“Nice Resort With a Few Kinks to Work Out”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed 5 June 2007

I stayed at the Villa Montana with my family for a friend's wedding. Our check in was smooth but the villa was substandard, the tiles were cracked and chipped and the couch smelled. i immediately complianed and received the run around from the front desk. the bride for the wedding contacted her coordinator lizbeth, and after a few hours had us in another villa which was not quite what i expected, but nice overall.
the grounds are beautiful with lots of wildlife(huge frogs, iguanas, even bats) but also a ton of bugs so be sure to bring spray with you. the beach right in front of the hotel is picturesque but not suitable for swimming (but great for surfing). to swim and snorkel i'd suggest getting some snorkeling equipment from the front desk and walking to the left of the resort on the beach. you'll reach an area called the blue hole where the water is protected by coral reefs so its not only calm with lots of fish but you can walk out about 300 feet and the water reaches your waist.
the eclipse (the resturant at the resort) was terrible. the food was overpriced and out of the few meals i had there, not one meal was prepared to my liking. to make matters worse, the service was incredibly slow. even taking into consideration you're in the caribbean, there was no justification for the horrific service. we spent a totoal of 10 days in puerto rico and this was the only establishment we visited were a meal was a 2 1/2 hour ordeal. we ended up eating most of our meals outside the resort (there are a number of resturants on route 110).
The wedding itself was wonderful and curiously the food that was terrible at the resturant tasted great at the wedding. the resort did a fantastic with my friend's wedding and i would highly recommend them for an event providing they work out the issues they have.
overall the resort is beautiful and the staff tries really hard to please (raul the porter went above and beyond to assist us throughout our entire stay). if you're looking for a place to stay outside of the tourist areas and looking to do relax on the beach in a remote picturesque setting this resort is for you.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Lvega718

Reviewed 5 June 2007

This was an incredibly romantic and secluded experience! The beach was beautiful, the staff was excellent, and the villas very romantic. I have one word of caution. I had a massage, (I've had them done before by women only), and I would caution you that it was done by a man, and there was no modesty involved. I don't consider myself to be a prude, but it was a very uncomfortable experience. It was done in daylight, and at times I was concerned that I was exposed. I was more tense after the massage than before. I left my bathing suit top on because I was a little uncomfortable that it was a man, and he proceded to remove my top while I was lying on my stomach. If you have any modesty, I would not recommend the massage. Other than that, It was a beautiful, relaxing vacation. I would definitely go back here again!!

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed 27 May 2007

I had a wonderful stay at the Villa Montana in April. Not only did I get married there but my new husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon as well. We absolutely loved our entire stay there. We felt extremely lucky to have had our wedding ceremony at such a beautiful and romantic location and feel tremendously grateful to the exceptional staff there who gave us the wedding of our dreams. I could go on forever about how special and terrific the wedding was (in fact our wedding photographer from the states liked it so much she is planning her own destination wedding at the Villa Montana!), however since this is a hotel and resort review, I focus my comments on those aspects.

First off, I would like to say that the Villa Montana is truly a special, unique resort with heart and soul. The staff at the resort are warm, caring and unpretentious and the overall ambience of the resort is about making sure you relax and enjoy your stay. Not only are the grounds gorgeous, but they invite you to enjoy them with hammocks and comfy cushioned lounge chairs scattered throughout the complex. There is a peaceful, garden oasis in the center of the complex where guests can get massages/spa services, a tennis court, 2 pools (one that is open 24hrs and the other which is next to the bar), 2 fantastic restaurants--each with its own personality-- and of course a stunning beach. If you want to kick-back and relax in a tropical paradise drinking pina coladas on the beach, this is the resort for you.

We chose this resort based on the numerous Trip Advisor reviews we read. While we can understand some of the complaints brought up in previous reviews for us, a lot of these issues/complaints were minor and did not detract from our stay at all. Furthermore, our impression is that the resort is concerned about those same issues and working hard to make improvements. We visited the Villa Montana in October 2006 and in the 7 months since our last visit, we have already seen improvements—sheets, blankets and towels have been upgraded, there is now wireless internet access in rooms, “O” restaurant is up and running, Diana (the former events and sales coordinator) has been promoted to manage both restaurants to improve service because of her outstanding success running events at the VM, and service has gotten better and faster. Since this will be a rather long review, I have broken down the rest of the review into topics to make it easier for readers to browse through.

