“Beautiful Location, Relaxing Week.”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed 26 April 2008

We just got back from the Villa Montana (stayed there 4/16-20). We were a little nervous when booking the hotel, and there seemed to be two types of travelers – those that had a wedding there and loved it, and those that stayed there not during a wedding and thought it was so so.

QUICK SUMMARY.
Great location, Amazing grounds, good rooms, Restaurant not worth the cost. Definitely would stay there again. Had a great vacation- came back totally relaxed.

PRE-VACATION
I was extremely worried before our trip. I emailed to ask about a couple of their services and never heard back from them. How hard is it to answer an email?? I wanted to request a couple of the more expensive services and just never heard back—weird and not a good start.

GETTING THERE
We flew into San Juan. The drive to the hotel was about 2 hours but it was an easy drive--- pretty much a straight shot. There’s this one point, when you first see the ocean in front of you (going down a hill near Isabella) and it’s like you’re entering another world. Note if you have a gps, it will get you to the villa but it thinks the road is unpaved but it’s paved.

THE GROUNDS
We need to start out by saying that this was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever stayed at. The grounds were amazing. The pictures do not do it justice. The resort is small so everything is within easy walking distance. I can’t say it enough, this is one gorgeous place. Wild birds (including a family of parrots) are right on site.

***Pools***
There are breathtaking two pools, one by Eclipse with bar & rest rooms and one a short walk away. Both pools were breath-taking with the best lounge chairs I’ve ever used. The pools were quite, had plenty of shade and sunny spots. We ended up spending most of our time at the pool not near the Eclipse. The shaded area had two double lounge chairs and a hammock! Hubby spent most of his time there. So relaxing!!!!!

***Beach***
This is a surfers beach so don’t expect to swim here. However we did have a number of long walks along the beach. Slightly to the right of Eclipse restaurant you can walk over some rocks and find the Blue Hole snorkeling area—we’ve heard. However, we were never able to find it, however it was April and the ocean was rough—not the resorts fault.

The Beach resort area had about 20-25 lounge chairs (NOTE TO MANGEMENT: you should get more).

The grounds staff do a great job keeping the beach clean and free of debris (I totally don’t understand a few of the reviews).

THE ROOM
We stayed in one of the garden view rooms, #3062. It was about 11x13 (maybe) with a queen bed, coffee maker, small dorm refrigerator, tv & vcr, iron & ironing board and closet organizer system (note no in room safe). The bed was extremely comfortable and covered in white linen—so comfortable we had no problem sleeping at all. The room was nicely decorated with terracotta tiles and dark wood furniture. There was a ceiling fan, personal room air conditioner and two side tables with lamps. Even with the three lights, the room was dark (think more mood lighting than regular lighting)

The room had the ability to open up to a larger room (think of adjoining room hotel rooms). So the room had a funky ‘extra’ door on the way to the bathroom. I can’t think of any additional way to state it. The bathroom was a good size (larger than some NYC apartment bathrooms). The bathroom was dark too—I think the bulb wattage was too low.

There was a large French door that overlooked a small slate patio that had two chairs and a small table.

There were a few minor issues with the room. When we first got to the room, the A/C sounded like a wind tunnel. The bell hop said he would send maintenance. After an hour, we called the front desk and was told maintenance was gone for the day. However the bell hop came back and did something. However the A/C wasn’t sounding loud by that time-- Maybe it was the start up issue. So it became on non-issue. It worked and kept the room at a constant temperature.

The other issue was with the hot water. Three times the hot water just stopped. The hot water wasn’t really hot so I would take showers without any cold added. I swear the water stopped – no trickle- no cold water just me standing there with soap in my hair and no water. About 4 minutes later, it just started back up—weird.

ROOM SUMMARY
Overall it was a charming room, and more than met our needs. If I had a family I would definitely want to rent a full villa with kitchenette. The personal patio definitely made it worth it. Next time, I would want to have a balcony room (verses the patio) but it definitely was pretty great. The patio was a favorite addition, every morning we had coffee & breakfast there.

THE RESTURANTS
The website claims to have two restaurants, the Eclipse and the O. However the O is open only Saturday nights—so really the only restaurant is Eclipse. We never did eat at the O, but did have our first dinner at Eclipse. The restaurant is beautiful! It’s right overlooking the beach, long white curtains flowing in the breeze, lanterns handing throughout. Absolutely breath-taking. The food was a disappointment. We’ve traveled throughout the Caribbean, Mexico, Europe and live in NYC. We ordered the bruschetta, sushi tuna appetizer and then shrimp tortellini and a meat dish (the first meal my husband wanted wasn’t available—which I thought was weird it wasn’t a big menu to begin with). The only thing that was really good was the tuna appetizer, the bruschetta was on this cracker thing, the tortellini wasn’t cooked enough and the meat was ok. However for the quality, we felt the meal was over priced almost $90 inc tip without drinks (we had water and no alcohol). This was the only meal we had there. I did look at the lunch menu and it looked like for two it would be $30-40 w/o tip—not worth the gamble.

Also double check your bill, be were charged incorrectly for one of the appetizers.

