“wedding in paradise”

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2006

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 May 2006

Attended a wedding there. Beautiful surroundings and perfect sunsets every day. I thought, what a way to showcase this place to wedding guests who may make it their own destination in the future. However, service remains to be desired. I stayed at one of the cliffside hotel rooms. At check-in, I asked for a second key to my room. As we were being shown to our rooms, the staff member told me the wrong key was given. Turns out my 2 other friends also were given the wrong second keys. Don't know if it is the front-desk staff or their organization system. Later the first night, the toilet was backed up. Housekeeping came to clean up the mess, but they didn't change the rug placed in front of the commode. It wasn't smelly or anything, just that any one looking at it could tell it was soiled. Next day when we came back from the beach to get ready for the wedding early afternoon, the room was not made. We had to call housekeeping so we could have some fresh towels for the shower. The maid came and said she would come back later to clean the room. What an unpleasant surprise to come back from the wedding to see the room in the same condition we left it. The maid never came. We complained to housekeeping and since we were heading back out again, we asked if they could come even though it was a bit late. Front desk said no problem. Guess what, we came back 2 hours later and still no housekeeping. We gave up. The night before checkout, our party decided to look up our portfolios. My friend saw charges on her bill that was incurred before she even checked in. She got it reversed, but still. My bill was correct so I didn't think much of it. I balked when I got my credit card statement and saw a charge posted on the day after I had checked out. I don't know what is wrong with this place. I had traveled to many places and never had these problems. It's a shame because it is beautiful there. By the way, there is no hotel information in the rooms. You have to ask the front desk about everything. Even the voice messaging system doesn't work. If you follow what's printed on the phone you get a busy signal. My friend got a flashing light but couldn't get to the message. He asked the lady at the front desk and was told to dial a completely different extension and passcode. Some things they do at this place just make you scratch your head.

5  Thank lulusays
Reviewed 16 May 2006

Villa Montana in theory is a lovely place, but it is marred by disorganization, surliness and incompetence. The good: the restaurant is beautiful and quite yummy. A stellar view and locale! The bad: A few pretty gnarly things that marred what could otherwise have been a pretty good stay.
The receptionist checking us in was very surly--clearly in a bad mood and angry at the world. We were on tiptoes hoping we wouldn't "---- her off." She also either misunderstood the concept of a pre-paid hotel via Expedia or was deliberately trying to rip us off by charging us twice. She asked for proof of purchase--copies of our "voucher." This is NOT how the Expedia system works...you simply pay online and show up at the hotel--you don't need copies or a voucher. Also--don't you just love feeling like staff feel like they're "doing you a favor"? It's not a good feeling to spend several hundred dollars feel you're "putting someone out." This shows that the hotel does not have its act together and is not focused on service. The rooms are also organized by a bizarre, nonsensical numbering system. The hotel keys don't match up to the actual numbers of the rooms. Why? Who knows. They also volunteered to have a valet "take us to our room" when we didn't want it at all...(The room was very closeby and it was obvious where we needed to go). We had to wait 10 minutes for a seemingly non-value add "valet" experience and feel awkwardly obligated to award a tip.
We also got royally screwed on the bill. We pre-paid for a stay in March via Expedia--but then had a "mystery" charge show up on our AMEX in May for 290 some dollars. This is either utter billing incompetence or a fraudulent attempt to get more money out of us. We are pursuing action to avoid being taken advantage of. This incident reverses any "niceness" of the stay itself and makes me wish I had paid the extra dough to stay somewhere else.
Oh yeah, and totally rule out the fitness center as being of any worth.
Lastly, the property is not worth the money paid. It was cute enough and the restaurant was nice enough that I was willing to overlook that and say "hey, at least we're in a cool, authentic part of PR" but the billing issues put me on the side of judging it as a waste.
To all considering going there -- go if you don't place a value on service and just want to check out that part of the island. However, I do hope you don't experience issues!

12  Thank restlesstraveler
Management response:Responded 7 June 2006

My name is Alain Tiphaine, I am the owner of the property.

As we strive to make sure that our customers are satisfied with our services I am sorry to hear that this person did not enjoy their stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to comment on some of the points which where brought forward in the posting.

At check-in, the customer appears to become upset when it was requested that customer provide the vouchers or proof from Expedia. In order for the Hotel to collect from Expedia we need to collect from the customer a copy of the confirmation which Expedia provides. We in turn make a copy and use it to collect our fee from Expedia. Its a shame that because of this, the customer felt as if we where "putting someone out".

Comment is also made at the numbers which the keys have. In Hotels like ours who have a hard key system, for security reasons, the keys are never numbered with the actual room number. This way if the key is lost, the person who found it will not know to which room it belonged.

The service which we offer to escort our guests to the villas is a courtesy. If the customer does not want to tip its their perogative. Regarding the addtional billing, this sometimes happens with afterdeparture charges. If the charge is not correct, the hotel is contacted by the guest and the appropriate action is taken. this is a simple issue which unfortunately happens in all hotels.

Our fitness center is composed of 12 machines which provide our customers with a whole body workout, and we also provide satelite music so the customer can dial in the music they wish to hear while working out. Its a simple and straight forward set up.. Our fitness center is an amenity to the resort It is not meant or intented to replace the gym which people might use back home.

Hotels are not perfect, and mistakes are sometimes made. We try to do our outmost to correct our mistakes and insure that our customers are satisfied with our services.

I hope this helps to clarify the points which where brought up in the review. If should any person need any further clarification, I can always be contacted via my email address and I will be more than glad to answer any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Alain Tiphaine

Bend, or
Reviewed 5 May 2006

We really liked this place, its great and out of the way. Surf in the area is nice and the staff is great. The one big problem was there was a wedding there for three days. Two of those days they wanted to serve us food in the little confrence room away from the beach and next to the gym. The highlight is the restaurant and bar, when thats closed you loose a lot. When its the last day of your wedding anniversary holiday and you can't go to the restaurant on the beach or any other, its not so great. Place is great staff is nice but management seems off. Cheers

• Stayed: March 2006

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2006

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank pjlev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
#2 of 7 in Rincon
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!