“Disappointing”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed 22 August 2007

Although the setting is lovely, the service is poor, and there are security issues to deal with. And be prepared for the electricity to go out periodically as well. Also the pools are very small, considering that this is labeled a resort. The restaurant was also below par, and since it's in an isolated part of the beach, it's difficult navigating out at night to another eatery unless you know your way around.
Pretty disappointing experience overall.

5  Thank John066
acohenIslington, General Manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2007

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all comments as we are here as dedicated hosts to give our guests pleasure, not angst. I would like to address each of your concerns directly.

Spa Treatment - Couples Massage
Not getting your preferred spa treatment time: In the hour or so that you were both at the resort, we certainly failed you in that your spa treatments were not able to be booked before your arrival. The Front Desk knew to set up your appointments on arrival so we are unsure why your actual time preference did not come through as well. We have asked our web manager to see if he can find and fix any failing systems in our Concierge on Line program. The wedding couple could also not have simultaneous massages, just as your situation, but could, of course, be with each other during the sequential massages.

The Atlantic Ocean
We do, indeed, sit on the Atlantic and we would have hope that fact is clear in all the maps and writing. Like most of the Caribbean islands, there is an Atlantic side and a Caribbean Sea side. We will see where and how we can make that clearer. It is because of sitting on the Atlantic with its barrier reef sets that we have such superior surfing and windsurfing.

Private Homes to Our Right
There are, indeed, a set of private homes to one side of us and then 3 miles of deserted beach to the other side of us. Tin panel roofs are indigenous to the Caribbean as a building/design style for all types of buildings.

Bluff above Us and Creating our Seclusion - in our opinion
There is, indeed, bluff ( we call it a "cliff"), about 200 feet high, behind us and continuing along for three miles of the deserted beach and on that high set back bluff, yes, there are houses - many are extensive and exclusive second homes . We have never had a guest feel that those homes were encroaching on our own privacy here on our 35 acres. It is this physical feature that actually gives us seclusion and what we here call "isolation".

The Beach - and limestone underpinnings of Puerto Rico
As you may recall in the brief time that you were here, the beach is not "fronted" by rocks. The limestone that makes up Puerto Rico does sit under the sand and the beach with some flat, rocky reaches visible and functioning as part of the beach itself. We have endless pictures of the beach on the website and we urge you to have a look, yourself.

Sea Urchins in Caribbean and Atlantic
I just went down to the beach and could not see any sea urchins. Are there sea urchins in the Caribbean and Atlantic? Yes, indeed. They are part of the environment here. They add to add to the tapestry of marine life that our guests come here to scuba in search of. I can say that I have never had a guest walk on a sea urchin at our beach.

Sea Floor
In the brief time that you were here, I am uncertain how you were able to determine that the sea floor was littered with trash and discarded tires. Our scuba divers and snorkelers have not seen the trash that you say that you did. We work hard here with a patrol of groundskeepers to pick up the flotsam that is brought in by storms as our natural environment is our supreme asset.

The Accommodation That You Selected and the Alternatives That You Were Offered
You did not like the hotel room so as you will recall, so we set aside several other rooms for you to choose from - larger rooms, but further set back from the beach - each with large terrace looking over the palms and to the sea. I am sorry you elected not to look at them prior to your departure because I am sure they would have exceeded our expectations.

Sleeping Family By One of the Pools
Yes, indeed, our guests do feel relaxed enough to have a snooze in the lounges around the pool. We would hope that all our guests would feel so relaxed.

Dry Vermouth
That we were out of dry vermouth that night, I and the Restaurant Manager apologize to you for. Such things will always and always have happened no matter how many check lists we have.

As you will recall, the Front Desk was happy provide the drinks that you did select as complimentary from us and was happy to not charge you a cancellation fee. Of course.

Thank you for your comments and again all our apologies that you were not pleased.

Jessica Tiphaine, General Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2007

My husband and I recently got married at the Villa Montana. After doing extensive research on destination wedding sites, we decided the Villa Montana was the perfect location for our small intimate wedding. We loved the resorts isolated location, its close proximity to the Aguadilla airport and its reputation for great food. Many larger resorts have multiple weddings per weekend unlike the Villa Montana who caters to one bride---This was a huge plus!

Despite rattling my nerves by not returning phone calls in a timely manner, missing several important scheduled conference calls, and seemingly ignoring some emails, the wedding itself was spectacular in every aspect imaginable. Our wedding weekend exceeded all of our expectations and our thirty guests continue to rave about the entire experience. With the help of our wedding planner Melany, we arranged for taxi service for all of our guests on Thursday night to the Ocean Front Restaurant (3 miles down the road). Great food and amazing views---I would definitely recommend this restaurant to all. On Friday night, we had our rehearsal dinner at the O Restaurant, the tapas restaurant at the resort. The ambiance was spectacular---dark wood, comfortable cushion seats, candlelight and Asian inspired decorations. The food was out of this world—Chef Samuel Hernandez did a fabulous job preparing the dishes! After the rehearsal dinner, we arranged for salsa lessons for all of our guests. Two instructors came to the Villa Montana to teach us the basic salsa moves. This was one of the highlights of the weekend.

