“wonderful hotel”

Melia Sierra Nevada
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Nevada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I came here with my partner for a weekends skiing at xmas where he proposed! we had a wonderful time and the hotel was fabulous! one of the best ski hotels i have stayed in and certainly the best one in sierra nevada.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lianne A
There are newer reviews for Melia Sierra Nevada

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Overall this is a great hotel to stay. Top level, good spa, ski locker room available, short walking distance from lifts, good wifi access, good kids entertaiment, it has it all to be an excellent hotel.

However my room was located in a ber noisy situation nearby elevatord and some kind of service door. Incredible a supossed top level hotel dares to sell these kind of rooms.

I recommrnd this hotel but stay away from room 233.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Alvaro1999
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel is in Spanish style, combined with modern influences. Like the lobby and bar which has very comfy lounge seats. Overall good service, although the restaurant personel is somewhat disorganized at times. Friendly people. Rooms are good, very nice beds. Heating is a problem: too hot and can't be moderated. Bit noisy during the night due to the nightlife at the square close to the hotel. The spa is fine, but very crowded with kids between 17 and 19.00 hours. It's FREE, which is a very big plus compared to Sol y Nieve which charges a 30 euro per hour! A 2 minute walk to the lifts, also a real asset. Probably the best buy in this town. Skiing is great by the wat.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed here for a few days for a ski trip. Initially I was really impressed with the hotel - nice bar, spacious, fantastic location, nice room, and would have been ideal with children (we left the kids behind on this trip) as it had a creche available for 5-12 year olds, and a snooker/games area. However, I'm afraid to say I will never stay at this hotel again!

The room was so hot and stuffy, I couldn't breathe. It was like being in an oven - I'm terrible at home for putting the heating on and really feel the cold, but this was something else! I still haven't cooled down two weeks later and it actually made me feel ill. I managed to turn off our radiator, only to find that it made no difference and so slept with the door wide open which isn't ideal! The air was so dry it actually hurt to breathe. I kept waking up in the night thinking this is what it's like to be trapped in an oven. How can they not get the temperature of the hotel right! When I called to reception I asked for a humidifier, and the receptionist who was Spanish, finished off my sentence for me with 'because it's baking' - so I'm guessing I wasn't the first to complain.

The other shame was that the spa had great potential, lovely pool area and separate (very clean) steam and sauana. However, the jacuzzi is within the pool in the corner and was cold (not what you want after a day skiing) and the steam and sauna let children in, so there were young kids and teenagers messing about and shouting. What hotel lets kids in a steam room?!? Finally, there is no tea or coffee making facilities which was a real shame.

On the upside, the breakfast was really good. The resort is so small, as I walked around I saw so many lovely little hotels all so close together so I would look around and stay somewhere else next time.

Take it from me, if you don't want to be hot, dry and uncomfortable, stay in one of the numerous other nice hotels in the resort. If you do stay here, don't park there, it's a rip off.

5  Thank holley s
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Fellow traveller. At 2000 metres high, you would expect it to be chilly outside and rather nice to come into a warm hotel after a days skiing. However to come into a hotel where you can hardly breathe due to the intolerent heat, dryness of air that your throat sticks, eyes water and lips shrivell and thats before you step into your own room! My wife and I have just returned from The Melia Sierra Nevada for a 3 night stay. We were supposed to ski for the 3 days but we both became so ill after the first night in "The Sauna" that we did not ski,eat or really do anything after our first day. We turned off the radiator and slept with the balcony door open and it hardly made any difference.
The hotel rips you off by charging 23 euros a day to park next door (I spoke to somebody who said the main car park was half that and it literally is 2 mins walk away. The Spa is very poor in all aspects. The jacuzzis are freezing, the pool is way to cold, the sauna and steams rooms are small and not up to the job that they are supposed to do at all and on top of that they charge you 3.50 euros to buy the obligitory swimming cap.
No coffee/tea making facilities. TV has only BBC World for English speakers.
On the plus side the location is great and the buffet breakfast is very good, but they MUST MUST MUST sort out the heating issues. It totally ruined our trip that we were so looking forward to.

5  Thank Sammy350
Reviewed 6 February 2012

As other travelers have noted, this isn't the cheapest place to stay on the mountain. Our 3-night ski weekend stay ran about €800.

But, if you're looking for a comfortable, convenient place to stay, the Melia Sierra Nevada can be a good choice.

PROS
* Large rooms. Our 8th floor room had two single beds, a desk+chair, and small changing area with plenty of space to hang wet ski jackets to dry.

* Nice bathroom. The bathroom was also spacious. We had a tub + shower combo; great water pressure was much-appreciated after a long day on the slopes.

* Free WiFi. And it's fast!

* Fantastic breakfast buffet. We were pleasantly surprised by the size & quality of the breakfast that came with the room. They had a chef making omelets to order, plenty of fresh fruits, and hot pancakes and bacon, in addition to the standard cereal and croissant-type offerings.

* The Melia Sierra Nevada is also conveniently located. The hotel is about a 3-minute walk from the gondola to the slopes. And there are lots of bars & restaurants right next door.

CONS
* As everyone's said, it's pricier than you'd expect for a ski stay in Spain.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 8th floor were spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rtr2008
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I made a reservation, but had to change the schedule.
But contact with email, fax, and phone call to Japanese agency does not work at all.
Japanese agency recommended me to cancel the room and re-reservation the room.
I could cancel the room (14 days before the room reservation), but could not reserve again due to no vacant room.
Then, they charged me the cancellation fee (two nights).
It just follows their cancellation policy, but I could not be convinced with it
because any of my effort for changing my schedule does not work well.
After negotiating them with email, they said they will charge one night.
But they charged two nights.
I don't know they did it intentionally or just made a careless mistake.
Anyway their service was terrible.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Shin766
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nevada
Melia Sol y Nieve
Hotel Granada Palace
Hotel Granada Palace
#2 of 9 in Monachil
Hotel Apartamentos Trevenque

Been to Melia Sierra Nevada? Share your experiences!