“Not worth the price”
Review of Mill Valley Inn

Mill Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Mill Valley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I gagged when my wife told me how much our night cost here. Yeah, it's kinda cute, with the cottages and a couple of redwoods. But inside the rooms were distinctly 1980s vintage, and the parking situation is absurd. They have these tiny spots in a garage and if you dont have a mini-cooper, you may spend half your night trying to figure out how to fit your car in. and meanwhile the rooms and cottages are like 40 feet from the garage so its not like some remote mountain retreat. And service/check-in consists of a tiny office off the garage. It just makes no sense what they charge, except that it's close to san francisco, and inside MIll Valley, which is kinda pretentious... just not a fan (obviously)

4  Thank jpicunko
JFlake, General Manager at Mill Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear jpicunko,

First of all, thank you for staying at the inn, and we appreciate you taking the time to post about your experiences while here in Mill Valley. We are so sorry that you had any impression of our inn as a remote mountain retreat, is that something you read about us online? If there is anything in our power to do something about that, we’d like to. Though we are located in downtown Mill Valley and do boast very serene ambience, with Redwood trees and a creek that are located on site, I too would feel mislead if I read somewhere that we were located in a remote location in the mountains. I’m sorry that we were not what you expected.

One of our greatest advantages, though, is being centrally located in downtown Mill Valley, which is minutes from Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpais and Stinson Beach. Also, being in downtown Mill Valley means that you are able to take advantage of the plethora of dining options located around the inn. We also do our best to focus on maximizing our guest’s experience by offering the best amenities we possibly can and ensuring that all of our guest rooms are thoroughly relaxing, comfortable, and up to the high standards that we set for ourselves. Again, I’m sorry we were not what you expected. If you’d like to discuss this, any further, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. I would be more than happy to speak with you.

Kind regards,
Justin Flake

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

When I am on business, I like to stay in boutique hotels where there is plenty to walk too. The bonuses are: cocktail hour, real expresso, lox with bagels, fireplaces. Very accommodating staff. I have since gone back when I have business on that side of the bay. Tucked away and convenient.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My fiancé and I only had time for an overnight get-away, and the Mill Valley Inn was perfect. We stayed in an adorable cottage with a fireplace, a huge well-appointed bathroom, and all the comforts we needed. The staff was amazing from check-in to check-out. At check-in, the gal at the front desk helped us with restaurant recommendations, and another gentleman escorted us to our room. I mentioned that we were there for my fiancé's birthday, and SURPRISE! We got a knock on our door that evening with a mini gourmet chocolate cake and bottle of wine. At check-out, another wonderful staff member gave us breakfast recommendations and ok'd us to stay parked at the inn while we adventured around downtown Mill Valley for a bit. We would definitely visit Mill Valley Inn again, and we recommend it to anyone else looking for romantic, relaxing stay in a quaint area surrounded by restaurants, boutiques, good coffee spots, and hiking.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and six year old daughter stayed at the Mill Valley Inn recently and had a very pleasant time. The hotel is located in the center of Mill Valley, literally one minute walk from the center of town, shops and restaurants. We walked to a small park near the library, in the middle of a cluster of redwoods, which was wonderful.

Our room was big (our child slept on a pull-out sofa bed) and very comfortable. The breakfast choices were many, you can make your own waffles (a big hit with our daughter), and the service was great.

In fact, one of the things we most appreciated the excellent customer service. Everyone there was extremely nice, available, and friendly. When the parking lot was full, we parked on the street and the woman at the front desk came out and put money in the meter for us. Now that is service!!

We will definitely return to this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ninatchka
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The rooms, staff, location are all excellent! The extra touches such as the fire in the rooms, free parking, free wine and great staff would make this a definite if we were to return to the area. It is a shame there isn't a sundeck and pool/spa as the view overlooking the trees is great. Mill valley is in close proximity to Muir woods and Tiburon which are worth a visit. A fab area and a great little hotel. We also ate at the restaurant called Bungalow 44 which was really good (both price/food and drinks).

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Quaint, pretty and full of lovely surprises. The staff is polite and professional, accommodations perfectly, simply appointed. All I can say about the breakfast and the room it is served in is, you will not want to leave. If you are going to Mill Valley, stay here, do not make the trip from a SF, hotel, you will miss out on a true northern California experience, and go to the redwoods!
Laura- Far Hills, NJ

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony and wood burning stove- worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank laura n
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very nice place with clean rooms, and close to the little downtown area. Mill Valley is the place where all the old rich hippies live and the downtown area is very magical. The hotel is close to Muir woods and the coast which is a plus. Parking beneath the hotel is tight so be careful. Free breakfast was great and the nightly wine and cheese appeared fine, but both myself and my son where very sick the morning after eating the cheese. My wife and other son had no ill effects since they did not eat any cheese. Was sick for 24 to 30 hours. Really ruined our trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Mill Valley Inn? Share your experiences!