“Peace, Beauty and Wow! What Service!”

Monmouth Historic Inn & Gardens Natchez
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Natchez
Lakeland, FL
“Peace, Beauty and Wow! What Service!”
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at the Monmouth this past July. The grounds are so beautiful. They are so well kept and are designed to truly bring you back in time. When we were checking in to the room the staff just completely blew me away with their service. We were walked to our rooms and received a tour of the grounds by staff that embodied true, southern gentility. I work for a major retailer in the southeast where customer service is not only taught, but carried out. The Monmouth staff far exceeded any experience I've had with my work or my travels, including those abroad. I truly felt pampered.

The elegance of the rooms will take your breath away. You will be transported back in time and ladies, you will feel like a pampered, southern belle. From the jacuzie tubs to the beautiful, canopy beds you can not miss out on the chance to see the period designs but enjoy the modern comforts available.

We had the opportunity to enjoy the five course dinner in the main house one evening. The food was delicious. Absolutely nothing but the best and the service was once again impeccable.

Peace and tranquility are everywhere you look at the Monmouth Plantation. I sincerely hope that any of you reading this review will make the decision to visit. You will truly enjoy it.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Not enough time there...
  • Tips/Secrets — Perfect place for a early fall couples retreat?
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Davette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed 1 August 2006

There are no words to explain the feeling you receive when you step onto the Monmouth property. It's as if you step back into time, yet you still have the modern comforts that we've all spoiled ourselves with over the years. I should first say that this is not my first trip to the Monmouth. Many years ago (25 to be exact) my father pastored a church in Natchez and I remember the Monmouth as a little girl. Without saying, it's changed a lot over the years, but all for the better.

I contacted the staff of the Monmouth when I decided to get married after 8 years of engagement and the pleasure of having a son. So, we drove all the way from Orlando, FL (14 of us total) in a caravan of sorts with my "dream wedding" in mind. I'm happy to say the staff at the Monmouth did not let us down.

We were put in the pond cottages as a group, which worked out well because we could run back in forth between rooms without disturbing anyone. (I was particularly fond of the jacuzzi tub installed in my room.) At the same time, it was close enough to the main house that we could run up and enjoy the cocktail hour or hang out in their cute little gift shop....ladies, this is a must see.

The wedding itself didn't exactly go as we'd planned it, but that was totally out of the staff's hands. 30 minutes before I was suppose to meet my sweetheart to exchange vows in the garden area, it POURED rain. Not wanting to ruin my dress, we moved it all inside. Without a word, the staff got to work making sure the unity candles were set up and the music was moved....very impressive in a time crunch. It actually worked out better because the lobby is BEAUTIFUL for pictures and I was able to come down the winding staircase. Following the ceromony, we dined in the main house and was treated to a wonderful 5 course meal. Cruise ships can't touch the quality! (Breakfast is just as yummy.)

Another thing that works out well with the Monmouth is their location. Just a 5 minute drive puts you right on the Mississippi river and close to shops and restaurants that have been there for years....some way before I was born.

All in all, the trip was well worth the 14 hour drive. We are already planning to visit again...maybe our 5 year anniversary. I know I've mentioned the staff often, but I must reinerate how wonderful they are. (I've included a picture of us with Hal, who has worked with the Monmouth for 17 years. You MUST speak with him while you're there...if you don't you're missing out.) While I was there I was having lunch with Lani Riches, one of the owners and I asked her where in the world they find the great staff that works for them. She replied (and I'll try to quote - Lani, forgive me if I'm a little off) "I don't have any staff that works FOR me....they work WITH me. We just try to be compassionate to each of their situations individually and do what we can to keep them happy. The Lord has sent each of them to us and we just feel so blessed to have them as part of our family." ....this approach is definately paying off because you can see that the entire staff is dedicated to making your stay with them as comforatable and enjoyable as possible.

