“Best place in western Puerto Rico”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
New York
“Best place in western Puerto Rico”
Reviewed 12 February 2007

We found Villa Montana trough tripadvisor and went to stay for three days. We were not dissapointed when looking around Puerto Rico for potentially better places to stay.

Firt of all - the west coast is not littered with huge hotel resorts. These places are smaller. Here it is not so touristy - but you will find nice beaches. Very popular amongst surfers.

I went with my girlfriend and we wanted to stay at a small boutique hotel if possible, lots of charm and non of that 1000 rooms american resort dream feeling. We found Villa Montana to be above average to in certain respects great.

Rooms - nice but in no way impressive. But we did not spend much time here.

Beach - great lounge chairs and good service in the bar. Not cheap not expensive. Try their fruit drinks made from fresh fruit - awsome. Will set you back $7.5. We really enjoyed hanging out here though the waves made it hard to swim at the beach, there was a pool for that. A plus was the surfers just outside and the snorkling just off the beach a 100m from the hotel.

Resturants - a full dinner with two including wine will set you back $100 but it was a decent meal and great setting if we compared to other options. The new "O" resturant was acutally very nice and food good, though not great with our new york standards. You must try the chocolate tempura, to die for. Also the short ribs were amazing. Do not try their sushi...

The resort lacks the hugh waterfalls etc but is tidy and nice and the area at the beach is really great. The back of the resort and the rooms are average but who cares?!

The crowd were mixed between couples in their 50ies and young couple with a newborn and a father who came for the surfing - funny we saw at least five of these!

We also looked around at Rincon beach club which made us feel sick and Horned Dorset which was nice but never ever worth $1000/night.

Can really recommend this place. But check your bill on check out, we had a number of bills from resurants booked twice, making our total for three days including room and all food come down from $1100 to $880 after double-checking!

• Liked — The beach area and the resturants, how small it was and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — The Costa Rica urban areas around it...
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sampras

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 19 January 2007

We were in PR for a wedding, which was held @ the Villa Montana. We actually arrived early, and spent some time in other parts of the island before going to Isabella for the wedding, so we do have something to compare this to. (See our review of the HoJos in Mayaguez, and the CopaMarina Beach Resort).
The Villa Montana is OK as far as it goes, but I wouldn't compare it favorably to other resorts in its price range, in PR or elsewhere.

The specific problems we had were:

Front Desk/reservations: Not the most on the ball people on earth. When people ask for a room with two beds, they say "there are no rooms with two beds" even though plenty of the villas have multiple rooms. That's an example of the sort of mentality you run into at this place: They will answer the question, and do what is asked, but they don't take any initiative to make you really enjoy your stay, which is what you would expect in this price range.

Phone service: Room to room worked spottily, there is no cell coverage, so you have to rely on the (one per villa) land line, which went down several times.

Water Pressure: Watch out when someone flushes the toilet while you are taking a shower: HOT HOT HOT.

Internet: The Internet in our villa never worked, since it was dependent on a wireless access point in another villa, which I would gather was not plugged into the Internet at all. I was able to get it working in another wedding guest's room, by plugging it in.

Television: We never had working TV service in the 3 days we were there.

The hotel has no competent technical staff to fix any of these items, and the guys they rely on seem to work one day a week
Restaurant: Expensive, slow service.

Activities: None on-site that I could see. There are tennis courts, but it is pretty much self-serve. All the activities they recommend are run by expensive, off-resort, local businesses.

Pool/Ocean: The pool is small, the ocean unsuitable for small children. I'm a certified rescue diver, and a surfer, and I didn't swim there due to the waves and currents. The waves were the worst part: blown out mush that makes it bad for anything except kiteboarding. One of the other guests, who surfs Stinson Beach SF with some regularity, cut his foot up pretty badly while trying to swim there.