The wedding itself was an amazing event. The ceremony and reception sites were beautifully decorated---the floral arrangements were gorgeous. Melany, our wedding planner, took care of all of the little details we requested. She was attentive to all of our needs. We had a very talented guitarist play at our ceremony and cocktail hour while a DJ played great dance music at the reception. Our guests spent most of the evening on the dance floor. Executive Chef Jeremy outdid himself! The food was five star quality! Our guests keep raving about how great the food was at the resort.

I am so grateful to all of the staff at the Villa Montana for making our wedding a truly memorable experience. Melany, Lizbeth, Diana and Mildred of the wedding department as well as Shakira at the front desk and Eva who worked both events, made sure our guests had a great stay at the Villa Montana. Our wedding at the Villa Montana was everything we hoped for and more.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank mudhen1
Reviewed 13 August 2007

The property failed to meet all the promises made.

It is described as a private hideaway on three miles of deserted Caribbean beach. The beach actually sits on the Atlantic, and it is not deserted. There were homes on either side of the hotel. On the one side, there are three or four homes juttin out directly over the water with kite surfers practicing their sport. On the other side and immediately adjacent to the hotel was a home completely covered in tin roof panels that made for a particular eye sore. The bluffs are covered with homes that look directly down on the beach, taking away whatever privacy there was to be had. This was our first ten minutes.

The beach is fronted by rocks and studded with sea urchins, making it very difficult to enter. Once in one discovers that the sea floor is littered with trash and discarded tires. It is inconceivable that the hotel would think that this beach is suitable for the kind of experience the hotel purports to offer.

Upon arrival, we were told that our confirmed spa booking (side by side massages) could no longer be honoured. This was due to one of the two massage therapists being on vacation. We could have separate massages but not at once as promised. However, two newlyweds couples that arrived at the same time as we did had no problem confirming theirs. We were flummoxed- it showed either complete incompetence at
delivering services they had already confirmed or at the very worst, it showed that there was something more unsavory at work. Additional
services requested- pedicures, manicures, facials- which they had received via e mail, were not even booked. Then we went to our assigned room.

Our room was diminutive and had no privacy. The bed adjoined a glass door that led directly to the street. It had no charm and was poorly decorated. There was barely enough space to walk around the bed, wedge oneself between said bed and a TV on the way to the bathroom. At the price range of this property, one expects a lot more than a plain white box with just enough space to walk around a bed and a TV mounted on a table. And things then got worse.

The AC was so loud that it made rest there an impossibility. We immediately complained to the front desk. We were told that a technician was on the way. Anticipating that it wouldn’t be fixed, I asked if it was wise to have us settle and unpack in case we needed to move. We were assured that it would be fixed. While we waited, we decided to have a drink at the bar.

Upon arriving at Eclipse we found a family snoozing on the chaises by the pool, even though the pool was closed and the restaurant open for busniness- nice. The view of the sea was marred by the loud 80’s music playing- not the chill out experience that your website promises. An order for a Dry Martini could not be fulfilled because there was no Dry Vermouth and the Tonic on a Gin and Tonic was flat.

We left the drinks in the hopes of finding some rest. The property was crawling with children everywhere, giving it the atmosphere of a summer camp and not that of a romantic hideaway. Depressed, we returned to the room to see if the AC had been fixed. Of course it wasn’t. We were then offered to look at another room, but by then the prospect repacking and of a move was so unpalatable that we decided to re pack indeed and leave this nightmare.

Travellers beware! It is a long way to get there only to find one has been lied to. I had travelled from Spain searching for the tropical paradise promised on their web site and only found that what
was described as isolated was really fenced in to literally stop the encroachment of surroundings developed without any care for the environment. Their failure to deliver is so staggering that we couldn´t even spend the night. And at these prices, better go stay at the Ritz Carlton.

Pietro Cuevas
Barcelona Spain

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pietrobcn
GM-VillaMontana, General manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2007

Yoyur comments are value by our team and thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all comments as we are here as dedicated hosts to give our guests pleasure, not angst. I would like to address each of your concerns directly.

Spa Treatment - Couples Massage

The Atlantic Ocean

Private Homes to Our Right

Bluff above Us and Creating our Seclusion - in our opinion

The Beach - and limestone underpinnings of Puerto Rico

Sea Urchins in Caribbean and Atlantic
I just went down to the beach and could not see any sea urchins. Are there sea urchins in the Caribbean and Atlantic? Yes, indeed. They are part of the environment here. They add to the tapestry of marine life that our guests come here to scuba in search of. I can say that I have never had a guest walk on a sea urchin at our beach.