If you are wanting a relaxing, romantic get-a-way I encourage you to visit the Monmouth. It is an experience you will not forget.

(PS - Tell Hal I said 'hi" =)

• Liked — The kindness of the staff.
  • Disliked — The Darned Mississippi bugs. (I have no complaints about the hotel.)
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank HARRIETRED
Reviewed 18 July 2006

My husband and I travel a good bit and are always on the go ninety-to-nothing when we travel. Our jobs keep us very busy. Our anniversary was July the first. We wanted a weekend away without the kids with no sight seeing and no strenous activities for the day; just peace and tranquility. We rented a room at the Monmouth Plantation in Natchez, Ms. It was just what the heart ordered. We had flowers, chocolate and wine awaiting our arrival. The staff was very attentive and accessible; some of the nicest people you could ever meet. The setting was beautiful. The gardens were so peaceful. The gazebos by the lake, and the hammocks on the grounds were just what we were looking for. The SOUTHERN tradition really and truly surrounded you. I am 34 years of age, and my husband is 38. The classical music that played in the lounge, dining room and breakfast cottage showed us a new way of relaxing. Since we have returned home, we find ourselves from time to time listening to classical music and leaving the world as we know it briefly behind. The georgous antebellum home leaves you with a great deal of appreciation for the Southern Heritage. For anyone who chooses to visit the Monmouth Plantation must make reservations for the five course meal they serve in the evenings. It is well worth the money. The complimentary breakfast served in the breakfast cottage is too well worth the stay. There is not a whole lot to do in Natchez, Ms., but if you are looking for a quiet peaceful getaway, it is a must see and a great experience. My husband and I are going to make it a tradition for our anniversary every year to spend the weekend at the Monmouth. The grounds are the most beautiful thing you will ever see. The owners too are wonderful people whom we were lucky enough to meet during our stay. I rate the Monmouth Plantation very much so above average, and a very top of the line romanic getaway. It doesn't get much better than this. Melissa and Bill Lott

Reviewed 12 June 2006

Well it is summer vacation now and the parents most difficult job? entertaining the kids.

MONMOUTH PLANTATION was the destination. Monmouth Plantation is located in Natchez, Mississippi, the oldest rivertown on the "Mighty Mississippi". By visiting Natchez we expected to soak up some of the history and culture that this town just seems to boil over with while spending family time away from work, friends, telephone and of course CHORES, so we packed up the caravan, bringing along the mandatory game of Monopoly, a deck of playing cards and a variety of books. I must admit as departure time drew nearer I became more tense, you see daddy was going to be working while myself and the children vacationed, and the children are all the wrong ages (joke). We have two teenagers, our son 16 and our daughter 14 (clash) we also have an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter (another clash) and don't forget the clash of the teenagers with the young ones as well, suiting each of their expectations does become most difficult. Finally by 10:30 am we were on the road and now looking back, it was such a short drive to a magical retreat that encompassed EVERYONES expectations and also became a small price to pay for the theraputic healing that resulted for our family. EVERY FAMILY SHOULD EXPERIENCE THIS.

Arriving at Monmouth Plantation:
From the moment of check-in the magical moments began as we toured the gift shop, that's right, the gift shop. It is so full of special and unique items that cannot be passed on, there was something suitable for everyone that did not have the opportunity to enjoy these special days with us, actually there are some things that we intend to buy on our agreed apon next visit to Monmouth Plantation, it is still hard for me to believe that we ALL agreed to come back to the same place which RARELY happens. After we got past the gift shop we decided to go ahead and check in and once again we got more than we expected as that staff attended to us so personally, giving us a personal tour of the grounds, seeing us to our suites and attending to our every need assuring our total satisfaction before leaving us to what we thought would be board games and books.