The villa itself was nice and spacious, the kitchen well appointed, and the beds comfortable. Think of this place as more of a gated vacation rental condo place than a hotel or resort. For that, it's par for the course.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank Zwithapggb
NJ
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We loved the incredible tropical landscaped setting on beautiful beach. The atmosphere was peaceful and relaxed. We enjoyed the oceanfront restaurant, the tennis courts and the pool. BUT the ocean view unit we stayed in was run down, furniture was worn out, stove was dangerous to use and there was no hot water in bathroom sink. On first day on their beach one of the towels they provided disappeared from the beach chair and we were treated like criminals by the towel girl when we could not account for it. We were charged $60 for the towel and complaints to the Manager about this charge have gone unanswered. Given the poor condition of the unit, how we were treated and the $400/day cost we would not recommend it. We plan on returning to the area next year and are already looking for a different place to stay.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Poor condition of unit and customer service
  • Stayed December 2006
3 Thank Meguelito
New York
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I stayed at the Villa Montana for four days to attend a wedding. The property is at the eastern end of the island in a spot where there does not appear to be many other hotels. As such, the beach is beautiful. I often found myself walking on the beach completely alone. They also offer other services, such as tennis, which were adequate (a near by horse riding facility). However, the service and other amenities at the hotel were lacking. Although the food was good, every meal took between 2-3 hours to be completed (even without other guests in the restaurant!). A drink could take a 1/2 hour. The water pressure was low and the hot water bordering on luke warm. Old, noisy air conditioners; pitted bathroom decor; overloaded check-in desk, unable to deal with normal requests. A non-existent towel desk. Room service that doesn't come until 5:30 pm and must leave by 6:00 pm. Balcony doors that won't open. Etc. I can say that the execution of the wedding ceremony and reception (from the guest's perspective) was very good and the food excellent. Perhaps they were working so hard on the wedding details that they couldn't tend to anything else -- but then they should hire more staff.

• Disliked — The service
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the empanada place on Route 4466
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank KarlaG.
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 December 2006

I went to Villa Montana in 2003 and silently said to myself this is the place I want to get married. Three years later, I'm engaged and looking at destinations. My husband to be sent me a link of Villa Montana and I fell off my chair! This was the place I went to!!
We flew to Villa Montana in May 2006 and met with Diana Perez, the wedding planner and Jeremie Cruz, the star chef. The food and wine tasing was just delicious and fun! We got married on October 21, 2006. We had arrived on October 19th with our guests at around 11pm. The resort was staffed and ready to accomodate us.
My guests loved their villas. Most of them cannot stop talking about the beauty of this place and will return! We had our rehearsal dinner at O, the asian fusion lounge. The food and surroundings were fabulous! We sat on pillows and shared the delicious food. Chef Jeremie and the wait staff were extremely friendly and accomodating.
Our wedding was magical. The path was lined with roses and the gazebo was just breathtaking with the view of the beach behind us. During our ceremony, a rainbow came out!! Throughout the whole day, Diana was there, checking on us, making sure we had something to drink or eat. Our reception was beautful and alot of fun. Our guests did not want to leave, so we had an after party at one of the pools! Overall, we would like to thank Diana Perez, Lisbeth,Chef Jeremie Cruz,Shakira, Josvany, and the entire staff at Villa Montana for a truly memorable wedding! We will be back!!

• Liked — The decor, the colors of the room and the staff.
  • Disliked — That we had to leave
  • Stayed October 2006
2 Thank edjob210
Maryland
Reviewed 2 December 2006

My wife and I just had our small wedding (25 people) at Villa Montana on November 12th. We are very happy and this resort will be part of our memory forever. The planning of the wedding started at the beginning of the year. We found the resort based on a Puerto Rico friend’s recommendation and also internet reviews. We booked the date sight unseen and we had been working with Diana, our wedding coordinator since the beginning. Diana and her staff are always warm and friendly and they guided us through the maze of destination wedding planning with ease. She was always very thoughtful and accommodating, almost helping us to make best decision that is within our convenience and budget constraints.

