“Run away...ants everywhere!”

Dunlop Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
“Run away...ants everywhere!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Run for your life!...what a horrible experience...in the first 5 minutes of our stay, the toilet overflowed..which the owner promply blamed on my 7 year old...later that night we realized the room was infested with ants...when we complained he blamed it on the fact that we had made the toilet overflow...not sure what water has to do with attracting ants...very rude...pillows as flat as a pancake...a horrible representation of the Goderich area...will NEVER go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian M
Judy D, Owner at Dunlop Motel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
It is unfortunate you encountered these issues during your recent stay with us. As we discussed previously, the toilet was working fine prior to your arrival and has been funtionally ever since. When you notified us someone saw ants, we came to your room to remedy the situation, but the only person able to see the ants was your young daughter, even your wife could not see any. Please be assured the property is monitored monthly by a pest control company and remedial action is taken. We certainly want you to have a restful stay with us. We assumed that all was OK with you and your room since you continued to oocupy the room well after our normal check-out time and made no further cmments to us in the morning.
Please be assured that the safety and comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us.
Judy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 26 August 2012

No complaints about this place. We were in room 10. The room was large. It was furnished with two queen beds, two chairs and a table, a desk, a LCD tv, a fridge, a window AC unit and a microwave. The room was quiet as always. We will be back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gareauk
Judy D, Owner at Dunlop Motel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
It is always a pleasure to have your family stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you all next summer.
Thanks again,
Judy&ED
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Very clean and large room. Judy and Ed are a super couple and very helpful with knowledge of the area. We will be going back next summer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LLG12
, Owner at Dunlop Motel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
We certainly enjoyed discussing the Goderich area with you and that you found lots to do. Thanks for your kind words. See you next year.
Ed&Judy
Campbellford, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

i have a delivery run of packaging products and i try to stay at the Dunlop on Wednesday nights ,,,,,it is very much like home for me with a nice couch and coffee table to do my paper work on,and also have free wifi great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank timberfromcanada
Judy D, Owner at Dunlop Motel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for your comments on the Dunlop Motel, we appreciate that very much.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Goderich.
ED&Judy
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We always try to book the Dunlop motel when visiting family in Goderich. Our stays here have always been pleasant.

We stayed in room #10 for $99/night. Much improvement has been made since visiting last year. We noticed new couches, mattresses, paint, carpet, and ceiling tiles. We also enjoyed having free wireless internet, a mini fridge, a microwave and a window AC unit.

While in Goderich we ate at a fabulous restaurant called The White Carnation. Don't be fooled by it's appearance, this place is a gem in disguise. Reservations only!

Overall, we had a very pleasant trip and will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank gareauk
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We come to Goderich once a year to visit my Grand Parents and we always try to book the Dunlop. We've stayed at other places but they just don't match the quality you get when you stay here.

Ya the furniture is a little outdated but so what. It keeps your butt off the floor. It's not like you're going to be spending your entire day in the room anyways. By the way, the room is very spacious compared to other over priced hotels/motels that I've stayed in. The room is clean and comfortable. There is a mini fridge and an AC unit in the room. The staff is always friendly and are always there if you need something.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank gareauk
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I have never written a rating before but I was so impressed with this experience I felt I had to. With my profession, I spend approximately 100 hotel nights a year on the road throughout Ontario and Northeastern United States. This being my first time to Goderich for meetings, I booked into the Dunlop Motel and quite frankly was unsure what to expect. I was warned that the furnishings of the motel were dated and not get my hopes up. Well when I arrived and checked in I was blown away! Yes the furnishings are dated, BUT the room was beyond spotless, the bathroom was exceptional, full cable tv, and full wireless internet without one drop in connection. The owner upon checking in was so personable and a great ambassador for Goderich providing directions, where to eat, what to see and do etc. If that was not enough, he checked on me at 8:30pm to make sure everything was to my satisfaction. The peace and quiet was amazing since I had a considerable amount of work to do for my meeting. You were greeted with a smile and felt like you were at home. I have stayed in many 5 and 6 star hotels and this place is a diamond in the rough and the owner provides what many 5 and 6 star hotels don't..... exceptional customer service.

I have just read a blog from someone who claims the service is terrible based on a phone interruption when reserving and all I can say is if what this person described is poor customer service than the person truly is HIGH Maintenance and I am sure even a 5 and 6 star hotel's worst nightmare.

Great job staff at the Dunlop and cannot wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business