Service: The service at the VM is friendly and enthusiastic. While some people may perceive the service as slow, we feel that it is just more in keeping with the “sit-back, relax and enjoy” attitude of the Carribean in general. Rather than staff constantly interrupting you to check on you, the attitude here is let people enjoy their food and surroundings but be available when needed. We definitely didn’t mind soaking up the sun and watching the beautiful waves while waiting a few extra minutes for tasty food. And in fact, we were very impressed with how genuinely dedicated all staff were in trying to make each guests stay comfortable. To give a couple examples (I actually have many more)…during our reception dinner, since our wedding party was occupying half of the restaurant, our wedding coordinator and the restaurant manager waited tables themselves to make sure things ran smoothly for everyone. Another night, there was a torrential rainstorm (which was a fluke) with rain blowing into the open-air “Eclipse” restaurant horizontally. Staff ran around completely drenched to make sure guests were dry and comfortable and that food was still delivered hot. I believe that given the circumstances, most restaurants would have suspended service and I was impressed with the way the VM/ Eclipse displayed grace under fire. The most important thing to know about the service here is that rather than expecting to be treated like a king/queen, expect to be treated like a friend.

Rooms: Clean, tastefully decorated and fun. We stayed in a “Garden-view” (although in reality, we had a partial ocean view) 3-bdrm villa (unit A8) that was about 50 yards from the beach. We loved it. In fact, we were only supposed to stay in it for the wedding weekend, however we loved it so much that we upgraded to stay in it an additional 5 days. The kitchen and living room are sunny and airy with high vaulted wood ceilings. There were 2 bathrooms with distinctive hand-painted tiles and the master-bathroom had a sunny outdoor garden-shower. Amenities include A/C, ceiling fans, CD player, telephone, 2 TVs w/ DVD player, wireless internet access, dishwasher and laundry machine w/ dryer. Décor is Balinese style dark mahogany furniture and tropical floral print fabrics that look like it belongs in a Pottery Barn catalog. However, each unit is different with its own personal touches. Housekeeping would come daily (although sometimes later in the day) and even washed dishes! We also stayed in a cliff-side hotel room for a few nights which actually had an ocean-view and a well-manicured backyard. There was a 4-poster king bed and hand-painted tile bathroom again. FYI: Garden villas are larger than Ocean villas and cliffside hotel rooms are larger than garden view rooms. However Ocean villas then garden villas/rooms are closer to the beach. Cliffside rooms are about a 5-7 minute walk from beach.

Food: Tasty, fresh and innovative. There are 2 restaurants at the VM: “Eclipse” and “O”. Chef Jeremie Cruz (who used to be at the El Conquistador) oversees both. Eclipse is the main restaurant open 7 days a week 3 meals a day. It is a stylish, open-air (i.e. wall-less) beachside restaurant with gorgeous views of the water. Food is delicious and seasonal--French/American with a Carribean flare. Favorites: Eggs Benedict for breakfast, black bean shrimp quesadilla for lunch and pan roasted corvina (tasted like Chilean sea bass) with beurre de blanc sauce over pureed yucca/taro root for dinner. Favorite drinks: pina coladas and passion fruit daiquiri. “O” restaurant is an Asian-fusion tapas restaurant/lounge/club open for dinner on weekends. The décor is romantic and chic. You enter through an antique, wood sculpted door imported from Bali. The restaurant has 3 eating areas. The first has red curtain day beds perfect for couples who want a romantic, private dinner (definitely make reservations in advance). The main dining room has dark hardwood floors and Japanese style sunken dining tables. The third room is an outdoor tatami room with Safari animal print décor. Favorites: lamb tangine and then chocolate tempura for dessert. We tried a couple of restaurants off the resort but loved the food at the VM so much that we ate most of our meals there. Prices were reasonable: Breakfast: $10-15, Lunch: $15-20, Dinner: $20-30—definitely worth every penny.

Facilities: well-appointed, with distinctive charm. There are tons of green grass, colorful flowers and swaying palm trees throughout the resort. The layout of the resort is multiple, well-spaced 2-3story villas/condos (not just one large concrete building like many beach resorts). Even hotel rooms are incorporated into the villas. Rather than posh (no valet parking or Jacuzzi tubs) the setting of the resort is stylishly comfortable with a fun and friendly ambience. What I love about the Villa Montana is that it has a distinctive personality and is not like your standard, chain hotel. In terms of activities, there is snorkelling, sea kayaking, tennis, and gym facilities (all for free). For extra fees-- rock climbing wall, horseback riding at a next door ranch (highly recommend), massages/spa services. The front desk can also help arrange tours, snorkelling/scuba trips. There is no casino here but with the addition of “O”, there is more of a night-life at the resort now. However, if you’re like me and enjoy peace and quiet, taking a private dip in their 24-hour pool was the perfect, romantic night for me.