Finally we arrived at the resort three days before the wedding. After some navigation difficulties we arrived at the resort (the sign that comes off Rt. 4466 could be hard to find, so pay attention if you are driving.) The first impression we got was how peaceful, tranquil and homely the resort feels. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The staff is very thoughtful and they have a vase of roses, a fruit plate and a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we got to our room. We were feeling pampered already at that moment. Lizbeth (who works with Diana) gave us a tour of the resort and we felt at home already. We had the private gazebo dinner that night and we were delighted with the food and service. Chef Jeremy is excellent with his craft. We come from DC and had tried our shares of fancy and trendy restaurants there, and the food from Eclipse’s kitchen is comparable to any fancy restaurants in a major city.

The next day we enjoyed the spa services at the resort and we highly recommend the services of Alfredo. The setting of the spa is a small hut within the gardens and it is one of the most relaxed settings we had experienced. Most of our guests also used the spa’s service and they are all praises.

We had our rehearsal dinner at the new “O” restaurant on Saturday night. Originally I just want to plan a simple dinner for our guests but the meal turned out to be one of the highlights of the wedding. The décor of the restaurant pays tribute to a lot of the Asian theme and every one of the guests was impressed. Chef Jeremy again came through and did not disappoint us. All I could say was that the food and service was top notch. And the food only left us wanting more.

Finally is the wedding on Sunday. Like any other wedding, things don’t usually go as planned and we always seem to run out of time. Luckily, Diana was there to supervise and kept everything under control. Ultimately, the wedding was very smooth, the weather cooperated (it was gorgeous) and the whole process was just magical. Everything came together as planned. We had the reception in Eclipse and the decoration was wonderful. We discussed the flower arrangement with Jessica (manager) over the phone and the flowers were more beautiful than we had anticipated. The food (again) was magnificent. The kitchen staff paid attention to details and each slice of the cake was put a beautiful plate with chocolate accent added. The wedding concluded with people dancing (even some other diners in the restaurant) and everyone just having a good time.

Regarding activities: tennis, relaxing in the pool, taking a nap at the lounges of the Eclipse, or sipping a cocktail on the beach chair or hammock, and walking on the beach is what is best about the resort. I do concur with other reviewers that the beach is rocky and not suitable for swimming (yet I see others swim/surf/snorkel.) I would recommend that guests be accessible to a car so they can visit other areas in the island. One activity that I would definitely recommend is the horseback riding from Tropical Trails and Ride. We did a ride through the woods and beach and it seemed like we rode to the edge of the world (probably the end of the beach) and came back. For two hours of riding at $40 each person, it is definitely worth it. My recommendation on nearby restaurant in case you want to try food other than Eclipse’s (not sure if that is possible) is the Ocean Front Hotel and Restaurant down 4466. Happy Belly gets a lot of recommendation from the locals but we found that Ocean Front has better food and service.

I want to extend my thanks to the whole staff in Villa Montana here. Jessica was very gracious and upgraded my parents’ villa. It was unexpected and we really appreciated the gesture. Whenever we run into Jessica at the resort, she is always friendly and inquire about our satisfaction at the resort and check to see what can be improved. Diana, Jeremy, Lizbeth and the rest of staff were always wonderful, warm, and friendly. We don’t think we can ask for more in our wedding.

I hope this review is useful for others. For us, Villa Montana was everything we expected and more. Everyone who attended our wedding also enjoyed their stay tremendously. We hope to return there soon.

• Liked — Individuality.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a car and pay attention to the road sign as GPS and cell phone doesn't cover at the resort location.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MCLee
Boston
Reviewed 23 October 2006

This resort is nothing like the web page, I was a little worried when my wife booked a trip for the kids and us and didn't do a little more searching around. If you look at their really poor web page that some kid did during his lunch break...there are no large pictures for you to get detail of the motel? The first page doesn't even show a clear picture, mostly likely because it would saw trashed on the beach.

Second there are not 21 different activates to do. My kids were bored during most of the trip and there was not other large family there. I don't know where they came up with that, and if maybe the GM or another manager can list them the front desk sure couldn't. Nothing is worst when your talking with someone and then they speak another language to there co worker, this happen many times and I always had a feeling that they were talking do to may family and me.

My main problem was the resort and rooms where dirty, the pools were filled with bugs my daughter wouldn't go swim during our 5-day trip. They the ocean is not swimable, its not that the waves are rough, its because there are large rocks throughout the whole beach area. The beach also had a lot of trashed and bottles. Oh and you better bring towels with you if you visit this motel (resort usually has live entertainment and a hot tub) You can find any towels near the pool or beach, they you go to the front desk and you get more [--] from them and of course they continued to speak another language. The rooms are not rugged anywhere, the floor was all dirty, there were bugs thought out both rooms. There wasn't even a desk for me to do some work and the couch was ripped in a few area's. We called a head of time to get a roll away bed, but when we got there they were all be used...come to find out later there are only 2 rollaway beds for 50 rooms. They called their rooms a suite but it was just a large motel room.

Finely the check out, they never did come to my room and help with the bags...check out took more them 45 minutes, they called us a taxi that didn't take credit cards, and wouldn't cash my the travel checks??? So I just left, didn't want to waste my time fighting with them because I had a plan to catch. So we drove off to the airport where I just thought there would be a ATM, however the taxi driver didn't say anything about there being no ATM till after were got to the Airport. So I had to leave my wife and kids at the airport as I drive to find an ATM. In this time the taxi driver said that he knew there wasn't an ATM there??? Well I thought I wonder if the Front Desk knew that. So I called them acting like I was still at the Resort and checking out soon. What was great is the front desk agent that I dealt with answered the phone. So she when on to tell me that no there is not ATM at the airport...that’s when I couldn't take it anymore....I was so upset that the front desk didn't even care to tell me this important information. They didn't care to deal with it, they just wanted me out of their hair when I wasn't even that rude to them.

So my final thoughts are never go to this resort, after thinking about my trip...even if the fix every problem quickly I still won't of been happy with my over all experience.

• Liked — The price at first,,,but I'm never going back to a cheap place again
  • Disliked — Read my review...but mainly the room and pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't ever visit this area
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
14 Thank BostonFamily2024
GM-VillaMontana, General Manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 December 2006
Response from Villa Montaña Beach Resort's General Manager

My associates and I are devoted to making our guests feel at home as one can see from the many reviews of Villa Montana.

We, of course, do recall your departure from the resort. It clearly was not a satisfying experience for any of us.

We are, as you can imagine, devastated when any of our guests have not had the very best experience that we can offer them.

We only wish that we had known of your unhappiness before you checked out so that we might have had an opportunity to assist you better.

It was not until, as you recall, you were checking out that we heard you that you had had an unhappy stay. I note that you started out staying with us in a large 2 Bedroom Ocean View Villa (which our Assistant General Manger was kind enough to give you as an upgrade as it was available), enjoyed room service over in that villa from August 13 to August 17, then, for some reason decided that you needed to move to a small one bedroom villa, where you stayed until August 21.

At check out, as I recall, you had no credit card or cash with which to settle the bill. I was unable to accept a check and that point, I also recall you said that you would write a bad review about us in Tripadvisor. And you certainly did.

We are devastated when a guest does not find pleasure in our resort - in the staff service, the fine art, the landscaping, the friendly atmosphere - and the 21 activities to do here - which are all detailed on our website, which, I should point out has over 500 image of the resort so that all potential guests can get an exact idea of the what the resort actually does look like.

Thanks kindly for your comments. We have reviewed them with the resort's team so that we may all learn from your comments.

Yours respectfully,
Jessica Tiphaine, General Manager and Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!