“Not Consistant Enough”
Review of John's Restaurant

John's Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 68 Restaurants in Napanee
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Bacon and eggs and service was awesome the first time then really awful the next. The waitress never smiles but the owner is a real card.

1  Thank SueVanD

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We dropped into John's for lunch when in Napanee for a visit. As soon as I walked in he said I know you. For the life of me I couldn't recall him. I ordered a club and my wife a BLT. The fries with the club were crudely cut but perfectly cooked. The sandwich was excellent. My wife raved about her BLT. Huh. A BLT. The waitress was an older woman and very friendly. I asked her where he could possibly know me from. She asked me if I had patronized a certain restaurant in Kingston. When I answered to the affirmative she replied John use to work there many years ago, Amazing, that had to be at least 30 years.

As I paid my tab, John asked if I remembered him yet. Putting everything together I vaguely recalled him. What a guy. He has to be in his 80's and sharp as a tack. Still serving great food, nothing fancy, just good food well cooked.

If you're in Napanee John's is definitely worth a visit.

2  Thank Neil D
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Breakfast dining at John's transports you well back into the last century when folks had significantly different service and culinary expectations. Don't miss the experience.

It's about 6:30 A. M. and John's appears to be the only open restaurant in town. Lucky me. As I entered John shouted a hearty "Sit anywhere and I'll be with you in a minute." greeting from the open kitchen in the rear of his restaurant. So I sat at the chrome-trimmed counter and the few nearby customers nodded their welcomes to me. John promptly brought the menu and my coffee. "If you want a refill, from now on help yourself.", he said pointing to the coffee brewer on the back bar. I like this. It's like being transported back into Mayberry, West Virginia. Only Sheriff Andy and Deputy Barney won't be in for their morning coffees for quite a few hours.

My scrambled eggs were perfectly done, light and fluffy with just the right amount of moistness. The accompanying sausages were lightly grilled. Just browned, not deep fried that renders the casing nearly inedible as most others places seem to do in the name of culinary expediency these days. The toast is toast done right, day old bread so it browns, but fresh enough to still be moist in the centre.

A customer from further down the counter strikes up a conversation with me and then takes out his wallet to show me the picture of his first car, a 1954 Ford. What do you have in your wallet to share with others?

If it's not too busy, ask and John will share some details of his lifelong career of serving others carefully, charmingly, honestly and completely to the very best of his ability. John is 85 and still in apparent good health. You owe it to yourself to come to this little glimpse of the past and revel in the experience. It may not be available to us much longer.

John's prices are embarrassingly low while the total experience here is rich beyond all expectations. I didn't want to leave.

Every hospitality student in Canada ought to be required to spend a day, a week, - whatever is possible, and learn at the side of the master the true nature of their industry.

4  Thank Ephjay
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Yes, we are going back! After an appointment in Kingston, we drove through Napanee and stopped at John's Restaurant. The place we pretty empty as it was 45 minutes from closing time. John greeted us, took our order, prepared the food, served the food... and was such a delight to talk with... There were a few other customers that seemed to be regulars. The price is right and the food was good. The place was very clean!! That is important! After we ate, we learned some of John's history and how he came to be in Canada.Wonderful! Don't be in a hurry.... Enjoy!!!

3  Thank makerofdreams1