantic restaurant with great food, but to be honest its a restaurant with much more to offer. My wife and I have been twice since discovering how good this place is. The welcome is nice and friendly when you walk in and the staff who wait on you do a very very good job. However, all this would be nothing without the excellent food which we received. Nicely presented and NOT small portions like some restaurants you find.

The chef came out a couple of times to meet customers and its nice that he takes pride in the fact that customers are enjoying his excellent prepared food.

We are in Penarth most weekends and will be returning to the Olive Tree again soon.

• Visited June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely Sunday lunch & friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Went here with friends for Sunday lunch on a sunny bank holiday, as a result when we walked in we were the only people, which in the past we have found to be a negative sign, but we were pleasantly surprised.

There were 4 adults and a 6 month old baby in our party. Thank fully we had called ahead to book & they had advised they didn't have any high chairs available, which meant we had to take our own with us, which was a little inconvenient. So be warned if you're planning on going with babies/young children, and I think is the one improvement they should make to invest. In a couple of high chairs.

The waitress was very friendly & polite & gave us very good service, which was easy given that we were the only guests! There was some confusion as we initially tried ordering starters from the specials board, however were then told they were only for the evening, so we had to change our choices. However as a very nice and welcomed apology for the confusion the chef gave us some spicy wings (which we had tried ordering) on the house as a pre starter & they were delicious.

Other starters we enjoyed were the tomato soup & the asparagus which were both very tasty. My wife loves asparagus & found them to be cooked to perfection, something which she says rarely. We all enjoyed roast dinners for the main course, again, the meat & veg were all delicious & the portion was very generous. The chef even came out to check we were happy with the dinner and was a very nice gentleman.

In summary, the service was very good, the food was delicious (we'll definitely be returning in the near future), and the value for money was excellent, the volume of food for the price was outstanding.

Visited May 2013