“The Best Po-Boy I've Ever Had!”
Review of Cajun Cookin' - CLOSED

Cajun Cookin'
“The Best Po-Boy I've Ever Had!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband & I went to Natchez for a weekend conference, and dined here not once, but twice...that's how good this place is. We knew it would be a long time until we came back to Natchez, & we wanted to try other things on the menu! The first time, I ordered a grilled shrimp Po-boy that was amazing & affordable. The shrimp was fresh from the gulf (the owner says he only uses fresh) & was the "fluffiest" shrimp I've ever eaten. My husband order the etouffee & said it was amazing as well. The owner is a native of New Orleans, misplaced by Katrina, & his accent & welcoming spirit make you feel as if you just walked in off the streets of NO. On our first visit, we asked him to recommend a dessert, to which he said his bread pudding is the best around, & we believed him, we just ran out of room! So the next day we came back, split a fried shrimp Po-boy (also good, but I think in this case the shrimp is so good, that it's best in a purer grilled form) & enjoyed sharing a bread pudding. Definitely worth it! The only draw back I could see to the restaurant is that there's not a lot of seating/privacy, but if that bothers you, just get the food to go & go eat it by the riverfront!

• Visited February 2014

FREEBURG
“Authentic cajun food in the heart of Natchez”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Tucked in to once was once a Church's Fried Chicken is a jewel of a restaurant with fantastic, authentic cajun food. Paul Melancon, the owner, is a delightful, generous host that has brought his New Orleans recipes to Natchez. My husband and I enjoyed his wonderful PoBoys at lunch and in our conversation with Paul mentioned that we wanted to have fried catfish that evening. He sent out a sample of his fried catfish with lunch and we were thrilled not only with the wonderful catfish but of his generosity. Needless to say, we came back that evening for crawfish balls, catfish ponchatrain topped with etoufee and fried catfish. Yum, yum!

• Visited March 2014
“The real deal!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Was reluctant to eat here due to the size of the dining area, this would have been a massive mistake to not eaten here. Paul is a native New Orleans guy and being from the N.O. area myself,I recognized this immediately and knew we were in for some good home cooking. We had the Roast Beef PoBoy which came loaded with gravy! Will eat here again!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank KenDRoberts1
“Truly authentic taste of New Orleans!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We weren't sure about this place when we pulled up on the outside but decided to give it a shot anyway. When we walked in, Paul, the owner, was on the phone and as soon as I heard his accent I knew we'd made the right choice! Had a roast beef po boy and it was absolutely amazing. Had we not had to leave town so early, we'd have eaten supper there too. The pace doesn't look like much, but don't deprive yourself by judging this book by its cover. Go see Paul and let him send your tastebuds out of this world with his true homestyle New Orleans fixins!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank rcaldwell2021
Bullard, Texas USA
“Excellent home-style cookin with creole flavors and daily specials”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Locally owned and friendly small cafe. Excellent po-boys served on Gambino's French Bread. Seafood gumbo and plate lunch specials. Deli and take-outs. Fried shrimp, oyster or catfish plate lunches served with fries, salad or slaw, bread and so very, very tasty. Paul, the owner is at the counter taking your order and is helpful answering questions about the specials and filling in with local knowledge about the area. Reasonably priced for quality local favorite foods.

• Visited August 2013