Location: rustic but absolutely gorgeous. The Villa Montana is located in Isabela in the northwest corner of Puerto Rico—about a 2 hour drive from San Juan but only 10 minutes from the Aguadilla aiport. The area has historically been a sleepy surfing town and tourism hasn’t quite hit the area yet (which is actually something we loved about the place), but its an absolutely beautiful piece of land. I think this is one of the most important things to keep in mind in choosing your travel destination. This is a place to escape from it all and not a place to expect tons of museums/city life/casinos. The Villa Montana is the main attraction in the immediate vincinity (other than the beach and water activities of course) however other attractions nearby (about 30-45 min away) include Rio Camuy (underground river/caves) and the Arecibo radio tower (where Contact was filmed). There is also a public golf course about 10 minutes away. However if you want to get away from it all for a relaxing, romantic retreat, staying on the resort is perfect. If you do plan to leave the resort, a rental car is definitely recommended.

Beach: The beaches of the area are varied in terms of surf but all beautiful. The one right in front of the VM is idyllic—clean with tall palm trees, thick purple-cushioned lounge chairs, day-beds and bright yellow umbrellas. There are smooth flat rocks that lead into the water so water socks are a good idea. The surf can be a bit rough—remember this is surfing area—but definitely swimmable. If you surf or kite-board (or like me, just enjoy watching), this seems to be the place to be. However, around the corner is Shacks beach which is a bit calmer and easier for kids and snorkelling. There are also beautiful reefs to explore—we saw tons of coral, colorful fish, and even squid! However, there are also lots of sea urchins so be careful. We read in some reviews complaints about the beach being dirty and littered. Our experience was that the beach at VM and Shacks beach were very clean but when we took the horseback ride further down the beach (maybe a mile or 2 down?) where the beach is public and not owned by the VM, it is not as well maintained.

Pros: friendly, unpretentious, personalized service; beautiful setting; delicious food; clean, comfortable rooms with character.

Cons: a lot of what other people may consider cons, I actually loved about the resort but depending on what you’re looking for, you may find the following problematic: quiet night life, not located near city/museums/casino, web-site is hard to navigate; once you’re there, you won’t want to leave!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PolarBears
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We just came back from celebrating our wedding in Villa Montana on 5/19. Let me tell you that they did an exceptional and outstanding job. They catered to us and our guests need as best as humanly possible. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy. I recommend anyone who wants to marry in PR to go there. If you are looking for laid back and quiet this is your place. Alot of people dont seem to understand that the part of the island that Villa
Montana is located at is known for surfing, that is why the beach is rough, this is not Villa Montana's fault. Nature plays a hand in it entirely. Both restuarants are awesome Eclipse and O, I have read negative comments on them and let me start by saying that this is not
the United States Mainland where everything is done quick, even in New York we see negatives. Villa Montana runs on a limited staff and is working at its best to make sure that everyone has there orders. I personally believe that with time they will be above exceptional. Most people should stop comparing Villa Montana with bigger hotels, it is not it is a remote place to spend quiet time and relax. Our wedding was held on the beach and it was marvelous. Lizbeth the coordinator went above and beyond and she deserves praise and admiration, it is not an easy job dealing with brides aboard, I am one of them. I am extremely great ful to her and Shakira from Front Desk who showed us what a real employee- guest relationship is. We loved them both and can not wait to go back. The rooms were great. We had our moments, but it happens with any hotel even the most expensive bigger name kinds, and I can tell you a thing about those hotels, and in all honesty put Villa Montana at the very top of the best list. They have a beautiful beach, if it is too rocky for you to swim, take a walk and you will end up at the Blue Hole, a spectacular snorkeling spot just a few steps from V.M. we spent hours
there. V.M.'s pools are awesome our son loved it. Again I say Villa Montana and there staff, especially LIZBETH and SHAKIRA are awesome. And we cant wait to see them all again, I hope they dont mind me keeping in touch with them at Villa Montana, they are great workers as well as great friends. And we will miss them dearly now that we are back in NYC.

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed 27 April 2007

I have lived here in the beautiful resort now for about 9 months. Let me start off saying that this place is paradise. It is located on
the west coast of the island which is beautiful and perfect for relaxing under the sun. Not to mention it is located on Shacks Beach,
known as one of PR's most beautiful beaches, with awesome coral reefs, and beautiful fish.

The resort has two wonderful restaurants, each with completely different styles, each excellent in their own way. The employees are wonderful people and very kind people. The beach on which Villa Montana is located is very beautiful. One is able to walk as far as they can before they reach the end!

