“What's not to like?”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Rancho Luna
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cienfuegos
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I really wish the chronic complainers would either just stay home or just shut up.

We visited Rancho Luna thirteen years ago and thought then that it was quite basic but were very impressed with the improvements since then. We were there in January and March this year (2014) and really enjoyed ourselves. We're back again next year.

The beach is great, the rum is good, the pool is good and the food is also quite good. I think the people who complain about the food must be meat and potato types with little culinary adventure. There was a large variety of cusine that could accomodate the vegan right through to the carnivore. If you're missing your regular Big Mac and fries then what can I say? And listening to a group of Brit tourists complaining about food - LOL!! What else can I say. :-) A lot of Canuks there but also Euros and a few from South America. I lke the beach because you can meet local Cubans and even the handful of hawkers will leave you alone if you ask them to.

We were there over Ontario March break and while there were kids and teenagers there, the resort wasn't over run with them which was very nice. The resort seems to attract a more mature type. lots of boomers and even seniors although there are also younger people present. I like the fact that the beach doesn't have jet skis or other motorized vehicles on the beach and is very peaceful. If you want a Disneyland in the Caribbean then this is not the resort for you. This is a quiet relaxing place.

Let me comment on the scuba diving. We're experienced divers with over 1000 logged dives. We've dived in the worst great lake conditions, all over the islands and the great barrier reef and say this is one of the best kept dive secrets anywhere. No cattle boats and the dive shop does a great job of seperating the experienced divers from the newbies. The best dives are around 85-130 ft which includes swimming through tight labaryinth and coral cave formations which requires good bouyancy skills. These are not dives for the inexperienced casual diver. There is fantastic diving here, but mostly at depth, so this is a great dive location for the more savy divers..

I find this to be the most unpretentious Caribbean resort I've ever been to. The staff is great and the returners are also. A lot of Canuks come here time after time. Its great to see horses and goats on the property and to make friends with the local resident dogs and cats on the resort.

I've stayed in higher end five star joints and liked them a lot less than Rancho Luna. It depends on the type of person you are and what you really want on a holiday, but this resort gets five stars and two thumbs up from me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vacationguy2014

Reviewed 16 March 2014

To say "you get what you pay for" is the correct term to describe this hotel. Old Russian build hotel (same layout as Mayanabo and others)small rooms(request ground floor), small beach, 20 min. out of town (take the local bus), mediocre food (as anywhere in Cuba) lovely staff, excellent entertainment.Suggestions: bring your own mug (better then their small glasses), facecloth (not avail), beachtowel (prevent any hassle), soap, bugspray (esp. in summer month) pillow, and any toiletries and meds you could possibly need
If you are there esp. on a Sat. visit this beautiful city in the afternoon and enjoy the nightlife
If you are there in low and shoulder season expect many local Cuban (Not always the most polite and gracious) think of it more like a "kid in a candy store"
Enjoy and always look on the bright side

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flyingdutchman951
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I can't rave about this resort but my friend and I got a really great last minute deal, so we were very happy for the most part. Balconies don't really exist unless you are on the ground levels. The room we were in was very small but didn't bother us, we weren't there for the room.

The beach in front of the resort wasn't the greatest but a little walk to the public beach and it was much better. Though- either beach, you will be asked to give away your clothes, towels, etc. Just the way it is there.

The food wasn't great but most places in Cuba for good food- you need to go to a restaurant.

Entertainment was hit or miss but when it was good, it was fun. There is a bit of prostitution going on at the resort- I personally found it sad women and young girls need to resort to that but they all kept to themselves, it would never affect you or your stay.

Make time to take a trip into the city of Cienfuegos- you really get a great taste of Cuban culture and get to see some really great sites. I would love to go back again and see more.

Room Tip: Request a ground level room, so you have an outside terrace area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Megan T
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The resort itself is clean even with some dogs around the area. My ac worked great, the rooms aren't huge but still comfortable enough for a beach getaway. My maid "candida" kept my room spotless and was very friendly. There was a lot of prostitution near the resort beach but if you said "no" they would leave u alone. It's a short walk to the public beach and some beach bars and restaurants. I did not eat there but have heard the public restaurants aren't that good at the beach. There is a free bus twice daily to Cienfuegos city and some nice historic buildings and shops to check out. I spent most of my time at the resort beach which compared to the public beach isn't that great
Rancho luna definitely has a lot of seniors and 40 plus people so if u looking to go hardcore partying this would not be the place, but if u like it relaxed, it's the place to go

No issues with all the staff, all treated me great !!! I did tip with hygiene stuff and gifts for the ladies

Room Tip: If u can get a main floor room you then get a terrace the second floor does not have balconies
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Leo h
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is an all-in place, the drinks being free, with accommodation in blocks the other side of the pool from the reception and restaurant. However, the beer 'glasses' are small and the mojitos a little weaker than we were used to. The restaurant was self service buffet style, and we had a table next to a pianist who possibly once accompanied Frank Sinatra! Afterwards we were treated to a loud operatic/ dance show with lasers and light show. The sea is the other side of a golf course. Seemed popular with Canadians.

Room Tip: Choose ground floor if you don't like stairs!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2014

About 10 to 15 minutes from the center of town, the Rancho Luna is a typical low-end all-inclusive. It is run by Cubans rather than as a joint venture and this usually signals a lower quality amenities and services. The hotel is filled with Canadians, many who come year after year to enjoy a discount week in the sun. The food is poor and the drinks worse, but the staff and guests are agreeable. The rooms are clean but basic and the TV worked some of the time. I have stayed here twice only because the Jagua and Union in town were full.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kit K
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I spent 12 days at Rancho Luna. It was pretty basic but I still had a good time. Disappointed with the beach. The best part of the resort are the great people who work there. (except front desk) those guys could crack a smile once in awhile. I think they hope you will go away and stop bothering them! My maid, Tania was a sweetie. So nice and patient with my sub-basic Spanish. The entertainers, Eduardo and Dennis are such nice people. I took Spanish class from Eduardo and he was so good! No fluff classes I'll say. Dennis is a great dancer and will whirl you through your paces! Great fun. These two young gentlemen really put a lot into their work. I even took a Zumba class and stretching class from Eduardo. He knows what he is doing for sure. Very professional.Relax and enjoy the people
FOOD: You will always find something good to eat. It's just different from home. The rice pudding is delicious. No cheesecake etc. but we eat to much fancy stuff at home.

Room Tip: Try to be in the 200's
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hazel Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cienfuegos
Jagua Hotel
Islazul Pasacaballo Hotel
Islazul Pasacaballo Hotel
#4 of 6 in Cienfuegos
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia

Been to Hotel Rancho Luna? Share your experiences!