“Unique getaway”

Waterview on The Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wiarton
Reviewed 28 July 2014

For a few dollars more than your average 'hang your hat' motel, Waterview On The Bay provides not only comfy accommodation with fridge and coffee maker, but a heated pool and sun deck, acres of rolling lawns, a clean beach, well-attended gardens accented by stone statuettes and columns and a beautiful view of the lake and bluffs.
Dave and Evan are your gracious hosts who will take care of you like family and roast you some marshmallows at the nightly campfire. In your room, there is a booklet that recounts the struggle to acquire this property and make it the wonderful tourist haven that it is today - and all that stay here are so glad that Dave and Evan have prevailed.
I can truly say 'thank you' for your hospitality and that we shall return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had 6 people and had a cottage for a weekend. I was at first surprised all the cottages are really one big building, but I can't hear my neighbors at all, so that didn't bother me.
The place look very new and clean. ( beside that the entire Bruce peninsula is swarming with flies and Mosquitos. ) Nice little patio outside with private potable BBQ. Quiet private beach.
We spend the day in Tobermory, which was very touristy and pricy. I was glad to stay here and the price was very good for 6 people in Mid July, and to have a nice kitchen and dining table.
The location is far enough from Wiarton to be very residential, and close enough to be convenient. The cave nearby is a great little hike.
My little complain is that wifi is slow. Well, we should cut ourselves off the net when we are out at vacation I guess.

Room Tip: I was totally eyeing the hot tub. Next time I would book early to have the cottage with hot tub.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I should begin by saying I think we had the nicest room in the place, very large with a King size bed. I had a fabulous sleep over the three days we were there. The room had everything we would want given the fact that it is a ways out of town and Wiarton definitely closes down early. I would agree that the room was very humid but given that I am from Alberta, everything in Ontario seems very humid to me. The owners were very kind and considerate, the property quiet and well-maintained. We liked it a lot.

Room Tip: Rooms A and B are definitely the nicest.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The owners were great, and when I told them I was there for business they upgraded my room for free - which was fantastic! The room had everything I needed, with a great view looking out over the lake. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank aalmas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Are you sitting comfortably ?- then I shall begin. From reading the reviews of this motel I had high hopes. Alas the reality was somewhat far-removed from the positive reviews posted. First the good; nice position on the lake and amiable owners. Now the the bad; our room needed several hours of dehumidifying to be near to habitable, there was not enough space to swing a (small size) beaver and the standard of finish was up there with the motel from "Psycho"- correction- even the shower wasn't that good .add to the above paper thin/ creaking floors and voila you have the perfect storm of a lousy night's sleep.Simply dreadful. Nil points for ambiance.

This was sadly the worst of all the accommodation we stayed in during our vacation in Canada (out of 8 hotels ) I was really shocked that the owners could actually consider this acceptable to anyone. I am ashamed to have taken my family there and really regret paying an overinflated price for an incredibly uncomfortable stay. If we had arrived earlier we would have rejected it, but time was against us.

Never,never again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rob J
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my father on a business trip and we were both pleased. The staff was very friendly and attentive, though we didn't need to call on them because everything with our room ran smoothly. Unfortunately, we were only there a couple days, out early and in later, so we weren't able to use the many facilities that the hotel grounds has. We had a great view from our personal balcony of the lake. The room itself had a homey feel, maintaining it's older motel charm while still being clean, comfortable, quiet, and renovated where need be. All for a good price.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake will have a slightly nicer view. All the rooms are pictured on the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was a beautiful location. Great views. Grounds were immaculate. Rooms are dated. Staff was extremely friendly. I would stay again. The one thing I would suggest is to bring food with you. The closest restaurant is quite far from the hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the little extra to get the top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wiarton
Best Western Inn On The Bay
The Spirit Rock Outpost & Lodge
Super 8 Port Elgin
Super 8 Port Elgin
#1 of 6 in Port Elgin

Been to Waterview on The Bay? Share your experiences!