“Wonderful Experience”

Natchez Pilgrimage Tours Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 11 Tours in Natchez
Reviewed 19 March 2013

If you like architecture and/or southern U.S. history Natchez is a must see. I was there for the Spring Pilgrimage 2013. My companion and I mixed six of the Pilgrimage home tours (private homes open only during Pilgrimage) with visits to three of several plantation homes that are open all year round. (We saw Longwood, Melrose and Stanton Hall.)

The people giving tours of the private homes seemed delighted to spend time with visitors and to answer our questions. The current owners of The Burn gave a stand-out tour on a miserable, rainy afternoon to a large group of people.

My least favorite experience was seeing Stanton Hall. The house is fabulous but our guides were bored and curt-- one was a total smart aleck. We were there in early afternoon and there were only four people in our group. What should have been a fun, personalized tour was rude and rushed. I wish I had asked for a refund. By contrast at Melrose and Longwood we had wonderful tours. Melrose is run by the National Park Service. Longwood and Stanton Hall are both run by The Pilgrimage Garden Club so I don't understand the disparity in the quality of those two tours.

Another fun outing was Frogmore Plantation across the MS River in Vidialla LA. The farm is a group of old plantation outbuildings (slave quarters, cotton gin, kitchen, etc) lovingly collected by the owners of Frogmore. Their tour gives information about the hard lives of the slaves and the growing/harvesting of cotton in the 1800's. It was interesting to contrast the stark homes of the slaves with the opulent plantation homes. Overall, I highly recommend a visit to Natchez!

11  Thank Kim H

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Adorned in Antibellum fashion, leading ladies and gents from the era, what an outstanding production by this community! The selection of 19th century homes is outstanding and the history and culture is rich. This March event is unprecedented to anything I have ever experienced before, even the Galveston tours of Bishop's Palace and others.

Natchez is a beautiful community on the Mississippi river, filled with blooming azalea's, vibrant atmosphere, and plenty of Civil War era history. Many of the homes are opened twice a year, once in spring and fall, to give the world a view of authentic decor, and first person renditions of true historical stories of their lives growing up in Plantation homes.

We spent four days in Natchez and enjoyed every minute of it. The price is a little on the rich side but is spent for a good cause as much is put back into the historical societies budget for refurbishing and maintaining the homes. Most are lived in by the original owners or builders familes or relatives, and offer a most enjoyable experience.

Along with the tours are many historical markers and opprtunities for eating good southern style cooking. This is a must for any that are history buffs or even those that are interested in the time period of the 19th century. Each home on the tour is generally about 30 minutes long with some being longer depending on the tour guide or questions being asked.

Be sure to also check out some of the excellent cuisine of restraunts that are also located in historical buildings. For sure, get reservations at The Castle Restraunt at Dunleith Plantation which is now a bed and breakfast as well. The food, atmosphere and wait staff is fantastic and is well worth the money spent.

Mark it on your calendar to visit Natchez, MS in the fall or the spring of 2014 for the Pilgrimage of homes, you will be glad you did!

5  Thank sierratango60
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is the most gorgeous small town you will ever find. 36 antebellum mansions, over 550 antebellum structures. Fabulous antique shopping, gift shops, fine restaurants and eateries. Hotels and B & B's abound; just take your pic; some overlooking the river. This city allows no demolition so you actually view the original facades of the buildings in the Historic District. A "MUST SEE" city for EVERYONE.

3  Thank TRAVELINGDINERS
Reviewed 11 March 2013

They have the Pilgrimage very well organized. We were there this time the first weekend and it wasn't crowed at all, that will change as the month goes on. But the home owners spent more time with us and were quite hospitable.

1  Thank katnicHoover_Alabama
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have been to the Natchez Pilgrimage now for many years. One week I stayed the entire week and went through around twenty home tours. I love houses and I love the feeling of going back into time to see how people experienced their lives during this time period. I plan on going again this year. It is always different and they put many different homes on tour. You can still visit some of your favorite homes because many of them are back on tour from year to year and they mix it up to keep it interesting. I love the history behind each home and I love meeting the people giving the tours as well as visitors that come from all over the United States and the other countries that are in town in Natchez. Each time I have a lot of nice fun and interesting people that also seem to have a good story to tell.