RESTURANT SUMMARY
Service wasn’t as bad as some posters had; we completed our meal in about 2 hours (more European/Caribbean pace than US). We liked it. However, value for the price makes it not worth it.

THE STAFF
Didn’t see the staff too much. There did seem to be some disorganization in the processes. For example, we came out one night to see an entire family sitting outside (one was holding a very young baby). They apparently locked themselves out of their room (you’re only given one key??). They said they have been waiting for over ½ hour to be let in because no one had a key. (how did housekeeping get in?). Don’t bother going to the Eclipse restaurant (next to a pool and the beach) for towels, go to the front desk—the restaurant didn’t have any when we went. I guess this may be an overall thing—as of today still don’t have a response to the email I sent to the resort.

RESORT OVERALL
We would definitely stay at this resort again. The quite atmosphere made it feel like we were the only one’s there. There were two or three weddings during our time there and we never felt that it overshadowed our time. Wouldn’t eat at the restaurant again. If we were to go again, I would have the resort purchase items for the fridge ahead of time (it’s an option on their site).

I think if you think of it as a hotel verses a ‘resort’ you’ll be happier. The term Resort is means activities, activity coordinators and helpful staff. It’s hotel, where you need to make your own fun and if you need constant entertainment, this is definitely not the place for you. If you are a person that like to plan your own stuff (guidebooks, internet etc) this is perfect for you.

Oh side note to mention, I didn’t get any cell signal there (Verizon wireless) so if you need to be constantly connected—note this. I did see others using their cell so maybe it was just Verizon.

SUPERMARKET
After dining in the restaurant, we chose to go to a supermarket to buy snacks, stuff for breakfast and lunches. About 10 -15 minutes away you can find the Economico (or something like that) supermarket. Large, clean and plenty of parking

*directions:
The supermarket is located on the west side of Isabella _ you can stop there on your way to the resort even. Otherwise from the resort take 4466, to 466 E to 459 E. its on your left right has you enter Isabella

TREBOL BAKERY
We had breakfast here our second day. Great espresso coffee and ham & cheese sandwiches. Its to the East of Isabella -- Take 459E to Carretera 113 (parking is in front).

AMANDA’S
This place had amazing Monfungo (mashed plantains forming a bowl, filled with shrimp, chicken or meat (your choice) and peppers, onions and a red sauce.--- mmm our best meal—great appetizers and good wines.
Directions: take 4466 to Carr 110. Address is 8.8 km Carr 110.- 10 mins away.

OCEAN FRONT RESTURANT
This was really good, on Carr 4466E about 5 minutes away. Large wine list for the Caribbean. Walk in, and walk though the bar to a clean, efficient and yummy restaurant. We had dinner there and it was awesome. Definitely a good meal. While you’re waiting, you can go outside and watch the ocean on their private deck or you can eat outside in the outdoor restaurant.

HAPPY BELLIES
Slightly farther down Carr 4466E from the Ocean Front, total dive bar atmosphere on the ocean. Beer, burgers, fries, excellent quick eats. Kids will defiantely like the food here, but us adults did too. Cheap cheap eats-- $30 inc tip beer burgers and appetizer.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jess451

Reviewed 24 April 2008

My husband and I wanted a destination wedding with only a few of our family members. I had investigated sites on the west coast of PR because it really is beautiful on that side. The only site I had liked was Villa Montana. We booked our wedding without having seen it, but most reviews were positive. We made wedding arrangements, everyone was very helfpful and very nice to work with. They understood that we were looking to have something very simple. We had never seen the place nor did we have much communication with them because everything was pretty much taking care of in a couple of phone calls. They did contact me more frequently as the date approached. We flew into Aguadilla, which is a short ride to the resort. When we got there, everyone was so nice to us, we had flowers and fruit platter waiting in our room. On our wedding night, they scattered rose petals and left us champagne. The resort is beautiful, well-kept and very private. The food in the restaurants are very good. We had a dinner party at "O" the night before the wedding. It was a lot of fun. Our wedding day was quite relaxing, I had hair, makeup, and manicure/pedicure, done in my room (which I sent pictures ahead of time and had them with me of what I liked). It came out great. The wedding was in the late afternoon. Perfect weather! The staff had everything under control, it was casual, everything happened without a hitch. It was absolutely perfect, just what we wanted. The staff and reverend were very accomodating, the ceremony was beautiful, just how I had imagined. It is right on the beach with the ocean as your backdrop, which makes for amazing pictures. We had a cocktail hour then dinner right at the Eclipse restaurant. Food was excellent as well as the service. Lizbeth was our main coordinator. She was amazing, as well as the help of Mildred, Diana, and Jessica (the flowers were beautiful, she picked them out for me, when I told her what color palette I liked). We took a couple of days to relax at the resort. It is perfect for a wedding, family get together, or just a couple's getaway. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Dbob
Reviewed 16 April 2008

My husband and I have been to Villa Montana numerous times - first for work (I shot a fabulous wedding there in April 2007) and then for our own wedding this past January and a few times in between.

We have traveled around the world visiting more than 20 countries on nearly every continent and these are by far the most friendly and welcoming people we have met.

