“If you like seclusion and boredom, then, why not?”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
San Juan
“If you like seclusion and boredom, then, why not?”
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Villa Montana Beach Resort is located in Isabela, roughly 1 1/2 hours west of San Juan. My boyfriend and I booked two nights through Hotwire. We thought the price was a very good deal. We arrived at Villa Montana at around 3pm. We were quite tired from the long trip. We were told check-in was not until 4pm. So we waited, and waited. We got to our room at around 4:30pm.

The room was great, although a little bit small. I loved the decor. The A/C barely worked. The bathroom was average. There was a locked door at the end of the hallway. We would hear noise coming from the other side of the door at night. We weren't quite happy about that. There is no internet in the rooms, so if you want internet you have to go to the lobby. The flat screen tv was the best thing in the room, and I don't think that's a good thing.

I've got to admit that the resort is beautiful and well kept. The pools were small, and quite ordinary. The children's pool by the restaurant was always crowded. You'd think the pools would have a little waterfall, or a waterslide, but no. Next time, I'm staying at the Hyatt.

The resort boasts 3 miles of private beach, and sure enough, this is what you'll be getting. Problem is, the beach is not enjoyable. It is full of rocks, and the tide can be quite dangerous. If like you constantly stepping on mossy rocks, while being pushed back and forth by big waves, then this is the resort for you. Puerto Rico has beautiful beaches, and this is not one of them. We ended up driving to a different beach 30 minutes away.

The rock climbing wall was out of order. The restaurant was expensive, and not worth it. There was nothing to do but swim in the pool, and watch tv. I've got a tv, and pool at home. The resort was pretty much dead after 8pm, and it's an hour drive to Aguadilla, the nearest big city.

The front desk personel were not very friendly. We had to wait like 20 minutes to ask for towels. They were talking on the phone and wouldn't even look at us. At least check-out was fast. I couldn't wait to get out of that place. Bottomline, if you want to get away of it all, and if you enjoy seclusion, this is the resort for you.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FleetingDasein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 April 2009

While Villa Montana is in a beautiful, somewhat isolated location, the service was underwhelming. A lot of smiles, but exceedingly slow responses to simple requests for extra pillows and beach towels. At check in, staff did very little to make us feel that we were welcome. We tried to check in early and were told the room would be ready in 30 minutes. That was fine, but the wait was over an hour an a half. We would have been OK if they just told us up front to come back in two hours. We called the front desk a few times but it took at least three calls to get someone to answer. We are frequent travelers and usually don't complain about service, but at $300 per night, I expected better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank TJTT
New York City
Reviewed 4 April 2009

The grounds and location on the oceanfront are beautiful but looks can be deceiving. The pool area smells of the sewer fumes from a drain nearby. The trash overflows from the can in the public restroom. Both breakfast and dinner with the restaurant were terrible. The worst $100 I ever had to spend on food. The wait stiff disappears for minutes on end. The quality of the food was poor, complete with "grissle" to chew in my NY Strip and dirty coffee mugs and creamers. We had a room that looked charming on the surface, but the toilet only worked sporadically and the bathroom a bit run down. We only stayed one night on our way to another location , and we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CoquiNYC
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We spent three nights in Villa Montana (3/24/09 - 3/27/09), in a two-bedroom / two-bath condo. The resort is apparently composed of privately-owned units, some of which are rented out, so while I didn't see any other rooms, my guess is that they're all different. Ours was clean, but could have used some updating (furniture, bathrooms, paint, etc.), as well as higher wattage and "more cheerful" lighting. Also, we had visions of BBQ'ing one night, but the owners had locked down the grill. Beyond the room, the beach area is pretty, but it's on the Atlantic side, so definitely not Caribbean calm. The restaurant had a beautiful view and the food was good, but it was quite expensive and the service incredibly slow. If you do go to dinner after dark, take a flashlight to read the menu! If you have thoughts of venturing outside the resort for dinner, there didn't seem to be much in the way of nearby restaurants...in fact, there wasn't much in the way of nearby anything. The resort is quite isolated. If that's your cup of tea, perfect (although I'd still recommend a stop by a grocery store on your way.). But if you want to get out and about and take in local attractions, expect to drive. All in all, we had a nice stay, but definitely not a 5 star place by a long shot.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lindo07
Woodside, CA
Reviewed 25 March 2009

The restaurand/bar was amazing, with table views of the ocean just yards away. You can watch the sun set while you eat. The compound was very nice. It was an amazing resort. There are several surfing beaches nearby, and you can even surf right in front of the resort. There aren't many restaurants and bars nearby, so if you're looking for lots of nighlife and people to meet, this may not be the best place. I'd recommend this for couples or families. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PatAndMax
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2009

My wedding at Villa Montana Beach Resort in March 2008 was absultely beautiful. The
ladies there planned and prepared everything I wanted perfectly. My cake came out
exactly the way it was in the picture and the taste was amazing. My flowers were very
bright and and beautiful(orange and bright reds roses and calla lillys with touches of
greens in between). I had about 40 guests and everyone complimented the decor,food
and atmosphere. I would have liked the D.J. to motivate the crowd a little more and
would have liked to have more lighting illuminate the dance floor, but overall my wedding was something I will never forget and was truely a dream beyond all dreams.
I hope to visit this coming June to recapture all the wonderful memories I have of my wedding. Thank you to all the staff who work hard in making this a wonderful day for
me and my husband and sorry it took so long for me to get this review on tripadvisor

• Stayed March 2008
chicago
Reviewed 22 December 2008

We were looking for a place to stay on west side of island, pictures of hotel made us decide to get married on our vacation.
Villa Montana staff was wonderful in planning simple small inexpensive wedding. We had a dream come true wedding on the beach at sunset. The restaurant provided a wonderful dinner for the small wedding party that could not be topped. The hotel staff even cleaned up our room and prepared it for the wedding night with flower petals on the bed and candles all aound. Totally romantic and beautiful. We topped off our honeymoon with romantic horseback riding on the beach and snorkling in the blue hole (equipment provided by hotel). Fabulous!!! Fabulous!!!
Great Staff!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!