The west coast of Puerto Rico is completely different than any other place I've ever visited in my life. It is sooo relaxing. Back at home, I was always going every which way, but the lifestyle here has slowed my life down and is is great!

The last thing I want to talk about is the grounds. This part of the resort is awe inspiring. The beautiful landscape, the path's to get around, the restaurant, and everything else. I could go on and on about the beauty within Villa Montana Beach Resort. They have two pools, tennis courts, a spa, and of course the beach, the bestr part of PR.

This excellent resort is the perfect getaway for those looking to have a great time experiencing the west coast of Puerto Rico. I definetly recommend coming down here for a vacation. If you come in with the right attitude, this place will exceed all expectaions you have for it. It is truly a masterpiece hidden on the coast of tiny PR, come visit, its simply amazing.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2007

My husband and I recently returned from our second trip (in a 3 month time frame) at Villa Montana. Once again, we had an amazing experience at the resort. The resort is very remote and peaceful. We live in New York City, so remote and tranquil was exactly what we were looking for. The resort has beautiful grounds and beaches. The resort also has a friendly staff. At the same time, if you do get anxious and want a little night life, San Juan is a two hour car ride away. We did go to San Juan one night for dinner and gambling.

Although there is not a lot to do outside the resort, the resort does offer an array of activities to engage in. Horseback riding (morning and afternoon rides) scuba, bikes, tennis and two pools to swim in. It is nice to know there are things to do – although my husband and I were very content running on the beach in the morning – and then relaxing on the beach for the remainder of the day.

The staff is very nice and accommodating. However, I do agree with other reviews that requests are often met at a slow pace. We did order a menu from the front desk so we could order food from the restaurant to our room. It came two hours after our request. However, most of the staff are very friendly and did help us when we needed it.

There is one staff member in particular I need to mention – Diana Perez. Diana is one of the managers at Villa Montana and unbelievably professional, hospitable and helpful. We did have a few mix-ups during our stay. For example, one night we made a reservation (through another person at the front desk) for dinner at the Asian restaurant on the resort. When we got to the restaurant, the reservation could not be found. We were upset and explained the situation to Diana – she immediately took care of the problem, got us a table and made sure we were taken care of for the remainder of the evening. Diana helped us with a few other situations during our stay. She is extremely friendly and professional to all customers and can multi-task extremely well.

All in all, we had a great vacation. Villa Montana has a very comfortable, laid back feel to it. We will definitely be back again and we highly recommend it to others!!!!

Colleen and Shawn

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colsterNyc
Reviewed 16 April 2007

I purposely waited to write this review until I calmed down a bit so I could be fair. The resort is very beautiful, but it is very disappointing.

This will be a long review, so there is the Villa Montana 101 at the end for your benefit if you’re in a hurry. But please read the whole review when you have a chance.

I read all the reviews to this resort, but still had to stay there for an event we attended there. My conversations while making my arrangements went very well and Shakira and Janet helped me make changes before I went. While we were there the owners of the resort were there to.

So 1st you need to get there. You can either take a 2 hour drive from San Juan in a rental car(250/week), Fly to Aquedilla and land at 3 am in morning($100 more to fly here), or take a cab from San Juan and pay $150each way.

Once you decide that that directions the hotel gives are poorly written and only make since once you get there you'll be better off bringing your GPS or googlemapping it. Our friends who used the hotels info all got lost. The resort uses words like "look for" but doesn't say do this or that. They also say take 110, but not whether it's east or west. It's a stressful ride so if you do drive, try to land during the day so getting there is easier.

Once you arrive at the front desk all you can smell is flowers and all you see and green grass and palms trees. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are clean like Disneyland.

The rooms, or in our case the ocean view villa, was great at first look. But the floors are sandy and there is quite a bit of wear and tear. I have pics and will post ASAP. Our phone was messed up and always lit up there was a message. When we called they said there were no messages, cleared the line but then sent all calls to voicemail with no ring so we thought there were no messages once they said they fixed it but in actuality our friends were leaving messages and we thought because they cleared the lines the light must have been just broken. We were not the only people who had their phones forwarded. Again we were here for an event and needed to communicate with other guests.

The restaurant, wow this is a nice looking place. All candlelit, hanging white linen blowing in the breeze and super comfy chairs. But get comfortable, because you’re going to be sitting for a long long time and paying high end prices from delicious SOUNDING food. Being so isolated in the west of PR, Eclipse is the only place around. O was open but it is only open on Weekends. O is swanky and indoors. It has an open air area, but not ocean view like Eclipse.
There’s plenty to choose from, but each item is pretty basic tasting no matter what the description. Service is unbearable. Lunch is a two hour ordeal for a burger. Dinner is 2+ at a table. I think another chef would be helpful. From what I hear there's only one.