From the second we stepped foot onto the Villa Montana property we new that we had found a special place - a place we knew we would be revisiting for many many years to come. It is unlike other vacation destinations that are crowded and overpriced. Villa Montana is an extremely relaxing, low-key place to sit back and unwind. Once relaxed, adventure is right around the corner - we have enjoyed the horseback riding, snorkling, and surfing the area has to offer.

The food is absolutely amazing - that was one of our top reasons we selected Villa Montana for our wedding location. Chef Jeremy and his staff at the Eclipse Restaurant and the "O" do a wonderful job. The food is perfectly prepared and presented beautifully.

Everyone on the resort staff continues to treat us like we have been friends for years. When we returned to the resort a few months after our first visit we were greeted by name - we nearly fell over! This place is truly like no other.

We have stayed in a variety of rooms - from the ocean front villas to the hotel style rooms up by the cliffside - all are beautiful, well maintained and very relaxing.

The views, the food, and the people are first class. A special thanks go out to Angelica, Melany, Diana, and Jessica for making our wedding a day that our guests continue to talk about months later. I wish we could do it all over again!

We fell in love and will be back soon!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2008

A co-worker and I stayed at the Montana Villas from March 10-13 on a business trip. The resort was well kept and the beach was like a dream. It goes for miles and there is almost no one there. Can you say "picture-perfect". After being in busy Playa Del Carmen, Mexico on a family vacation just a month earlier, the quiet and relaxing atmosphere was very refreshing.

There seemed to be a lot one could do right at the resort, but not a lot for very small children. There is a nice playground though so if you have small children and don't want or need a childrens program, the resort may work for you. It seems like it would be better for kids more in the eight years and older range.

My only disappointment was the limited time we had at the resort. Breakfast on the beach was fantastic, but after that we had to leave and work all day and well into the evenings.

We will be coming back on business again in a few months and will be staying there again. Except this time I hope to stay an extra day or two for fun. And my wife has been planning to join me. I'll be working and she'll be relaxing on the beach.... :-)

I would recommend this resort for people who want a very relaxing vacation free from the hustle and bustle one gets in the big hotel/resort zones. Don't expect to see any vendors on the beach because there are none. You can go for a walk on the beach by yourself - as in not along with 500 or 5000 other people. You can relax on the comfy lounge chairs and not have people trying to sell you things every fifteen minutes. And you won't even have to worry about pushy sales people trying to sell you time-shares. They don't exist there.

Quiet, relaxing, nice.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2008

i stayed for a week last year and am surprised to read recent reviews. the resort staff were very attentive and cordial. the room i had in a villa was small but adequate, a very short walk to the beach where the oversize lounges had thick comfortable padding, some near large umbrellas. i found it very relaxing and quiet.
a car is a necessity for getting around to nearby towns for restuarants, etc. their onsite massage was worth it, the only negative were the mosquitoes at night.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2008

The good: nice setting, lovely beach and great swimming, snorkeling. Good food at Eclipse Restaurant.

The not-so-good: marginal service. We arrived 1/2 hour before check-in (after 7 hours of travel) and were told that we would have to wait 90 minutes before we could drop our bags in the cottage and change. Housekeeping showed up at 5pm every day despite our requests for them to come earlier in the day. The floors in our rooms were not clean. Though our lone dinner at Eclipse was very good, it took 2 hours for our entrees to arrive and 45 minutes for dessert. 3 hours in total is a bit much. The desk staff was less than insightful when asked about suggestions for things to do off-site.

Overall, this is a lovely spot but we couldn't help but feel as if it were a bit down at the heels. It felt slightly neglected and so did we.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank vischa
HeidiDenver, Public relations at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2008

We apologize that your experience was not as you expected. At times we can, as any hotel does, have staffing challenges and we do not want to rush cleaning a room as we expect it to be in perfect condition for the next guest.
Our meals in the restaurants are hand crafted and are not often “fast”, however waiting 2 hours for an entrée if that was not your pleasure is something we regret. At times many of our guests do want a very leisurely dinner.
We hope you come back again. We have so many repeat guests and work hard for everyone to have a fabulous experience that exceeds their expectations.

Jessica Tiphane

Reviewed 26 March 2008

The location and the feel of this resort is quiet and relaxed, it is gated and feels safe for families with young children. What I only realised during our stay is that each villa is individually owned, and if there is something that needs fixed in your villa, they need to call the owner to get permission first. This results in a very varied standard of villas - some are owned by local families who have everything, some by investors who keep the bare minimum ammenities. With a young family I had planned to cook some meals in, I ended up borrowing pans just to cook pasta !
The website gives you the ability to order food in advance to be in your villa when you arrive - a nice touch if it actually happened - we arrived 3pm on Saturday and nothing had arrived by 9am Sunday so I cancelled the order and did it myself.
Eclipse - the restaurant on the beach is great food but really really slow service. Service is better at lunchtime if you have young kids.
Overall we had a lovely time due to location and the ability for our younger kids to enjoy themselves in a safe location, with the right villa this could be even better but Villa montana needs to decide whether it is going to offer the services of a luxury resort or not - it is pretending to but it really cant live up to it right now.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
#1 of 7 in Rincon
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!