Sea Floor

The Accommodation That You Selected and the Alternatives That You Were Offered

Sleeping Family By One of the Pools

Dry Vermouth

Jessica Tiphaine, General Manager

Reviewed 6 August 2007

I had my wedding at the Villa Montana Beach Resort on July 14, 2007. Words can’t describe how absolutely gorgeous this event was. It was literally a dream come true. My husband and I are from San Francisco and did not go visit the hotel before the actual wedding. As you can imagine, I was completely nervous that things wouldn’t go well or that I would be disappointed in the resort, but this was completely blown out of the water as soon as I arrived. The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and the villas are gorgeous, especially the larger 2 and 3br villas. The décor, cleanliness, and spaciousness of the larger villas are unlike anything other I’ve ever seen. My husband and I stayed in a 1br garden view villa, which was the perfect size for us and was literally steps away from the beach. It was about a 1min walk to the sand and you could hear the waves crashing from the patio in front of the room. We spent 9 days at the hotel to get a feel for the place before the wedding and had a great time. We had a total of about 40 guests and rented a total of 10 rooms at the resort. We were happy with all of them and had no complaints from our guests.

During the wedding planning process, I was worried because things seemed TOO easy. I know that sounds silly, but when planning a wedding, you expect to be running around like crazy! But Mildred (our planner) and her staff made it sooo easy for me. We literally just chose what we’d like from their options (music, food, décor, etc) and I sent her photos of the idea I had for the cake, bouquet and flowers. They nailed it and got everything perfect! My flower arrangements were so lovely, my bouquet was perfect, and the FOOD…oh man…the FOOD was to die for!! So good! We went for the 3 day event with a beach BBQ on Friday night, the wedding and reception on Saturday night and a brunch on Sunday. Every meal was delicious. Our guests were sooo impressed! And to be honest, everyone left thinking we spent way more for the wedding than we actually did. The prices are very affordable for a wedding and we got a fabulous 3 day event for less than a 1 day wedding in San Fran. The icing on the cake to our special day was that the hotel arranged for me to arrive on a white horse and meet my father at the end of the aisle. Our guests are STILL talking about that horse! Talk about a fairy tale wedding. I also took advantage of the spa at the hotel. Alfredo, the massage therapist, was so wonderful! I left feeling so relaxed and at ease.

The only thing I would write about the hotel, particularly the Eclipse Restaurant is that this is NOT the place to eat if you’re in a hurry. The food is delicious, however, the kitchen is on island time. The upside to this is that it gives you a chance to really kick back, enjoy the sounds of the coqui and the ocean crashing and feel the ocean breeze. For me, when I’m on vacation, I’m not in a hurry…so I had no complaints.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I brought my dog to the resort as well and they listened when I asked for them not to come in the room when I wasn’t around. I really appreciated that.

Overall, the 9 days I was there was very well spent. I was so pleased with the entire staff, particularly Mildred, Melany, and Lizbeth. These girls rock and made my wedding a dream come true. If you’re looking for a laid back place to have your special event, this is the spot. I can’t wait to go back for our 1 yr anniversary.

Feel free to email me with any questions or to see more photos of the event....I know that helps when trying to pick a wedding destination. Thanks! (syndiquiles@gmail.com)

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank SyndiQ321
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I held my wedding at Villa Montana in Jan 07 and coudn't have been happier with the event. My husband and I are from Boston and were looking for a small intimate beach resort to hold our wedding. The staff was wonderful and the accommodations suited our 100 guests perfectly. I made all my decisions regarding food, music and photographer based on recommendations from the hotel wedding staff and was very happy with the services. As with most weddings not all goes to plan...it's the kind of place that the overall results are so great that the minor mishaps have no bearing on the celebration. If you like the idea of a small island wedding without a lot of bells and whistles, this is the place. I would gladly do it again! A. Scheller

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2007

We just returned from our wedding at the Villa Montana. We traveled with 70 of our friends and family to celebrate our wedding which was 9 months in the making! I want to write about the 'resort' experience as much as possible in that I know how much people rely on these reviews when making plans; as did I. My wedding "planning " experinece was different and much less personal and much less 'fun' than our stay there so I really want to focus on the positive - and there was a lot of positive!

I would advise everyone to visit the resort's web site as much as possible. It is busy but they honestly left nothing to be desired in giving the overall feel of the place. It is not perfect - and that, quite honestly, to us, was the best part of it all! We were finished with resort perfection and super-size a long time ago. If you are the same, then this is the place for you.

