“Step away from the madness of daily life into a world of tranquility and peace...Royal Isabela!”
Review of Royal Isabela

Royal Isabela
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2014

As a seasoned veteran in the golf travel business, I have travelled far and wide. Part of our job in this industry is to vet properties and golf courses so that we can find the best fit for our client's next sojourn...! Just returning home from a short but very memorable stay I can and with great confidence recommend a visit to Royal Isabela on Puerto Rico's north west coast. However, if you stay here do yourself a favor and make sure you stay no less than a minimum of 3 nights...it's that good!

Highlights...golf is amazing!! Food is delicious and beautifully prepared! The casitas are beyond opulent...i.e. The shower has doors that open up to your private deck and plunge pool with an ocean view beyond it! Service is outstanding....every move is anticipated and delivered with a warm and friendly smile - definitely the signature of an excellent and hands on General Manager, Robin Donenburg...tell him I sent you ;)

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SeanWinton
GMRoyalIsabela, General Manager at Royal Isabela, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Hey Sean

Thanks for the great Tripadvisor review it is much appreciated.

It was so amazing having all of you over here with us to enjoy the resort and especially to play the links golf course. The only requirement I have for next time is ....... all the Scotsmen have to bring their kilts to play a round of golf in and drink at the bar.

But on a more serious note, thank you for letting all the Tripadvisor users out there know what a wonderful resort Royal Isabela is and what a fantastic experience they can expect when they come and visit us.

Best Regards from all of us here at Royal Isabela and we hope to see you back here soon

Robin Donenberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Usually, the pictures and claims posted on a property's website are not indicative of what you actually see or get while you are at a property. This is just not true at this location. I not easily "wowed" but the property simply takes your breath away. From the rolling hills, to the continuous sound of the ocean, to the private beach, the impeccably manicured grounds, and the secluded casitas with amazing vistas; the property is lifted straight out of a Caribbean romance novel. Also, this was the best level of service that I have experienced in the Caribbean; and is just as attentive and polite as some top line Vegas hotels that I have enjoyed ( read MGM skylofts). If you are looking for a relaxing, laid back vacation; this should be your only option. I would definitely recommend the casita that I had for the last 6 days, but I don't want you to take it from me the next time I plan on going ( which I definitely will). This is a resort designed for couples looking to reconnect ( or to get engaged, in my case. :). ) a big thank you to the staff at the resort for making a memorable occasion even more splendid by just providing world class service ( and by helping us get our regular table in the corner ). :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DrTim911
Dear DrTim911

All the team here at Royal Isabela want to thank you for allowing us to make your engagement such a special and memorable occasion. The table in the corner has got your name on it and will be there waiting for you upon your next visit.

I personally would like to thank you for the recognition you have given my team for their exceptional service as they really do work extremely hard at making each and every guest who comes through our doors, feel like royalty.

We look forward to welcoming the two of you back to Royal Isabela for your next visit......Honeymoon perhaps ;))

But for whatever reason you might return, we will be just as happy to see you here again.

Best Regards from all of us

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I, both golfers, stayed here for four nights after reading about the resort in Golf Odyssey magazine. Our stay surpassed our expectations. We prefer to stay in small boutique hotels and this 20 room property was perfect for us. Our casita was immaculate. The service was wonderful. The gold course is challenging but manageable for us, we both have handicaps in the mid 20's. Not a place to stay if you are looking for action, this is a quiet, small property. The food was quite good, standard caribbean fare with fresh fish daily. There are complimentary drinks in each casita, a nice touch. Also a self serve washer dryer on the property. There is no pool service, nor is it needed, but a small refrigerator with water (there is an ice machine) would be a good addition, although it is easy to bring drinks and cups to the pool from the casita. And a giant plus for having adequate outlets for chargers, and a vanity with a chair and a makeup mirror. So many resorts neglect this very basic amenity, so much better than having to stand in the bathroom to do hair and makeup! There are plans to develop this property with villas and homes but so far nothing has been built. In sum, we loved our four days here and expect to come back.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank susan r
Dear Susan Robin

We would like to thank you and your husband for allowing us the opportunity to show you what a wonderful resort Royal Isabela is. We are so happy that you got to enjoy all that Royal Isabela has to offer such as the fantastic restaurant with Chef Jose Carles Fabregas, the cozy casitas, the lovely swimming pool area and of course the gem of Royal Isabela, our spectacular Links Golf Course.

We look forward to your next visit

Best regards

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Best place for a great escape. Private casita with heated plunge pool on a secluded sun deck, amazing view of the ocean from comfy lounge chairs, rain/shower room with dual shower heads that opens up to deck and plunge pool, Frette linens, Gilchrist & Soames bath products, homemade oatmeal raisin cookies delivered fresh to your door in the afternoon, challenging links-style golf course with stunning waterfront vistas....it really doesn't get better than this.

Best for couples for a romantic getaway if you're looking to reconnect with each other and walk on the beach, play golf, or laze in the sun.

Stocked fridge replenished every day with water, beer (local Medalla), soda and Pellegrino.

Very pricey, but worth the expense if you want privacy, relaxation and plenty of sun.

Service is a bit on the slow side...you are definitely not in the States and have to readjust your expectations with service.

Room Tip: Ask for casita #10, 15 or 20.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gayle S
Dear Gayle S

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Royal Isabela. We are so happy that you enjoyed all that we offer here at our property and I must admit, I have enjoyed a few too many of those freshly baked afternoon oatmeal cookies myself.

