“Special evening, special meal”
Review of Royal Coachman

Royal Coachman
Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Napanee
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Royal Coachman is one of Napanee's oldest Restaurants. Table service with linen. Serves great chicken and steak entree's. Also serves a seafood buffet four times a month.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My family of 7 were celebrating Mothers Day early by going out for a meal on the Saturday night, to avoid the crowds. We picked the Royal Coachman for sentimental reasons - havent been there in over 30 years, and the last time was with my grandfather, now deceased.

Upon arrival, we were greeted and seated at a comfortable table, with two other tables for 4 in the same room. There are a number of rooms to be seating in, so each room has a coziness to it.

We were able to review the menu, get drinks and place our order in a timely fashion, but it did take at least 30 minutes to get our appetizers and even a basket of the homemade rolls (though they were worth waiting for!). I'm ok with this pace, others not so much, so decide before you go if you are good with a slow, leisurely meal, or want a quick bite, in which case go somewhere else for dinner. I dont recommend it for families with small children.

The appetizers were great - I ordered onion rings ($5 for at least a dozen, certainly enough to share with everyone) which were crisp and flavourful, not greasy at all. Others ordered stuffed mushroom caps, escargot ($11, I think), all to rave reviews.

The special that night was Prime Rib ($30)- none of us opted for that, and ordered off the menu.

I had strip sirloin steak - comes with baked potato and sour cream, a side of yummy carrots (they were somehow sweetened) and mushrooms ($32). Other selections included the chicken wellington ($33?) and everyone said it was the best restaurant meal they had eaten in awhile.

Also on the menu were salads, and seafood and pasta selections. Something to try the next time!

Dessert was a frothy chocolate drizzled Baileys concoction that we shared, and some strawberry cheesecake for the "kids" that was absolutely overflowing with big juicy strawberries. I think three of us elected to take a doggie bag home, as the meal was too much to finish in one sitting.

We really enjoyed this meal, especially my mother, and on Mothers Day, thats all that counts. I understand that on Mothers Day Sunday, there were to be 3 sittings for a buffet offering.

There are special seafood buffets every month, and now we would like to give those a try.

Its about a 30 minute drive from Kingston to just outside of Napanee, on Hwy 2.

I wouldnt hesitate to go again, and as we are expecting out of towners during the summer months, this will be a great option.

Here is the website: http://www.royalcoachmanrestaurant.com/

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Sunday night special roast beef dinner was delicious melt in your mouth. Plenty of hot food served on a platter. The homemade croissants were delicious also. The atmosphere is very cozy. Was too full from the main course to enjoy the dessert.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The best beef wellington ever, Have had several dinners here and they are always spot on.
My wife enjoys the prime rib, always cooked to perfection. The staff is very attentive to your needs. It is priced very well for the quality of food and exceptional service. (compared to franchised restaurants). This is so nice to have a nice quiet and relaxing dinner.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Went for the Roast beef dinner special. Very good! Had a Sunday brunch here before and had planned to do it again, as it was always amazing. Sadly Sunday brunch has been discontinued. When I called I was told about the dinner special and WOW am I pleased I took up the offer. Tender, Juicy, Tasty. Melt in your mouth beef. Only part of the meal that was not perfect was the dessert. not homemade, just mass produced food you can get at any restaurant.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Visited for the first time recently and ordered from a special Valentine's Night menu that offered a choice of appetizers, entrees and desserts. We both opted for bacon-wrapped scallops (done to perfection), prime rib with mashed potato and steamed/sauteed vegs, and apple dumpling. Dinner was accompanied by a great pinot, fresh hot croissants. Mmmmmm! Staff was very attentive and professional. A fabulous meal with very generous portions - enough that we got take-home containers and enjoyed it the next night too. Bill with gratuity was just under $200 including a couple of drinks a piece, which I suspect was higher than their usual offerings because of the occasion and special touches that came with the meal. Will definitely return.