“Step back in time!”
Review of Dunleith

Dunleith
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Natchez
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed in one of the rooms in the main house! It was so beautiful with floor to ceiling windows and a fireplace. Note to owners - please do not turn the main floor rooms into guest rooms. It was so important to be able to see the main floor as it was so many years ago. This is such an impressive mansion and it was an amazing experience to be able to spend the night there! Thank you!!

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main house, however anywhere on the property is going to be a special experience!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynda S

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This antebellum plantation house is a stunner. She is absolutely gorgeous to look at from the outside and the gardens are a delight to walk through. Unfortunately, we did not get to tour the house as one can only enter the rest of the house on a tour and we were to be gone before the tour commenced the next morning. We were terribly disappointed and did feel a little ripped off by this as we had specifically booked a room here to see the house. How well you enjoy your stay will depend on which room you are allocated! We had two couples- one couple were put up in the main house in an upstairs room and it was a magnificent room of grand proportions decorated in an elegant and appropriate style. I hate to use the word again, but it oozed delightful Southern charm. The other couple were allocated the downstairs servants' quarters at the back of the house and the experience was rather different. The ceiling was low, the room was very small, smelled damp and very dark. It was not even half as pleasant as the upstairs room. Access to the ground floor room was easy, but access to the upstairs room was via a couple of flights of stairs and passageways- some outside and exposed to the rain making them a little perilous. Carrying the luggage up these stairs was an experience I do not wish to repeat! We ate at the restauarant on the grounds and the food was average at best. Too much and not pleasant tasting. The service was excellent. The atmosphere was excellent. The food presentation was excellent. The food simply did not taste very nice! It was a great disappointment. Breakfast in the morning was better. If I knew then what I know now, I would have paid for a tour of this home and not stayed here overnight. I recommend you all do the same!

Room Tip: If you can climb many stairs carrying your luggage, ask for a room upstairs in the main house. If yo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank howdeppisyourlove
Reviewed 10 November 2011

During a recent stay in the main house I was stung by one of the wasps that shared my room with me. When I reported this to the front deask I was told that it would be handled by the General Manager who would call me later that morning on my cell phone. The day after I departed, never having heard from the General Manger, a third tier employee called me to tell me that management refused to take responsibility for the occurence. During that conversation I requested to talk to the General manger and was told by the employee that he would have him call me. I have never heard from the General Manager and have left two voice messages requesting that he call me. One other guest staying in the main house discovered a faulty toilet in their room and from the time the matter was reported to the front desk and the problem resolved two hours had transpired. That guest missed a business meeting due to the delay in the reparation of the toilet. General Manager did not address this problem with the other guest either. Because of the cowaredly attitude of the General Manager I have no choice but to share my experience with potential customers. Do not expect any customer service nor the expresion of concern for problems with your accomodations. Management simply hides its head in the sand and refuses to deal with clients problems. Caveat emptor.

Room Tip: Make sure that there are no wasps sharing your room with you and make sure that the toilet in your b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Robert F
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here this last July and for the cost that was the same as a room in one of the flavorless motels that litter the roadsides, we were able to stay in the Robert E Lee room on the second floor of this grand building set on many acres. Included in this price was a free tour of the first floor and a sumptuous breakfast. For full effect get a room in the main building.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lrswtsn8
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at a room on the river. We had read the reviews about the noise from the tavern below the room but we are young and stay up late so we felt it wouldn't be that big of deal. Plus, we really wanted to stay on the river.

The plantation and room itself were very nice. We were impressed with the grounds, decor, and staff. The room was BIG and had a great view of the river. The bathroom was also spacious and had a nice big shower and whirlpool tub. We enjoyed having a King size bed, something you don't typically get at a B&B. The towels were not very "plush". The noise was annoying. We stayed on a Thursday night so nothing exciting besides football was happening at the tavern. It still seemed like the walls were paper thin. I almost felt like they could see me. But, we went to sleep between 11-12 and once our heads hit the pillow, we were not bothered by it.

We did go to eat at Bowies Tavern and were not impressed. We were under the impression that they served dinner. Since it was convenient and we were hungry, we just walked down to check it out. It was just typical bar food. I got a burger and it was just a frozen patty.

The next morning we went to breakfast at the Castle on the Dunleith Plantation. Since there were only approx. 5 guests the night before, there was no buffet. There was no pancakes, french toast, or any sort of nice pastry other than biscuits. A little bit of a disappointment.

Room Tip: Stay at the plantation if you would like a nice, quiet stay. If you are one who likes staying up wit...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank thelatraveler
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We had the misfortune to stay in the slave quarters (well, they called it the servants quarters, but it was awful). We had a cave-like room at the end of a totally dark brick corridor except for one bare lightbulb. It was like going into a dark hole. The room had windows, but I'm not sure why. They only looked out into the dark corridor. There was absolutely NO natural light coming into that room. The bathroom lighting was so awful that I would have used natural light from the windows to be able to see to put on makeup, but there was no light!!! We were with a church group and someone else had made the arrangements so we didn't want to complain, but I can't believe we paid so much money to stay in a cave! There were low ceilings and anyone with clautrophobia would have definitely NOT been able to stay there. It was difficult for me, and I will not be going back. For that much money, I really expected something nicer than a cave.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Laura J
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Beautiful room. Beautiful view but you are right above a pub. We stayed on a wednesday night which is karaoke night. It statred at 7.30 and didn't end till past 1am. Breakfast is included in the price which youhave to drive up to the main house about 2 miles away! Booked a night at a Plantation and ended up above a bar the other side of natchez.....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple