“Tranquil,Great view..”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cienfuegos
Los angeles
“Tranquil,Great view..”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

It is a very clean hotel the rooms where a good size and clean .
I had a lovely view off the pool area... You also have a great view of the bay..
The price was very moderate ,you get breakfast and dinner included ans a bottle
of rum and 7 drinks per person ,now that promotion i do not know if they have it constantly
The pool is huge nice palm trees and well kept.

You can take a ferry ride not to long just to cross you to the other side to see the Fortaleza de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua.(The Jagua Fortress) it is like going back in time ,it is under renovation.Have fun in Cuba...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank MariaBerumen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I visited the Pasacaballo Hotel in February 2013
Large hotle for moslty Cubans and their guests
The pool is very large and the dinning room is
very large and clean
The main lobby bar is the best in Cuban
Great service and great guys.
Nice place to stop in or a cold drink before and after
the ferry trip to the Spanish Castle.
Also has a great view of the bay and habour, just take
the elevator to the roof.all was good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank max010145
hfx
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Arrived at this hotel after an hour boat ride from Cienfuegos. We were on a 2 day 1 nite tour of Santa Clara, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, in early March. I thought the hotel was like stepping back in the 60's...very cool. The hotel was very clean and staff were fine. Room was small..bed/bedding fine...bathroom walk-in shower and everything working and spotless. View from the balcony was fabulous, looking down towards the bay and mountains. Dinner and breakfast were ok, pretty much like it usually is, not inventive but will do. If I wanted fine dining and wine I'd go to Italy! Pool area looked very nice and cared for. I certainly could stay at this hotel for a couple of days, no problem. Have travelled all over Cuba for several years and enjoy each new adventure...it is what you make it...Have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank clara-rosa
kent
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel by water on a ferry as part of an overnight trip to see Trinidad and the centre of Cuba. It looked like a big coloured lego building from eastern block countries in the 60's, huge and in the middle of nowhere, not sure if it ever gets full, but they coped very well with at least 50 of us turning up in early evening. The room was very old fashioned, and the basin in the bathroom only had a cold tap and no plug! BUT the shower worked well, as did the a/con. Stayed for evening meal in special darkened function room, not too bad, and then were entertained by an old bloke singing in the entrance hall. All in all we had a good laugh (perhaps as we knew we were only there for one night). Lovely view when we opened curtains in morning over the pool. Breakfast was ok considering they have to cater for all tastes from people from different countries. What a bargain though, as it looks as though the cost was only 26 cuc for b&b.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank KentJanet
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I stayed here on a two-day visit to Cienfuegos as part of a tour of Cuba. The hotel looks like a Soviet-designed Ikea and is falling apart, but it has gorgeous views and a decent restaurant and pool. The door to my room did not close properly, and the door to my balcony electrocuted me every time I touched it. With a little maintenance, this place would be so much better. Despite all of this, it was a fun place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank hawkeyenatedog
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

One of the many stop in our cycling tour adventure around Cuba. There's the basic and it's as you should expect from a "hotel for locals" (It's not designed for tourist but will certainly host tourist). The entrance is grandiose and have many ping pong tables. We found it a little hard to fit our bike (individually) in the elevator, but manage with no disasters; just a few looks from staffs and other customers (they clearly don't understand that we would never separate from our bikes.) The room was ok. They was a nice view from the back and the pool. No fans, so we had to put the A/C on (we dislike the serious impact of the A/C and we are ok with a old fashion fan - Next time, I'm ready to carry my little powerful fan on my bicycle, not to use A/C). Anyways, the meals were nice. Not the cleanest dishes (I cleaned my utensils) but really, this is luxury for a traveling Cuban and I was there to experience Cuba... not to bring big American resort.... if this is what I wanted I could have gone to US of big f.g A. Most of the staff are use to seeing non-local with big attitude, so it's harder to have a human conversation (don't blame them). -- The experience was nice; but I like the Casa Particular (B&B) much better. Local Campismos is the second choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CyclingTheWorld
Sutton, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2012

On our week long driving adventure in Cuba( coming from Havana) we were heading to Trinidad when the day overtook us and it was time to find that evenings home sweet home. Well imagine our surprise as we are headed(lost again!lol)down a very dark, dead end road dodging huge crabs bigger than your hand -scurrying off into the brush! Mating season???
A tour bus went flying by- crunching those unlucky lovers that were in it's path!
Around the bend and a large white elongated horse sign appeared. Well as I have 8 horses-it was if if the car was on equine radar. In we went ,only to find a large horseshoe(now I am getting super excited) and a huge sold wooden horse carving 10ft tall.
As we walk to reception on the black high shine marble foyer, I spot a painting of horses swimming and find out the history of the horses in the are inspired to horse themed hotel. All the horses were swum across the channel to the mainland. As someone who swims her own horses- they don't all like or know how to. I imagine there were a few who drowned as the painting shows alot of fear in the horses faces.
My husband guessed from the beautiful lobby that we would be paying $150. a night .Nope! $26 which included breakfast for both of us. What a find! Combining my horse craziness and his frugality- appeased us both. Off to our room we went and we wondered if we were the only ones in the hotel(over 100 rooms) When we opened the door - we just starting laughing! Yes it was a shock.It was definetly not what we expected. Did not coincide with the lobby at all. Old, dated,tiny old TV, no hot water(warm only) to shower with ...but so what -we were only staying 14 hours anyway.
While hubby was checking for bed bugs-Lol(he found none) I checked for toilet paper(those who have travelled outside an all inclusive in Cuba-know what I am talking about)
Pheww! there was lots.
After having a very comfortable sleep we got up and headed for breakfast and discovered another 26 people in the dining room.
Alas, we were not alone.
Breakfast and coffee was good.
Hubby was especially glad that he good get ham and eggs anywhere in Cuba (He hated the month we spent in Europe-10 countries- where the continental breakfast reigns supreme)
After an hour for tanning by the huge, clean pool, listening to some incredible cuban music and a swim in the salt water pool -we were on our way .
We looked back at the colorful hotel as we left - smiling to ourselves and the luck of finding this hidden gem.
Although we stay mostly in 4-5 stars and pay for it. The Sandals in Varadero cost us $320. for 1 night.(Also worth it)
But ,This was a refreshing change of pace that I would recommend for a night or 2 but not a week. But lower your standards- it is not a resort ! Where else can you get a bed /breakfast/ pool/music, really neat old pool tables for $26. per couple per night!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Marie77777_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cienfuegos
Hotel Rancho Luna
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
Casas Zunilda y Raya
Casas Zunilda y Raya
#3 of 139 in Cienfuegos

Been to Islazul Pasacaballo Hotel? Share your experiences!