“Anniversary getaway”
Review of Royal Isabela

Royal Isabela
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I planned my trip here a month in advance. My husband and I travel to a new place every year and needless to say after the reviews posted here I couldn't wait. I paid in advanced and requested the honeymoon casita for the extra privacy. I was assured that I was guaranteed this room unless for someone reason the air conditioner went out or anything unfortunate were to happen to it. I also confirmed this with 4 other people.
Fast forward to check in, the room was nice and clean and I was pleased until I realized that there was no pathway to the reading are that comes with the honeymoon casita??!
What do you mean?
I thoroughly planned this trip, I was told it was already given to someone else. No apologizes no compensation no customer service. I was so upset. My husband is a new attorney and super busy we barely have time alone so I imagined us being secluded looking out at the stars with no laptop attached for 4 nights. Well that didn't happen, and they could care less.
I also noticed request for activities were also ignored before check in as they claim to be able to set you up with certain things, I ended up planning on my own.
Other than the disappointment of customer service, the resort is beautiful the casita is nice and large, the pool didn't appear to be heated.
The trail to the beach can be beautiful but scary also. You are completely exposed to nature and whatever creeps and crawls beyond the trees and thick vegetation. There is a bit of a hike to the beach 5-10 min depending on your past but defiantly worth it! I had the entire beach to myself while my husband slept. It's not a beach you can swim or snorkel but is something you shouldn't pass up. The bellhop was excellent, please be sure to tip we got caught off guard after passing so many tolls, other than that I would recommend it to the viewer reading.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Toyawiltz

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just returned from this fabulous place of refuge. I can now join the chorus of all prior guests who have extolled the virtues of Royal Isabela's unparalleled service, world class golf course, impeccable casitas, enchanting grounds and delectablee gourmet foods and yes, it is all that, but it's so much more. Royal Isabela is the General Manager (Robin D.) inquiring on a daily basis as to how well things are going. Royal Isabela is finding a pampered repose in the Water Works bath or standing under one of the four shower heads in the ten foot shower. Royal Isabela is receiving fresh cookies with turndown service. Royal Isabela is being enveloped in the pillow top mattress, snuggling between your Frette sheets and enjoying the sunset. Royal Islabela is realizing that " Life Is Good".
This place should definitely be on the AMX Fine Hotels and Resorts list.
Can't wait to return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Comeflywithmii
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We are not golfers and chose The Royal Isabella based solely on the privacy, beauty and uniqueness of the property. The five star reviews on Trip Advisor are completely accurate -- this resort is a gem and a welcome respite if you enjoy peace and tranquility. Many details well thought out, although helicopter traffic at night can vibrate the deck if you're enjoying the plunge pool.
Despite what some others may mention, the service we experienced was excellent every day in every aspect. One morning the kitchen ran out of honey. I told our server "no problem" and really meant it-- I have no trouble taking sugar in my tea. Several minutes later she brought out a honey like substitute the chef made me for my tea--extremely thoughtful.
Concierge Tanya went out of her way for me on more than one occasion without me asking. Super hospitality from front of house, back of house, to the GM. Warm smiles from staff members throughout the day on the grounds. The days we took trips to other parts of the island, despite some lovely areas and other resorts, we felt at home at Royal Isabella. Loved the warm welcome we received at night from the gentlemen at the gate and relaxing in our beautiful casita. The sound of the ocean below, stars, moonlight and gentle trades above, it was hard to leave. We look forward to returning.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jinx342
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here in January 2013 and just got back from our second trip, April 2014. This place is amazing. The staff could not be more friendly. The food is 5 Star. The Rooms are some of the most beautiful that I have ever stayed in. The golf is right up there with Pebble Beach (I am serious). First trip it was just my husband and I and on the most recent trip we brought our 4 month old. The babysitters were great and the plunge pool was just perfect for her. We are already planning our next trip back! If you can afford it and you golf then you are crazy to stay anyplace else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LKDMFD
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The setting is beautiful over looking cliffs and the ocean. Each room is actually your own casita that is absolutely beautiful, with a private deck with gorgeous views and your own plunge pool. The food is great and the service is friendly. The golf course is is challenging and my husband would recommend bringing extra golf balls, and yes you do need a cady! We can't wait to go back. We went in March, a great time to go.

Room Tip: All the rooms have similar great views we were in casita # 10 loved it
1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I visited the first week of March, 2014. It was the most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in. The view was amazing, the bathroom was huge, soaker tub, huge double shower, we had a romantic canopy bed, the private plunge pool and deck were perfect, the furniture was high end, as were all of the finishes and amenities in the room.
We traveled with my parents and had adjacent casitas. Every casita is so private that this was both convenient and yet completely unobtrusive.
As for the rest of the resort, the salt water pool was delightful.
The breakfast buffet was more than adequate, lunch and dinner were good. The menu changes weekly, so it may get old after a while if you aren't around for a change over. Service was a little slow but honestly, after a few days on Puerto Rico time, I began to think it was on purpose to help us let go and relax. After all, what was the rush?
The golf course was beautiful, very well maintained, amazing views from almost every hole. At first, I was annoyed I had to have a caddy, but trust me, you will need him!
All of the staff was friendly and attentive. But you also had maximum privacy and could avoid seeing anyone if that was what you wanted.
The lap pool and gym are great, you have it to yourself as no one was ever there.
I will definitely be coming back if I can!

1  Thank Clare G
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I can't begin to tell you how amazing this place is. I was looking to stay in Puerto Rico and when I went on Trip Advisor this was the #1 rated resort in PR. I was skeptical about the price but after reading every review and doing extensive research I realized that me and the husband only have a 10 year anniversary once so why not!! It was the best decision that I ever made. We travel a lot and having been to a lot of Carribean islands and places up and down the east coast this was by far the most gorgeous, amazing place. The only minor complaint was that unfortunately our A/C went out in casita #13 on our 3rd day. They immediately moved us to another casita (#19) and would've came over and personally packed every single thing if I had asked them too. They came and picked up all of our stuff and moved us over to another one, so no harm, no foul. But we were really attached to #13 so we were sad to have to leave it!

The casitas are by far surreal. They are spacious and comfortable. Immaculately well kept. The shower is simply amazing. Once you can take an outdoor shower with that view, it'll be hard to shower at home again! The bed is beyond comfortable. We arrived at our casita at 1:00AM so it was dark out. When we woke up in the morning I was just in awe of the view. It was the epitome of perfection. The weather was perfect every day. We were able to keep our patio doors wide open all day/night and the a/c in the casita kept the home cool and you could still feel the amazing breeze and sound of the ocean all night.

The grounds and staff are simply awesome. Gabi, the bartender, was my favorite!! Very funny, very sweet and always had new drink ideas. They all know who you are and remember what drinks you like and where you like to sit. They always have smiles on their face and there is no such thing as the word "no". If you ask, you receive. We purchased the romance package and it was beautiful! We came back to our casita and outside on our patio they had a beautiful table set up with champagne and a private butler who delivered us one course at a time of amazing food. When we entered our casita it was breathtaking. Rose petals and candles everywhere! So perfectly placed. A HOT bath waiting filled with rose petals. I can't get over how beautiful it was.

The beach was isolated and beautiful. No one around but us. Basically your own private beach. Anything you want they will bring to your casita for you. You can eat every meal there if you want. And it's beautiful and perfect enough that you may never want to leave it lol. I could go on all day about this place. But needless to say, you get what you pay for! 5 star resort, 5 star service, 5 star food, 5 star everything!!! If you like the hustle and bustle of a city and city night life then this isn't the place for you. If you want relaxation, romance, scenery, time to reconnect and enjoy life then I 100% recommend you go here. We will DEFINITELY be returning! Thank you Royal Isabela and your staff for exceeding every expectation that we had. We loved it so much.

4  Thank Ashley Q
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
CasaBlanca Hotel
CasaBlanca Hotel
#5 of 47 in San Juan

Been to Royal Isabela? Share your experiences!