We are also constantly working on the quality of our service, so next time you come I am sure you will find that it has improved.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Best Regards

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 25 February 2014

After making the decision to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday in Puerto Rico, I had many decisions to make about where exactly we would stay. I finally arrived at the decision to stay half of the trip at Royal Isabela and the other half at La Concha in Condado to provide the full P.R. experience. We wanted the quiet and serenity of the NorthWest coast with some time in San Juan. This turned out to be the biggest mistake I have ever made. WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED THE ENTIRE TIME AT ROYAL ISABELA!!! In fact, we should STILL be there.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I will try to personalize our experience. As others have noted, the grounds are breathtaking! The casitas are amazing! The plunge pool, outside on the deck of the casita, overlooking the Atlantic ocean is a vacation in and of itself. (By the way... on Friday morning of our visit, we saw a humpback whale shoot his spout about 5 times right from the deck of our casita).

On Thursday night, right after check-in, I surprised my wife with the romantic package. Even though she wanted to unwind and take in all that the casita had to offer right away, I made up an excuse to get us out of the room for about an hour to allow time for them to set up the romantic package. Upon our return, she was more blown away than she already was upon arrival. There were rose petals everywhere... including filled in our jacuzzi tub. There were candles everywhere and our personal butler server for the evening was waiting with champagne and menus to prepare our dinner right on our private deck.

The bed is the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. We slept with the doors of the bedroom and the doors of the casita wide open every night so that the wonderful ocean breeze could flow freely. It also allowed the opportunity to look out at the glorious view at any time, whether it was for sunrise, sunset or any time in between.

All of the meals were to die for. We ate a delicious filet mignon, salmon, tuna, shrimp, pizza, salads, soups, spaghetti... and a full (complimentary) continental buffet that should not be called continental. It is complete with all major food groups including fresh bread that is baked onsite and organic fruits and vegetables grown on the premises.

I could type all day but the final thing I will mention is the BEACH!!! It requires a walk down a path that feels like a journey through the Garden of Eden. And then when you get there, you are absolutely amazed at what you see. I have posted a picture of a mountain side that looks like the face of a lion watching over the beach. It is very private and very serene. You will likely have the beach all to yourself.

Oh... one more thing. The service cannot be beat. Everyone tends to your every need, with speed... which is NOT the norm for Puerto Rico. If you drive, they have free valet parking and everything you need on the grounds is within short walking distance. But if you prefer a ride there are plenty of concierge ready to shuttle you on golf carts. My wife and I felt completely safe and private at all times, often electing to shower with the doors wide open to the deck making it an outdoor experience. The bathroom with the huge jacuzzi tub for two could get it's own review by itself. We did not golf, but each and every one of the happy and friendly vacationers who did made sure to rave about how unbelievable a course it is. There are only 20 casitas, so even golfers had the entire course to themselves when they played.

Royal Isabela has raised the bar for lodging anywhere else we go. And we ONLY stay at 4 star + accomodations. La Concha is rated very high for Puerto Rico lodging. Unfortunately for them, we stayed at Royal Isabela first and that made La Concha's wonderful oceanfront suite feel like a nice Days Inn. Sorry, La Concha. We have begun a crusade to get people to experience Royal Isabela and wouldn't be suprised if we made a return trip in just a few short months.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casita #4 which had a fantastic view of the Atlantic and was in a close and convenient...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KGperiod
GMRoyalIsabela, General Manager at Royal Isabela, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear KGperiod

There are no words to say thank you enough for the very kind, detailed and wonderful review you wrote for us on Tripadvisor. I have shared your amazing review with all my team members as I want them to know how much all their hard work and effort is being appreciated and what a fantastic job they are doing. There is nothing more I can even mention as you have said everything.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the Tripadvisor community, thank you for allowing us to "Spoil You Rotten" and please come back again soon so we can do it all over again.

Best Regards

Vancouver
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were on a family trip to Puerto Rico and Nevis and had heard about Royal Isabela. My husband is the real golfer and I thought we should make the effort to see this resort.

The two hour drive from the airport isn't great but once you get there, you forget about it quickly. The initial impression of the resort is elegant. Great main house but it's the casita that will blow you away. We were travelling with our two young daughters and loved the space.

The two things we'll remember is opening the doors to the deck and plunge pool during the day and open the doors from the shower (while showering!) to the deck and plunge pool. Private and magnificent. It truly doesn't get better than that.

The golf course was challenging but still fun even for a casual golfer because you must take a caddie. We were very glad we did and got great tips on my golf game! Beware of the fireants though on the course and sandtraps.

For any tennis players, there is a grass tennis court and a hardcourt. Pool was lovely.

Food was very good, fresh and the overall service was terrific.

We met one of the owners, Stanley, who was very welcoming. We even crashed his super bowl viewing party :)

Would love to come back for just some golf and relaxation!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Wee
Dear Wee

We are so grateful that you and your family managed to come all the way from Vancouver to enjoy our golf course and lovely casitas. We know what a long journey it can be so I am so happy we fulfilled all your expectations and that you all enjoyed all our property has to offer. You also got to meet one of our wonderful owners Stanley and join in on his super bowl party which is fantastic. Even though the trip can be a long one we hope you will be back again soon to enjoy some more time with us.

Regards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We came here to celebrate a birthday and from the time we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel as though we were the only two people at this resort (obviously we weren't) they aim to meet your every need at any hour of the day. The views from the private rooms are spectacular. And the golf is amazing

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ocean954
GMRoyalIsabela, General Manager at Royal Isabela, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear crm519

Thank you so much for choosing Royal Isabela to celebrate such a special occasion as your birthday, and even though you were not the only two people at the resort, for us you were. We hope you will return soon so that you can once again relax in our lovely casitas, be challenged by our world class golf course and be pampered by our wonderful team.

Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
#2 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
Villa Montana Beach Resort

Been to Royal Isabela? Share your experiences!