“Lovely hotel but no in room wifi”

The Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penarth
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hotel is a lovely country house hotel. I had one of the chalet rooms which sleep 4 and are a really good size. I was surprised to find that the wifi does not work in either the rooms or the restaurant. I did ask and was told I would be able to get a signal in reception. I couldn't stand in reception to use my laptop.
The first night, I went to the restaurant and ordered a steak with extra salad. The steak was supposed to come with chips but mine didn't. . No staff stayed in the restaurant & after I finished, my plate was taken away & the waiter disappeared. I waited, but he never returned. I was still hungry but it didn't seem possible to get dessert or coffee. I drove to Tesco for cake. It wasn't a one off as the next night, exactly the same happened, except this time, I sat in the restaurant & was ignored. I had to go looking for a waiter so I could order dinner. I still couldn't get dessert or coffee.
Breakfast was good. Especially the fresh fruit salad. I would stay again but I'd eat elsewhere. The food was excellent but not the service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank TuesdayChester
There are newer reviews for The Manor House Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Phoned up to check availability about a week beforehand. Spoke to young man who said yes rooms available for £75 for b&b for two. Needed to double check this was ok with partner so said I'd phone back to confirm. Phoned back 10 mins later to confirm & spoke to gent with accent who said it was £85. Then agreed to £75 when I said I'd been quoted that - he said I'd spoken to his son. When we arrived about 5pm parked in car park at rear & followed sign to entrance only to find all locked up! Made our way round to front & met gent with accent who said had forgot to unlock door - no apology! He checked us into very hot & stuffy room - having read previous reviews asked if skylight could be opened but he refused,saying birds fly in. Had to have both patio & room doors open to freshen up. Went out for evening & came back to hot room - did not feel comfortable leaving doors open whilst asleep so had to tolerate it being hot & stuffy. Woke at 4am feeling really hot & also light streaming in skylight which was then reflecting off mirror, Opened patio doors to cool room down but did not get back to sleep. Room was clean though decor a bit tired & shabby. Cooked breakfast was ok - a bit meagre - one sausage, one piece of bacon, half a tomato, potion of scrambled egg & mushrooms & two pieces of toast. Did not have cereal as in open dishes & there was a fly on one of the dishes. When came to check out he tried to charge £85 so had to point out £75 was agreed. Feel they probably do a good job with their wedding business but not particularly interested in the B&B side of things. Certainly won't be back.

Room Tip: Go some where else!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 513NeilB
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here over night. The food was nice, the service was nice. But the room disappointedly was not very clean. I feel as if though the person who cleaned it was in a rush. Really was not amused when, after my visit I found out that the person who cleans the rooms uses the same cloth to wipe the toilets and the plastic cups in the bathroom and to not give you fresh plastic cups that cost you for a pack of 25 for 10p in tescos is vile. Especially when you pay the price you do to stay there for the night. When I found that out I decided I will not be back.

3  Thank ThomasLukeRyan
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We visited for Sunday lunch and to view this venue as we are planning our wedding next year. Pietro and his team were so nice and helpful. The food was superb and the service of excellent quality.
The venue was Wonderful - peaceful, relaxing and beautiful and we are seriously considering to celebrate our wedding at Manor House. Thank you :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Monica C
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My son's wedding reception was held at this wonderful hotel on 6th June. It was a fantastic venue for the reception, the staff were very attentive and the food was delicious. We had a great time here and lots of wedding guests said it was the best reception and party they have ever been to.
We stayed overnight and was pleasantly surprised with the size and quality of the rooms. Tea and coffee is provided making it a nice touch.
Breakfast was lovely and exceptional value for money.
Thank you Manor House for such a lovely wedding reception.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gill W
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Attended a wedding at this venue and the service was brilliant. The room was clean and a good size with tea and coffee. Nice gardens with plenty of seating.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, the owner worked very hard to make it a successful occasion .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank juli4n
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Lovely nights stay at The Manor House, room lovely light airy and big. Really nice touch of Welsh cakes with the tea and coffee.
Quiet location awoken by the birds singing.
Breakfast a feast of continental or full English, superb choice.
Plenty of parking.Will stay again, highly recommended, thank you. :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bubble34_12
Sandilizmanor, Owner at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Hello and thank you so much for this lovely review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Manor House Hotel and look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind regards,
Sandra at The Manor House Hotel, Penarth.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penarth
Cefn Mably Hotel
The Mount Rooms
The Mount Rooms
#4 of 5 in Barry
Travelodge Cardiff Atlantic Wharf

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!