“Outstanding”

Monmouth Historic Inn & Gardens Natchez
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Natchez
Reviewed 14 November 2006

Perfection in everyway, evening cocktails to private patio,
we were in a slave quarters, 4 poster bed, robes, a large tub, and a small living room. our friends who recommanded Monmouth sent a bottle of champagne, the grounds are breath taking, the home tour is interesting, breakfast was alittle confusing but that was mostly us I think. Southern charm is overflowing, although pricey it's well worth it to step back in time and enjoy a slice of the old south. If you are the Natchez/ Jackson area DON'T MISS. Personally, we wouldn't do something this over the top often but it truely was a little bit of heaven. Absolute comfort, top notch service, we loved our visit

• Stayed: April 2002, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Road&GardenGranny

Reviewed 31 October 2006

My husband and I have visited Monmouth for dinner
about ten or more times and now make it a place where we celebrate holidays and other special occasions. The service staff, under the gracious and kind coordinator Debra, are friendly and truly are interested in your having a wonderful dining experience.
The physical surroundings are superb. True Southern hospitality and Old South atmosphere. Gone With The Wind
live! The chef is fantastic. We started eating at Monmouth during the Natchez Food and Wine Festival several years ago and now
book Christmas and New Years Eve celebrations there as well.
We haven't actually stayed overnight in a room though I'm sure it is wonderful. We do plan on staying there at some point The dining and celebration experiences there are
one of a kind. If you don't stay at Monmouth, (which I hear are first class), at least book a dinner there. It is well worth it.
Say hi to Roosevelt! He is one of the nicest and happiest people
I've met and is a jewel of Monmouth. This is the perfect place to celebrate a wedding, anniversary or other special occassion! If you visit Natchez, make this your special dinner out especially if you want a romantic dinner. Book in advance. They sell out of their holiday seating very quickly and I'm sure weekends are the same. They have an incredible quail over grits dish that is to die for! We have eaten this dish at least five times and it never disappoints.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveTheSouth
Reviewed 26 October 2006

We visited during the annual Natchez Fall Pilgrimage. Monmouth was just beautiful with the Spanish moss draping from the Oak tr ees. The guess rooms at Monmouth are in Antebellum decor.
The are luxurious and most have fireplaces. The staff was very attentive and the Southern breaksfast was very tasty indeed.

The grounds of Monmouth ---you have to see to believe. Truly a place of beauty and relaxation.

Can hardly wait to visit again. Natches is a charming little city . Kings Tavern restaurant is also a great place to eat. Over 200 years old and said to be haunted. Next time I will visit in the spring when the hundreds of azaleas and wisteria are in bloom.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank southernbelle123
Reviewed 12 September 2006

We wanted to spend a few days at a bed and breakfast near our home following our wedding before heading to our "real honeymoon". Well, what we found at Monmouth Plantation was true southern hospitality at its best! (We returned two months later for another stay.) The minute we drove on the property we were treated like royalty! The staff, especially Roosevelt, couldn't have been nicer and were so helpful! Roosevelt reviewed an area map with us and gave us all the local hot spots and places to see. What a true southern gentlemen! The suites are fabulous and the most beautiful plantation rooms you'll ever see. The beds are canopied and very comfortable. The living room, bathrooms and closets are quite large. The turn down service in the evening is wonderful and that piece of chocolate on the pillow always gives you a special feeling. The included breakfast is beautifully served in an authentic plantation dining room (separate building with outdoor covered patio with fans) and includes both cold selections (i.e continental type foods) and a complete hot breakfast, including eggs, grits, awesome biscuits, bacon, sausage or ham, and great southern coffee. In the evenings, free hor'derves and drinks (charged to your room) are served in an authentic plantation gentlemen's retreat. Henry rules at the bar and he too is a true southern gentlemen. If you like Mint Juleps, don't pass it up. Henry and Roosevelt have worked at the plantation for years and make you feel at home. Make sure you look at the pictures and ask about some of the items displayed. Do not pass up making reservations for the nightly dinner (will cost extra but very worth it) in the main house dining room. Request to be seated at the main table. You will enjoy meeting the other quests and the conversation is wonderful. Each time we stayed, we met great people from all parts of the United States. You can sit at a private table but that's no fun. You will be served fabulous food by George and possibly Henry prepared by the plantation's own executive chef. The service is perfect. Meal includes soup, salad, sorbet, main entree and dessert. Fabulous wines are served (added to your bill) or you can select it by the bottle. Don't miss the well appointed gift shop and spend some time walking the grounds. 26 acres of sculptured gardens, a lake with gazebo, large trellis, azaleas everywhere, beautiful trees and even a croquet area. The owners from California stay at the plantation every month and their attention to detail and their guests shows from beginning to end. Ask if they are in and visit with them, they will appreciate your comments. Downtown Natchez provides lots to do. Your trip will be well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank neworleanswillbeback
Reviewed 12 September 2006

We stayed for 3 nights in late August, and I wish I had at least a few more days at Monmouth. The sense of tranquility and relaxation starts creeping into your jittery body the minute you drive onto the property. The sites and sounds of the Old South all around you will make you feel truly transplanted and ready to explore wonderful Natchez.