Ok, so you ate, sat at the bar for another drink, and went to sleep on an average mattress. You’re a little stiff, but you smell the breakfast and are drawn to the PRican coffee. Breakfast is the best meal here; it's quick since there's less items and less customers. But as your eating you glance at the beach chairs and realize there are only 30 of them out and they all have towels on them. Yup, you read it right, even here at the sit back and relax place...you have to deal with getting up early and saving a seat that you may or may not use!!! Who needs this drama on vacation?

What to do while your here: If you read the website, you’re supposed to be prepared to relax and do beach activities. Well, the resort has a couple of snorkels and masks, and 2 2 person kayaks. Yup, that's it. No boogie boards, no surfboards, no 1 person kayaks, no jet skis, no nothing. Seeing this I went to the front desk to get info on surfing and horseback riding. The resort made my reservation for the horse riding, but messed up my friend’s reservation. The front desk never called. As for surfing, since this area of PRICO is supposed to be renowned for it's surfing, they front desk gave me a brochure to call for a lesson. They surf place doesn't visit the report, you need to visit them. So, for beach activities, you are going to be very bored. You can go for a walk, but the 3 miles of beaches they brag about is littered with everything from glass to car parts, that is of course once you get away from the wild dogs all over the place.

The event we went here for was spectacular. I'm not sure how any of the other guests got anything, since the event took up most of the restaurant and bar, but if it was me as a guest not at the event I would have been making arrangements at another location because there is no way Villa Montana can handle a 100 person event and cater to the other guests.

A few more details for you. I saw 3 hammocks not plenty like the brochure, we had two ironing boards no iron, no rooms safes, ran out of milk at our meal, room cleaning came at 5pm, mixed up our rooms keys, they resort is very buggy bring plenty of bug spray, there is 1 masseuse, we scheduled a couples massage and canceled since one person has to wait for the other one, plenty of kids in pools and beach. Not that there is a problem with that, but they are bored and always looking for their parents to occupy them.

We were so thrilled to go to this event and had a great time at the event, but Villa Montana needs more help. The owners were responsive to some of my concerns, but if they don't step it up this beautiful resort will lose all clientele to a competitor, if one even comes along in that area.

Getting there: Either a 2 hour drive from San Juan in a rental car, Fly to Aquedilla and land at 3 am in morning, or take a cab from San Juan and pay $150each way.

Rooms: The villas are cute and spacious, but dirty. The other rooms are like any other hotel room you've seen.

Beach: Rocky, so you need to be careful getting into the water near the resort. You can move down, but there’s no service, restrooms, or chairs.

Service/Food: Deathly slow. Average quality for the price.

Stayed: April 2007
12  Thank medfordpoker
GM-VillaMontana, General manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2007

Thank you for all your valuable comments about your stay with us for a beach wedding.

First, if you choose to fly into Agaudilla, the main flight from Newark does in fact arrive at 10:30PM and, yes, other very inexpensive Jet Blue flights come in early in the morning. Like all things, there are tradeoffs in price and convenience.

We will certainly re-look at our directions. Thank you for the helpful comment.

Zaida, the head housekeeper, has the under bed areas cleaned after every stay. We'll look at what is not working with that schedule.

Yes, we do have flies. We try to keep our pesticide use on the natural side of things. There are too many fragile frogs and salamanders to hurt an then birds and parrots if we were to resort back to toxic pesticides. Sorry, that is just our view of how we need to live here where all we have is our environment.

You are quite right that, the beach front restaurant was taken over by your wedding. That is exactly why we built our second restaurant O.

Concerning beach lounges, usually 30 is 20 more than we need as everyone tends to spread out amongst the two pools and the beach. But we appreciate your thoughtful comment and will reconsider the need for more lounges.

Telephones and the Voice Message system: the software programming seems to have infrequent glitches. Our IT man is currently searching out a new solution.

Speed of food service? You are correct we are too slow on these very busy event weekends. We are certainly stretched. Chef Jeremie has four assistants and we have opened our second restaurant and kitchen to take off the evening pressure. Chef Jeremie continues to work on speed without sacrificing his devotion to fresh quality. We all work at this.

You seem to have experienced many things that gave you much pleasure. We look forward to making you happier on another occasion. I will tell Shakira and Janet that your appreciated their ability to accommodate your changes.

Jessica Tiphaine
GM, Villa Montana Beach Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
#2 of 7 in Rincon
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!