“6 course tasting menu with wine and cookery demo”

Restaurant James Sommerin
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Penarth
Price range: US$36 - US$118
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to restaurant james sommerin with rooms james and louise would like to welcome you to their first restaurant, "restaurant james sommerin with rooms" situated on the esplanade in penarth. The restaurant has the luxury of having panoramic views over the severn estuary which sets the scene for a very relaxing dining experience. "we aim to create a dining experience our guests will not forget"
Reviewed 18 September 2017

This was a birthday treat for me, being a real foodie I was really excited. we got there at 11.30 and had coffee. I managed to get the best seat in the house to be able to see the demonstration. James is very passionate about his cooking, he kept us all amused with his repertoire whilst carving and cooking, for being such a renowned chef he is extremely down to earth. The food was AMAZING, and each wine matched to perfection. My favourite dish was the ravioli with the Parmesan foam, and the salmon with cucumber (must try this cucumber at home) and the trio for the first course was out of this world, and the veg lasagne, need I say more! Anyway I would definitely recommend this restuarant to EVERYONE! I can't wat to go to the dinner and book signing. YUM YUM

1  Thank Alison g

Reviewed 16 September 2017

The quality of the food was excellent, the amuse bouche and our menu choices were all delicious. The service was good, all in all a very enjoyable experience and well worth the cost. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

We were offered the option to sit in the 'waiting' area before our meal but we thought that, since we had ordered the tasting menu and therefore didn't really need time to peruse the menu, we'd like to be seated straight away and that wasn't a problem. (A few people have complained on here about being seated in the waiting area for too long but my advice would be - ask! If you want to be seated at your table straight away, just ask! Don't sit there and stew as you'll just start the whole experience off on a bad note.)

The food is delicious, inventive and beautifully presented. I am gluten free (or, rather, I require gluten-free food!) and this was very carefully considered in each course, e.g. my amuse bouches had houmous rather than taramasalata (which contains bread), my strawberry cheesecake dessert had gluten-free granola rather than crushed biscuit - great attention to detail and the serving staff were careful to explain how dishes were adapted to be gluten free.

We had the six-course tasting menu and were at the restaurant for three and a half hours. Some people have commented that the service is slow and the portions are tiny but I really think, if you're having the tasting menu that (a) you have to allow yourself plenty of time and (b) you really have to get into the spirit of this kind of meal. Yes, the gaps between courses can be up to 15 minutes but this gives you time to think about the delicious food you just ate and to chat to your friends and family and admire the view. I really think it's about the overall experience, not being served super fast. I also disagree that the portions are small. I was full but not overfull.

The wines by the glass are reasonably priced for a restaurant of this calibre and there's plenty of choice.

The restaurant is very attractively decorated and the view is super.

I checked at the start of the meal whether it would be OK to take photos of my food and that was completely fine but I kept forgetting to do this when it was placed in front of me because it looked so amazing that I tucked in immediately! So, apologies, but no photos!

Recommended.

1  Thank Abi G
Reviewed 13 September 2017

My wife and I recently enjoyed an extremely good evening of food. Each dish was creative, tasty, well cooked and I really enjoyed the fact that the chef's came to the table and explained the dishes. We had the tasting course and the lobster bisque and game were some of the best we had ever eaten.
However, the service, left a lot to be desired.
When we first arrived we were seated at the entry way looking into the restaurant. OK, we were then asked if we would like a drink and given a menu to look through so we could make our choices, again ok. After half an hour we were then seated at a table that was right in front of us that we had been staring at that was vacant from the time we arrived. I like to have pre dinner drinks and a little time to look through the menu, and I understand you adjust your bookings so the kitchen can expertly prepare the meals, I get it, but this in my opinion was just a waste - it can all be at the table. We also told the front of house staff that my wife had a food allergy whilst at this predining, however a dish had to be returned during the evening as the information was not passed onto the kitchen.
The clearing of the finished plates was also slow, get a junior just to clear plates and top up water - 2 jobs that were slow to be attended to and had they been attended to would have made a big difference.
In the end food excellent, the location and ambience - excellent, the service from the chefs with the dishes - excellent, the floor service really dragged this right down, but we will remember the food and would return if we can see that the service improves.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

The food was fantastic and the wines selected complemented the food precisely. For a party of four, the pace of service was just right although if you have the nine course dinner we would recommend starting earlier than the 8pm that we did; we were havind desserts at 11.30 - too late for some members of our party!