We stayed in the Duke of Monmouth suite in the Quitman's Retreat buliding. It has a front porch and a back porch that is up against the woods. The room also has a separate living room with a fireplace. Antique furnishings fill the suite. The free breakfast at Monmouth is excellent.

If you want to relax, take a trip to the Natchez area. It moves at a slow pace that you can feel immediately. Have some tamales at Fat Mama's and tour as many houses as you can, while taking in the views of the Mississippi. If you really want to take your mind off of everything, take a drive on the Natchez Trace Pkwy for an hour and stop at the marked sites.

One tip: if you will be arriving after dark, make sure you have extremely detailed directions. There are no visible road signs for the streets that intersect Route 61 in Natchez.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
6  Thank LMK5
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at the Monmouth this past July. The grounds are so beautiful. They are so well kept and are designed to truly bring you back in time. When we were checking in to the room the staff just completely blew me away with their service. We were walked to our rooms and received a tour of the grounds by staff that embodied true, southern gentility. I work for a major retailer in the southeast where customer service is not only taught, but carried out. The Monmouth staff far exceeded any experience I've had with my work or my travels, including those abroad. I truly felt pampered.

The elegance of the rooms will take your breath away. You will be transported back in time and ladies, you will feel like a pampered, southern belle. From the jacuzie tubs to the beautiful, canopy beds you can not miss out on the chance to see the period designs but enjoy the modern comforts available.

We had the opportunity to enjoy the five course dinner in the main house one evening. The food was delicious. Absolutely nothing but the best and the service was once again impeccable.

Peace and tranquility are everywhere you look at the Monmouth Plantation. I sincerely hope that any of you reading this review will make the decision to visit. You will truly enjoy it.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Davette
Reviewed 1 August 2006

There are no words to explain the feeling you receive when you step onto the Monmouth property. It's as if you step back into time, yet you still have the modern comforts that we've all spoiled ourselves with over the years. I should first say that this is not my first trip to the Monmouth. Many years ago (25 to be exact) my father pastored a church in Natchez and I remember the Monmouth as a little girl. Without saying, it's changed a lot over the years, but all for the better.

I contacted the staff of the Monmouth when I decided to get married after 8 years of engagement and the pleasure of having a son. So, we drove all the way from Orlando, FL (14 of us total) in a caravan of sorts with my "dream wedding" in mind. I'm happy to say the staff at the Monmouth did not let us down.

We were put in the pond cottages as a group, which worked out well because we could run back in forth between rooms without disturbing anyone. (I was particularly fond of the jacuzzi tub installed in my room.) At the same time, it was close enough to the main house that we could run up and enjoy the cocktail hour or hang out in their cute little gift shop....ladies, this is a must see.

The wedding itself didn't exactly go as we'd planned it, but that was totally out of the staff's hands. 30 minutes before I was suppose to meet my sweetheart to exchange vows in the garden area, it POURED rain. Not wanting to ruin my dress, we moved it all inside. Without a word, the staff got to work making sure the unity candles were set up and the music was moved....very impressive in a time crunch. It actually worked out better because the lobby is BEAUTIFUL for pictures and I was able to come down the winding staircase. Following the ceromony, we dined in the main house and was treated to a wonderful 5 course meal. Cruise ships can't touch the quality! (Breakfast is just as yummy.)

Another thing that works out well with the Monmouth is their location. Just a 5 minute drive puts you right on the Mississippi river and close to shops and restaurants that have been there for years....some way before I was born.

All in all, the trip was well worth the 14 hour drive. We are already planning to visit again...maybe our 5 year anniversary. I know I've mentioned the staff often, but I must reinerate how wonderful they are. (I've included a picture of us with Hal, who has worked with the Monmouth for 17 years. You MUST speak with him while you're there...if you don't you're missing out.) While I was there I was having lunch with Lani Riches, one of the owners and I asked her where in the world they find the great staff that works for them. She replied (and I'll try to quote - Lani, forgive me if I'm a little off) "I don't have any staff that works FOR me....they work WITH me. We just try to be compassionate to each of their situations individually and do what we can to keep them happy. The Lord has sent each of them to us and we just feel so blessed to have them as part of our family." ....this approach is definately paying off because you can see that the entire staff is dedicated to making your stay with them as comforatable and enjoyable as possible.

If you are wanting a relaxing, romantic get-a-way I encourage you to visit the Monmouth. It is an experience you will not forget.

(PS - Tell Hal I said 'hi" =)

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family