Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast
  • Room Service
Hotel Vue(Natchez)
Dunleith(Natchez)
View Hotel
All reviewscivil warher daughterfamily homebullet holesquiet countrysouthern hospitalityfour posterb bsouthern ladysouthern bellewished we could have stayed longerstep back in timeroom ratebeds were comfortablewonderful experiencespring pilgrimagemarjorie
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We found the Glenfield Plantation on the internet when we were looking for places to stay on our recent trip from the Netherlands to the US. We could not have been more pleased to find this gem among all of the other properties listed. It is located on the edge of Natchez and hidden from view from the main road by a long lane back to the house itself. What a delightful surprise to find a 1800's English Gothic Estate. We were greeted with a warm welcome by Ms. Marjorie's daughter. We were invited in like we were family and offered coffee and freshly baked cake. After we were shown to our room which was decorated with family pieces of furniture and antiques we were helped to find a nice place to eat in the area. Marjorie's daughter was most helpful and informative. Even though I was inquisitive about everything I would have to have patience as I was told Ms. Marjorie would give us a tour and brief history after breakfast. We were delighted to meet the infamous Ms. Marjorie in the morning. She was warm, charming, full of information and knew about everything there is to know about the area. We were treated more like family than tourists visiting in someones home. I loved looking at the family treasures and hearing the stories of either how it was obtained or how it was used. Breakfast was wonderful and we shared it with another couple traveling from Australia. Thank you dear, dear lady for keeping history alive and sharing your experiences with others and above all making us feel welcome.
* Just a short note to say that - the house was built in the 1800's so do not expect it to be the Ritz Carlton built yesterday. Yes it has its bumps and bruises but it has character and a very caring owner that will show you a side in history you won't soon forget.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whouwhoami
glenfieldbb, Owner at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

You are so kind to have taken the time to write such a thoughtful and dedicated review all the way from the Netherlands! We absolutely love having guest as yourself in our home, that takes such a special interest in history and historic preservation. Your kind and thoughtful words have touched our hearts at Glenfield, and I appreciate your response. Please do visit us again when you return to Mississippi. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Marjorie

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We arrived in Natchez after a long drive from Hot Springs, Arkansas. As we drove up the long driveway I gasped when from behind the trees I saw this stunning example of Gothic Revival architecture. We pulled to the rear courtyard and were greeted by the hosts in true Southern fashion. After we chose our room, my sons and I left to buy some local food and returned to eat on the lovely brick courtyard, surrounded by trees. The next morning after breakfast, the proprietor suggested some local heritage sites, and was able to get us into a member's only pool at one of the more gorgeous historic plantation homes. My boys were so delighted that a half day of swimming was now on the agenda, courtesy of the hosts of Glenfield Plantation. I read the recent negative review of Glenfield, and feel sorry for those who cannot oversee slight disappointments and enjoy the delights that Glenfield Plantation has to offer. On my first evening, I left the boys playing with the host's adorable young son and wandered the front garden...as the sun was setting I was truly overcome by how beautiful the house and location was. The beds were comfortable, the room lovely, and the courtyard is open for guests to enjoy a glass of wine or, in our case, a small but delicious meal alfresco. We were truly treated as family, which is how it should be at a B&B, and we left promising that one day we would return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shereen L

Thank you for taking the time to post the photos of me with your sons and spending time with us at Glenfield. We love having families stay with us as we are a family home. And your kind words and comments have a heartfelt place with me. You and your boys are always welcome, and I do appreciate the time and effort in writing such a nice review about Glenfield! Thank you so much!

Marjorie

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I don't tend to write much on tripadvisor as I have found others opinions unlike mine. But when something impresses me so much that it captures my heart, I would like to share my experience. First off I have travelled many places in the continental USA and Internationally. I have stayed at various properties due to my work in journalism and one thing I have most appreciated from my travels is a warm inviting host or manager to great me and be attentive to my needs. The reviews regarding Marjorie are true to form. She is a breath of fresh air, that welcomes you into her family home with a hug and kindship. When you drive into the yard, you get a feel automatically of old. When horse drawn carriages once traveled through the lush green landscape and gravel road. The home Glenfield has raised many generations of families from the 1800's, and Marjorie has maintained the historic beauty of this English Gothic estate and preserved antiques to the finest. Please don't confuse old with unclean, as nothing was unclean about our room. We savoired our experience and the inviting homey feel. I will tell all my friends if traveling to Natchez to visit Glenfield Plantation!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Writermaggie
glenfieldbb, Owner at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

You are so very kind to reflect such a nice compliment to myself and my home. It's guest like yourself and your husband that make opening my home up to a bed and breakfast worth doing. Please keep in touch and let me know how the starter plant I gave you from our garden does for you up north Thank you again for visiting with Glenfield.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My friends and I loved staying here for our getaway! Natchez is such a fun town with lots of history and vintage old south! Ms Marjorie is a true southern lady who was so kind to us during our stay. The home is lived in by her family and the front of the house is where she offers bed and breakfast. We looked for comfort and hospitality, and that is precisely what we experienced at Glenfield. I've read the good reviews and the bad ones, and I'm glad we chose to stay here as my $$$ bought a great comforting weekend stay and wonderful hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Beckie86hen

The four of you were such nice refine young ladies who brightened each day of your stay! What a delightful surprised with the nice gift you gave me at your departure. Your appreciation has touched me, and your kind words about my family home Glenfield is welcomed with great joy. So glad to see you have returned home safely. I look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This property is beautiful but needs a deep cleaning! Everything from the room to the glasses needs to be cleaned. The room was hot & the mattresses were stained with who knows what. I won't make the mistake of staying in this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014
13  Thank loriannmin
glenfieldbb, Manager at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

I'll be glad to address your review as I did your two friends staying in the room with you. I believe my service to your party was very hospitable, and I saw the sweat rolling off your face as you arrived and adhered to your wish of the thermostat the best I could. It was a hot day, and the central air was on 68 degrees. I'm sure wine drinking and the tasting at the winery played a huge part of the heat factor. The room was spotless, and clean. The people before you wished they could have stayed another night they loved it here, but your reservation was coming in. We are a historic home, and our family lives here. We have owned our home since 1880, historic is something I guess you are not familiar with, but I can assure you, there was no dirt! People tend to confuse "old" with dirty, which was not the case. Also, as you created an account with tripadvisor just to review my property shows poor taste. And had you any concerns at check-in, you could have addressed them to me right a way. As I told your friends, a limited service property with franchise standards might be a better fit for you if you're in the area again.