All of the villas are different - all decorated differently and they were all charming - not perfect; but charming. The beach was beautiful! Yes, it's rocky but don't let anyone tell you it's not swimable. If you want to walk barefoot acoss the sand and walk right into the water - then you will be disappointed. It's just not that 'kind' of a beach but that does not mean it's not beautiful and does not have a lot to offer. Out of 72 people at my wedding, not a single person had ANY problem laying on those overstuffed lounge chairs all afternoon, snorkeling, walking 100 feet to the pool, or walking a few feet off to the side to a clearing that is swimable. It was just different - but still an awesome setting.

The staff - WONDERFUL and I mean wonderful! From the Cabana girl (Rosita - we all miss you!!!) to Diana (the resturant manager) to Shakira (at the front desk) they, without a doubt, make this resort what it is. They were attentive, personal, pleasant, chatty, professional and very humble. They truly make the Villa Montana the relaxing and unique place that it is.

The resturant and the food - fantastic! The setting is romantic and charming and every meal we had was great. Yes, service can be slow but if you watch very carefully you simply can not miss the fact that they are truly trying and they truly want you to have a good experience. I can't say that about too many places. And, if you got your meal in 1/2 an hour, you would miss the ambiance that the Eclipse has so it's a great trade off as far as I'm concerned! So, sit back and relax! Since we had a rehearsal BBQ and a wedding dinner there, we had the opportunity to meet with Chef Jeremy a couple times. And if you get this priviledge then you will love the food even more! His modesty, attention to detail, and descriptions are enchanting! The comments from our guests about the dishes served at our wedding have not stopped. It was fabulous!

On the wedding side - I am addicted to flowers and I was amazed and floored by how beautiful they all were. The time that went into getting a feel for my colors, my dress, the wedding party attire, the mood we wanted - all of it was breathtaking. Jessica did a wonderful job!

For our BBQ we enjoyed the music of Mellow Pan Trio and they were perfect! For our wedding ceremony we had Alexis Espada (saxophone) and a guitarist. This was the highlight of our wedding! They were incredible! We could have listened to them all night. The ceremony music was very important to us and we could not have asked for anyone better or a better combination than these two!

The resort did have power outages while we where there - one very long one and some of our guests had issues with the air conditioning in their rooms and a couple with the shower water. If you are counting on internet service - don't; it's just too sporatic to be relied upon. With the power - not a lot they can do! And with almost every issue, they responded in a timely manner. Like I said - the place is not perfect and most of the staff really do try very hard to please!

They do have an area of opportunity that would make a big difference to guests - especially wedding guests and that is the check in time. The flights into Aguidilla are either very early or very late. Since most of our guests were coming from JFK, that meant most got to the resort at 10:30am. And it's hot...really, really hot so it was frustrating that so many could not check into their rooms until 4pm. That really gets to be an unreasonable period of time for most to sit around and wait for a room to be ready. I think the resort would go a long way in customer satisfation if they would compromise a bit more on these flight arrival times vs. check in times since many travel with children. Just a suggestion. Again, the resort is small and the staffing likewise but this would go a long way in easing a frustration that can develop at the very beginning of a stay.

Other musts: Tropical Trail Rides and Happy Belly's!!! And the Lazy Parrot in Rincon. Bioluminescent Bay - forget about it! It's a long way to go for a town that does not even really 'open' until 4:30pm! Just stay on the beach at the resort!!

My wedding planning experience was not as soothing and personal as the resort is and that's sad. But, the issues I had were seamless to my guests (for the most part) and I can say with certainty that they all had a wonderful time - even the ones that didn't think they would and each and every one of them said that our wedding was beautiful!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Kelly B
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My husband was in PR for work, so we took the opportunity to take a short vacation. We had Marriott points to use at the San Juan Marriott, but had one night that wasn't covered. We both surf, so after finding that the northwest corner of the island is the place for this, I researched tons of hotels in this area and decided on the Villa Montana. We loved it! We wished we could stay the whole vacation. Once we got to the very nice Marriott resort in San Juan, I still wished we were at Villa Montana! This place is totally different than your typical high-rise resort like in San Juan. It's quiet, small, uncrowded.

It wasn't perfect...the check-in staff took their time getting to me, and yes, the service at the restaurants is slow. But other than that, not much to complain about!

The water was actually quite calm when we went. It is rocky, but there were planty of sandy gaps in the rocks to enter the water from. In the evening after dinner we went down to the beach and literally had it all to ourselves. I also went to the pool a time or two and had it all to myself. We loved this.

We stayed in one of the regular hotel rooms. It was nice. Nice private patio. It wasn't as typically fancy as a Marriott-type place, but we liked that it felt a bit more exotic. The resort looks very big from the map, but in fact is compact, so don't worry that the hotel rooms appear to be far from the beach...its really very close.

This place is all about expectations and what you are looking for! If you want a Marriott-resort type place, you might be disappointed. But if you want a peaceful, quiet, private place, this is it!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pitbulls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
#3 of 7 in Rincon
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!