“Clean familyhotel”

Melia Sierra Nevada
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Nevada
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This is not a new hotel, but good standard and clean. This is a familyhotel, familys with children age 0-20.
Beds hard but ok, bring your own pillow.
Free internet, working really well.
Breakfast buffe with fresh fruit, eggs, bread, all you can eat. Good coffe and warm milk.
Make sure you get a room high up, otherwise you have to choose between looking at a wall or a roof.
We did not try the dinner buffe, could be worth a try, because its hard to find nice restaurants in Sierra Nevada.

Room Tip: High up facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a week’s skiing in February and had a really enjoyable and comfortable stay. The hotel is located right in the heart of the village - actually called Pradollano, although many people refer to it simply as Sierra Nevada. Many of the bigger hotels are located much higher up the hill and accessed by a chair lift, a steep road or a set of 90 steps. The Melia is one of the few larger hotels which are set right next to the major cable cars and give direct access to the slope without having to walk a long way. In addition, all the bars, restaurants and shops are only a few steps away from the main hotel entrance.

Our room had a beautiful view of the snow-covered mountains, with double patio doors leading out onto the large balcony. Inside there was a large double bed, which was made up of two large singles pushed together. The large wardrobe which is next to the double bed turned out to be a very comfortable, pull-down third bed. The en-suite bathroom was large, containing a full sized bath, overhead shower, bidet and large sink.

There was a free wifi connection all through the hotel and this was very reliable and very fast.

There are two restaurants in the hotel; an a la carte restaurant downstairs which is also open to the public, and a buffet restaurant on the second floor in which most of the guests eat breakfast and their evening meal. The buffet restaurant is self service, all you can eat Andalucian food and really delicious.

The pool and spa complex was free to all guests and consists of a fairly large pool with a smaller, shallow kids pool. Both became very crowded with small children in the early hours of the evening but tended to empty out after 8pm. Leading from the pool is a steam room, a sauna and a variety of multi-directional showers. The spa complex closes at 10pm. The gym is well equipped and looked new and very clean.

The games room is a fun place for the teenagers to relax and leads off the main hotel bar. There is also a Kids Club which has its own separate room, but we had no need to make use of this, although it seemed very popular. The whole of the basement was kitted out with modern ski lockers; the locker had space enough for up to 4 sets of skis and boots.

Our favourite place to meet before dinner was the much more reasonably priced La Bodeguita tapas bar, which could be accessed either by crossing the public restaurant, or by going through the street and entering through the public door.

We flew into Malaga and hired a large taxi which seated all 12 of our party. The taxi cost 268.50 euro each way and took around one and a half hours to get there.

I would highly recommend this hotel at any time of the year. The only negative point was the overwhelming heat that came from the one radiator in our bedroom. The weather outside was obviously very cold; the snow was thick and the skiing good - but despite this we had to turn off the radiator and sleep with the balcony doors wide open all night. Even with these measures we found the level of heating overwhelming and soporific – there was no escape and it took away all our energy and disrupted sleep every night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Simonedelany
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I came here with my partner for a weekends skiing at xmas where he proposed! we had a wonderful time and the hotel was fabulous! one of the best ski hotels i have stayed in and certainly the best one in sierra nevada.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lianne A
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Overall this is a great hotel to stay. Top level, good spa, ski locker room available, short walking distance from lifts, good wifi access, good kids entertaiment, it has it all to be an excellent hotel.

However my room was located in a ber noisy situation nearby elevatord and some kind of service door. Incredible a supossed top level hotel dares to sell these kind of rooms.

I recommrnd this hotel but stay away from room 233.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Alvaro1999
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel is in Spanish style, combined with modern influences. Like the lobby and bar which has very comfy lounge seats. Overall good service, although the restaurant personel is somewhat disorganized at times. Friendly people. Rooms are good, very nice beds. Heating is a problem: too hot and can't be moderated. Bit noisy during the night due to the nightlife at the square close to the hotel. The spa is fine, but very crowded with kids between 17 and 19.00 hours. It's FREE, which is a very big plus compared to Sol y Nieve which charges a 30 euro per hour! A 2 minute walk to the lifts, also a real asset. Probably the best buy in this town. Skiing is great by the wat.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed here for a few days for a ski trip. Initially I was really impressed with the hotel - nice bar, spacious, fantastic location, nice room, and would have been ideal with children (we left the kids behind on this trip) as it had a creche available for 5-12 year olds, and a snooker/games area. However, I'm afraid to say I will never stay at this hotel again!

The room was so hot and stuffy, I couldn't breathe. It was like being in an oven - I'm terrible at home for putting the heating on and really feel the cold, but this was something else! I still haven't cooled down two weeks later and it actually made me feel ill. I managed to turn off our radiator, only to find that it made no difference and so slept with the door wide open which isn't ideal! The air was so dry it actually hurt to breathe. I kept waking up in the night thinking this is what it's like to be trapped in an oven. How can they not get the temperature of the hotel right! When I called to reception I asked for a humidifier, and the receptionist who was Spanish, finished off my sentence for me with 'because it's baking' - so I'm guessing I wasn't the first to complain.

The other shame was that the spa had great potential, lovely pool area and separate (very clean) steam and sauana. However, the jacuzzi is within the pool in the corner and was cold (not what you want after a day skiing) and the steam and sauna let children in, so there were young kids and teenagers messing about and shouting. What hotel lets kids in a steam room?!? Finally, there is no tea or coffee making facilities which was a real shame.

On the upside, the breakfast was really good. The resort is so small, as I walked around I saw so many lovely little hotels all so close together so I would look around and stay somewhere else next time.

Take it from me, if you don't want to be hot, dry and uncomfortable, stay in one of the numerous other nice hotels in the resort. If you do stay here, don't park there, it's a rip off.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank holley s
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Fellow traveller. At 2000 metres high, you would expect it to be chilly outside and rather nice to come into a warm hotel after a days skiing. However to come into a hotel where you can hardly breathe due to the intolerent heat, dryness of air that your throat sticks, eyes water and lips shrivell and thats before you step into your own room! My wife and I have just returned from The Melia Sierra Nevada for a 3 night stay. We were supposed to ski for the 3 days but we both became so ill after the first night in "The Sauna" that we did not ski,eat or really do anything after our first day. We turned off the radiator and slept with the balcony door open and it hardly made any difference.
The hotel rips you off by charging 23 euros a day to park next door (I spoke to somebody who said the main car park was half that and it literally is 2 mins walk away. The Spa is very poor in all aspects. The jacuzzis are freezing, the pool is way to cold, the sauna and steams rooms are small and not up to the job that they are supposed to do at all and on top of that they charge you 3.50 euros to buy the obligitory swimming cap.
No coffee/tea making facilities. TV has only BBC World for English speakers.
On the plus side the location is great and the buffet breakfast is very good, but they MUST MUST MUST sort out the heating issues. It totally ruined our trip that we were so looking forward to.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sammy350
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nevada
0 mi away
#7 of 12 in Nevada
Hotel Ziryab
Hotel Ziryab
#5 of 12 in Nevada

Been to Melia Sierra Nevada? Share your experiences!