The Suite Moments:
After viewing the suites first hand, (we did see pictures) we knew there would be no need to unpack those "in case we get bored" items. The suites came complete with everything we needed to have a wonderfull stay. We all wanted to start with a hot Jaccuzi bath to freshen up for the evening however the landscape of Monmouth Plantation is so breathtakingly beautiful that we had to resist the urge in order to take advantage of the daylight hours touring the fragrant landscape of this pre-civil war property that has been restored and maintained by its current owners for more that 30 years now. Have you heard the saying 'time flies when you're having fun'? well it did, before we knew it we were getting a reminder call for the evening get together in the former owners study for drinks before dinner which allows the opportunity for the guests of the entire property to come together to mingle and prepare for the next days itenerary. During all of the sponsored events perfection is displayed as if imperfection did not exist. Back up to the suites we headed, we found that our beds had been turned down and chocolates had been left on our pillows. Space was definately not an issue with the oversized baths, private balconies, sleeping quarters and living areas. We stayed up very late enjoying good conversation and the snacks and drinks that were in the room waiting for us, it was so perfect that we did not have to leave the grounds for anything, it was truely a retreat.

Is It Truely Over?:
I made it through the night, Yes!. I can hardly believe that the I myself was more relaxed than I had been in a long while, we all had a great night and were ready for this new day. We, inspite of staying up late bonding were all up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, breakfast was ready but we could not resist another tranquil walk amoung the historical gardens then down to breakfast we went where we again met with other guests and enjoyed a great selection of items prepared in that same perfection that is now evidentaly standard for Monmouth Plantation. After breakfast we toured the main house learning of the history and admiring the furnishings that have lasted throughout the times. As I have come to find out also that the current owners of this plantation home can frequently be found on the grounds mingling with the guests and sharing their personal spirit of hospitality in which I am sure has gone into making Monmouth Plantation what it is today. After a bit of fishing, playing crochet, checking out the species of plant life that exists on Monmouth it was time to go and the battle begins again, no one wants to leave. We will be back, you should join us.

Reviewed 5 June 2006

Monmouth Plantation offered the perfect setting for our small and elegant wedding reception. Our forty eight guests were served a fabulous five course meal in the plantation's lavishly decorated dining room. They then spent the night in rooms uniquely decorated by the owner with original antiques. Every room is completely different but equally as charming and luxurious. The Plantation breakfast was very southern and prepared individually for each guest in the garden room. We had many compliments on the beauty of Monouth. The grounds are gorgeously landscaped to reflect the beauty of the particular season. Each room has its own unique connection to the grounds with both views from inside the room and sitting areas outside the room overlooking ponds, woodlands, gardens, etc. The genuine hospitality of each and every staff member gives their guests a true sense of the Old South. I believe it is the "hands on" management of the owners that offers a reflection of their graciousness and makes a stay at Monouth Plantation in Natchez a true "fairy tale" experience.

Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 31 May 2006

A beautiful plantation home with a number of more contemporary separate cottages containing several rooms or suites each. This is our second stay. We stayed in the Duke of Monmouth Suite which is in theQuitman Retreat, a fair distance from the main house. It had both a very large liiving room and large separate bedroom. Service was impeccible and friendly, especially Hal the bellman. A nice breakfast was served in the dining room each morning consisting of eggs, bacon, grits, and biscuits.

The grounds are beautiful with several ponds. Our only criticism of the rooms/suite are that they are pretty consistently very dark. They apparently want to keep them that way as the shades in our suite ciould not be raised more than 1/2 way. It was necessary to turn on lights in the room whenever we were in it. This same darkness pervaded our friend's room (the Riches Suite) and the room we had on our previous stay.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank JIMCHI
Reviewed 18 May 2006

We spent two nights at the monmouth Inn, April 19th and 20th, 2006, and we were delighted. The grounds were extensive and absolutely beautiful. The room was elegant and spacious. The staff was attentive and the food was excellent. It was like a trip intro the past. The property has been well preserved for all to enjoy. We will not hesitate to recommend it to our freinds. We plan to return.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member