“Attention!”

Monmouth Historic Inn & Gardens Natchez
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Natchez
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I made a reservation request in April 2009 for one night in July 2009. I did not get a confirmation in time. I sure got the confirmation 48 hours before the requested night, but could not take any notice of it, because I was already on my trip through the USA and had no e-mail available. Their policy is that someone can cancel the reservation without any charges 72 hours before the planned stay. Their confirmation routine does not let You cancel without any charges. I never got my money back. A confirmation right after the reservation would have avoided all the trouble.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 October 2009

everything at Monmouth Plantation was a 4 star experience....from the 1st moment we
entered the doorway to checkout....the people are super nice..of course all the southern hospitality you dream of...the food was excellent, the bed comfy and gardens soothing.
very reasonable rates for the three of us.. thanks

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I just spent a little over a week at Monmouth Plantation and would feel selfish if I didn’t share with you the wonderful experiences I encountered.

I was warmly welcomed by the Southern hospitality of Monmouth’s staff, always asking if they could help with one thing or another. I took the tour of Monmouth upon my arrival, and not only was the tour of the house historically informative, but was interjected with humor where appropriate-we laughed a lot.

The sprawling grounds are so beautifully manicured, green and colorful, with fish-filled ponds where you can actually go fishing, as well as enhanced by gazebos and a sanctuary. I can’t think of a more beautiful and serene venue to take one’s wedding vows.

I was pleased to learn that the variety of the continental breakfast menu was such that the first meal of each day never became boring-there was so much delicious food from which to choose.

My suite was so beautiful and comfortable, decorated in furniture and décor imitating the antebellum period. I felt like a southern belle, sleeping in a magnificent 4-poster, canopied, very comfortable bed; I almost hated to leave my suite.

The raves I heard about dining at 1818, Monmouth’s formal dining room, were certainly lived up to. I ate there on three separate occasions, each time enjoying a different appetizer, entré and dessert. I promise you that you will love everything, including the fried bread, which is like eating potato chips-it’s hard to just eat one. I highly recommend treating yourself to at least one great dinner at 1818.

You will undoubtedly enjoy your stay at Monmouth, where you will experience so much Southern beauty and hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank DonnaKramer
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We spent one night in the mansion and our second night at Quitman's Retreat and thoroughly enjoyed both. The staff was wonderful! We told them at check-in that MS was my husband's 50th state to visit, they sent up a complementary bottle of champagne.

The food was great at dinner; we ate at the chef's table with about eight others. Though if we had known that it would be a group table, we probably would have asked to sit at a separate two person table nearby (there were several in the room).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My girlfriend and I have been traveling around the world. We decided it was time to see parts of the USA. We chose going south. First to New Orleans, then on to Natchez Mississippi. Then we flew to Charleston, South Carolina, drove down to Savannah, Georgia, then to Jekyll Island Georgia and then home to Los Angeles. Our best spot was staying at the beautiful, romantic, 30 acre Monmouth Plantation in Natchez , Mississippi. We saw 10 giant southern plantations and houses in our travels. Nine of them were strictly old southern plantations dating from 1820. They were beautiful. Most had original furnishings from that period before and after the Civil War. All we got was a 30 minute tour costing anywhere from $12 to $30. We got all that at Monmouth during our 2 night stay. The most romantic setting you have ever seen. Giant Oak trees, small water ponds, spectacular floral settings and food fit for a king, or as we say in the USA, fit for presidents and was actually the home of Civil War generals. No better service anywhere in the south. They have personnel who have worked at the plantation for more than 20 years. Great smiles on their faces as they try to make your stay a happy one. Monmouth is just miles away from 7 other plantation houses and a short drive to a real cotton plantation with a real cotton Gin still in operation . The summary.... Romantic...Historic...Relaxing...Educational .... All with great luxurious accomodations. ..What Fun!... A must when traveling the USA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gigi1931
Reviewed 9 September 2009

My husband brought me to Monmouth for a surprise get-away weekend! We arrived later than expected and were very hungry. So, we called the Monmouth a la carte restaurant, "1818," to see if dinner was still being served. The upscale restaurant was about to close, but elected to stay open JUST for us! The service was fabulous and very accommodating! Our room was amazingly ornate and the large bathroom was a great surprise. The complementary, sit-down breakfast at the Garden Room was delicious. Every building was historically beautiful and complemented the immaculate landscaping. Monmouth is also perfectly situated for quick driving to downtown Natchez. We had a wonderful time and truly felt like royalty! Every person at Monmouth was accommodating and helpful which made our weekend very special! We will definitely stay at Monmouth, again, soon!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeauxSouthernBelle
Reviewed 6 September 2009

If you can picture yourself in the bygone days of the old south, this beautiful Antebellum gem can make the dream come true. Period furnishings, gracious staff and delicious cusine complete the package for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple