“A base to explore the region, not a proper all-inclusive resort”
Review of Hotel Rancho Luna

Hotel Rancho Luna
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Cienfuegos
Reviewed 19 October 2013

It was our second trip to Cuba and we decided to go to Rancho Luna because it was only 500 CAD per person. The first negative experience we encountered was at the reception: the guy wouldn't change our room even so there were plenty of rooms available. Only with the help of our agency representative, who was really friendly (from Caribe Sol) we finally got a decent room with a pool view and close enough to the main building to feel safe. However, our window had a broken latch (as seems to be a custom at this hotel). Another points I disliked were the absence of sparkling mineral water at ALL bars during the whole week, dreadful pina coladas, and poor entertainment activities. Basically, there is nothing to do at this resort except for the beach or the swimming pool. The only activity I found was an aerobic class (amazingly good by the way, the coach is really professional), but otherwise the management really cuts on the entertainment budget.
Now about some positive moments: the maids do an excellent job cleaning rooms, the food and coffee at the resort are quite good, but you need to arrive among the first to the restaurant because the best choices dissapear quickly; also there are excellent excursions available from Juanita (she is at the réservations desk in the lobby). We did Delphinarium, city of Trinidad, El Nicho and Cienfuegos. All these excursions cost only 35% of Varadero's prices, for example less then 40 peso to swim with dolphins (in other places you pay at least 100). The best transportation option in the area is by taxi, just don't hesitate to negotiate with drivers. By the way, you can go to El Nicho waterfalls by taxi as well (30-35 peso), and pay a small entrance fee (9 peso) directly over there. More economical than an organized excursion and you have more liberty to explore the park on your own.
In conclusion, I would qualify this place as a good base to discover the region and to get a great photos, but not really an all-inclusive Cubain resort as we are accustomed.

Room Tip: Rooms with the pool view are safer, and as close as possible to the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Elina B

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had a wonderful week here. The food is ok with lots of choices, including many Cuban foods. There is a local bus, taken by Cubans, just in front of the hotel. We took this bus into Cienfuegos four times during our one week stay. The cost of the bus ride is two pesos( not convertible peso, but moneda nacional, so it work out to be less than ten cents US).
Horse back riding costs three convertible pesos if you want to ride outside of the resort. Within the resort, it is free. The horse ride is worth it. The trip lasts about one hour.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank raf c
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've been to this hotel 6-7 times; enough to be able to evaluate it properly. This is a bad hotel. The fact that it is categorized as a 2.5 star hotel does not justify the poor service, the dirty conditions around the pool, the very loud music at all hours of the day, the disinterested staff. There are some good people working there but the "mood" of the hotel comes from management. If you want a cheap "vacation" (and I use that term loosely) go there; but only during the off-season. Stay away during peak season. They may get the message; but I doubt it. There are better places in Cuba.

Room Tip: First floor room. These rooms have a small terrace and face the ocean. Second floor rooms are smalle...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank k_wfrost
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Think of all the roadside motels you've stayed at. A flop that serves a purpose, but nothing you would consider a destination.

Rancho Luna is a good base camp for exploring the region. The excursions are reasonably priced... El Nicho is a "must see", and Cienfuegos as a French-designed city is a good day.

The buffet will give you a chance to sample food not normally encountered at AI's... rabbit, stewed goat, beef tongue. Service is geared towards an increasingly Cuban clientèle and their lowered expectations. Bureaucratic, not "unfriendly", but not customer oriented. It starts at the front desk... The word "Passport" must be Cuban for "Welcome". Just joking,.. sort of. That was the extent of my conversation when I arrived, and I can speak passable Spanish.

Alerted to increased risk of theft (see earlier reviews), I checked my windows in both rooms I was given ( I refused the first one due to isolated location)... as was mentioned in earlier reviews all windows were unlatched. Curious. I encountered no theft issues (I have a nanny cam for travel), and the maid would not even take the tips I was leaving. In a conversation with her she stated she would not touch anything that she was unsure of. So perhaps they're trying to respond to the theft reports.

Passing through for a few days, I had no particular issues with this "motel" as I'm quite experienced with "life on the road". But if you're looking for a standard tourist AI, make sure you do a careful cost-benefit analysis to ensure this place matches your own expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Nestuapuguei
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The rooms have roaches and a lot of humidity I had to get it change, twice. Service is terrible and the food is just horrible.
Ok, I went during low season in Cuba, but this doesn't justify the poor elaboration of the scarce options at the buffet and the low quality of the service, just looking for tips.
The beach is ok, let's say, but no beach bar was working although I saw the security staff drinking beer behind the bar that said "closed" what???1?!!?
I really do not recommend this hotel, maybe during high season is a bit better but is just horrible.
Alongside the coast there some particular houses, I went there next day first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: Just go to a Particular house instead!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Liza j
Reviewed 1 August 2013

No running water, uncomfortable beds, air conditioning was poor, I wouldn't touch the food as there were flies everywhere. We had an agency book our accommodation, and if I had on done it myself I would have not stayed here, but didn't think an agency would put us in a horrible place.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TorCru
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have been to "The Ranch" over a dozen times and have found it in June/2013 to have deteriorated to unacceptable levels. Every day no water at the hotel. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 4 hours and on the last day for 12hours (read no shower for the flight) Not a 3 star hotel by any stretch. Unplanned water outages happen in Cuba but it was the fact that they did not tell us that the water was going off on a planned outage. Other pet pives included them switching beer availability from the poolbar to the lobby bar and vise versa . Not that they ran out, just stopped serving on a whim.
No food at the pool bar until 3pm and no food at the beach bar.
I counted 32 flies (and stopped counting) at the lunch table on a rather bad and hot day.
The only consolation is with this 'service',,,, that even the Cubans are staying away

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank BMW620
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cienfuegos
Hotel Faro Luna
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Trinidad
Hotel Ancon
Hotel Ancon
#2 of 2 in Playa Ancon

Been to Hotel Rancho Luna? Share your experiences!