“Favorite Place for the weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monmouth Historic Inn Natchez

Monmouth Historic Inn Natchez
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Natchez
Birmingham, AL
“Favorite Place for the weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I love this place. The courtyard in the afternoon with happy hour, the breakfast in the back of the property, the house itself and the guest rooms are all lovely. Enjoy a weekend just walking the grounds and chatting with other guests. I am somewhat partial to this place, as I grew up in Natchez and remember when it was crumbling. Ron and Lonnie Riches lovingly restored and nurtured it for years, and now it is under new management.
My son and I enjoyed a couple of nights here in March, but did not have dinner there since we ran out of time (we have to eat at Fat Mama's Tamales and Cock of the Walk everytime we are in town). The last time I ate dinner at Monmouth, it was delicious and the atmosphere in the house for dinner is nice - something you can't get many places. I would call ahead for the dinner menu and make reservations if you definitely want to eat dinner here.
The breakfast was great.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Room which is separate from the main house, but I love the location and love t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I stayed May 3rd for one night at Monmouth to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I was struck by the beauty of the rooms with canopy beds in their pictures online and was SO excited to stay. The rooms oozed historical charm and it is the canopy that is the crowning showpiece. We made a reservation online and since there were not any rooms left with a full canopy in the room description, we made a reservation for a room with a half canopy and requested a room with a full one if it became available. If it didn't, well at least we had a half canopy.

When we went to check in we discovered that not only did we not have a room with a full canopy, but we also didn't even have the half canopy that was in the room description! We were put in a room with no canopy at all!

I realize this is such an insignificant thing to most people, but it was very important to me. In fact, it was the entire reason we booked this hotel over others. I regret to say I lost my composure and started to cry. I was so upset and got even more upset at myself for not being able to keep my tears back. Marie at the front desk tried very hard to solve the problem which was exacerbated by the hotel being sold out that night. Luckily, she was able to do some creative adjusting and got us into a room with a canopy. We did have to go from a king to a queen, but it was worth it.

I must say, the staff is really phenomenal. From the front desk to the woman wiping tables in the courtyard, everyone had a bright smile, asked us if we were enjoying our stay, and if there was anything we needed. Marie and Lacey at the front desk were very kind and helpful, Hal gave us great recommendations, hotel information, and waved at us with a bright smile every time we saw him. Roosevelt is a charmer in the lounge and really does make the best mint juleps we have ever had. There was a tremendous attention to detail as well. Our light went out on the bed stand and by the time we came back from dinner it was replaced without us saying a word. I can't say I have experienced such warmth and hospitality from EVERYONE we encountered (I have a degree in hospitality management and with my background in hotels, I know how hard it is to keep staff consistently happy). The new owners must treat them very well, as they deserve.

The gardens are very beautiful and the tour of the mansion was interesting. I wish we had been in a room in the mansion because they don't want you to go in there unless that's where your room is or you have reservations for the restaurant. You have to wait for the tour the next morning. Our room was very small and I think if we had been in the mansion, we wouldn't have felt that as much.

Breakfast was good. I think they must have different choices during the week because I heard a server saying there was only one choice today. They have yogurt, muffins, juices, butter, and jellies on the cold bar. We were served eggs made to our liking, a piece of sausage, a piece of bacon, grits, and a biscuit. When I think of a southern breakfast I think of biscuits and gravy. I would have loved for that to be an option. Pancakes would have been yummy too. The appetizers in the evening consisted of only cheese and crackers. Not much of an appetizer, but at least something was offered.

I can't say the bed was incredibly comfortable, but I admit I am very spoiled by our cloud like bed at home. If you are a normal person it will likely be fine for you. I do wish they would put more pillows on the bed. We had to request more (before we found two in the closet). Why not just put the ones in the closet on the bed? It made it look much more luxurious with the extra pillows.

That about sums it up. Tips: Call the hotel to make reservations, requests must not be looked at until check in so call ahead to make sure you get what you want. Stay in the mansion for the full experience. Get at least a suite so you don't feel cramped. Don't forget to ask for a AAA discount if you are a member.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sharpschruter23
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

At the Monmouth Historic Inn, the spirit of John Quitman, former owner and Mississippi governor, may be seen and felt in the lounge which bears his name. My husband and I were having drinks(non alcoholic) and snacks in the Quitman Lounge one afternoon, when I felt an icy caress on my right arm. The same thing happened to my daughter during a previous visit. While the mansion may be haunted and some of the staff may agree with this claim, I have, however, felt no fear - only welcome. The people that work here are extremely friendly, helpful, and happy - esp Hal, who supplied my husband with fishing gear for his daily visit to the pond and Miss Mary, who whips up wonderful southern breakfasts each morning. Rooms have been designed according to the historic period of Monmouth, but includes modern amenities which promote luxury - you get what you pay for here. Surprises occur while walking the grounds; the scent of wisteria, the yellow of daffodils, a family of ducks, a weathered gazebo, an herb garden. At night, the trees are lit with twinkling lights.
I enjoyed sitting at a wrought iron table situated in a cobblestone courtyard, a water fountain nearby, playing its unique melody. At Monmouth, I found time to dream.

2 Thank pb2travel
Chatham, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Monmouth Historic Inn in February and we couldn't have been more pleased! The room was beautiful, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly and the food was very good! I would love to visit again in the spring or fall to appreciate the grounds.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Staying in a plantation with so much history and beauty doesn't get any better! The rooms have a classic style with a big bathroom that has a jetted tub. The gift shop has all sorts of cute things to buy. The landscape is so beautiful and it was easy to walk around the grounds on the gravel paths. There is a hiking trail near the pond and cemetery. Breakfast is made to order southern style which was delicious. We had dinner in the study since the restaurant was closed on Sunday. The study had complementary cheese and crackers. We had a great experience and wished we stayed longer than one night!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Beautiful old inn with tons of history. Amazingly restored. Don't miss the tour. Expensive, but worth it. The grounds are wonderful and a great staff that will make you feel like you are home. Off the main drag, but it would have to be. Sits on 26 manicured acres just outside of town and actually centrally located to all the places you want to go to.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Reading, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is our third visit to Monmouth Inn and it is probably our best visit yet. The new owners have made significant improvements to the grounds - they look gorgeous. The pond is now stocked and fishing rods are available for use. The croquet lawn was set up and was a great way to spend the late afternoon with our friends. Breakfast choices were enticing and delicious. The two couples that came with use had never been to the area before and just loved it!! Well done to the new owners and keep up the great work! Hope to get to return again.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are really nice and peaceful