“Awesome Adventure!”

Centennial Canoe Outfitters - Day Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Centennial
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1985, offering one day to five day guided and outfitted canoe and kayak adventures on nine river sections in CO, UT, WY plus WA and Costa Rica. Paddle through spectular canyons on the Colorado, Gunnison and Dolores rivers near Grand Junction, CO. Hiking is an option on many trips, including the beautiful Dominguez Canyon Wilderness Area. Trips available May-Sept. Theme trips include: family, wine tasting, music, archaeology, bird watching, geology, astronomy, western history, etc.
Lafayette, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome Adventure!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We did the 3 day Gunnison River trip with friends. It was a blast! Beautiful scenery, fun paddling, water gun wars, great food, and plenty of good old-fashioned outdoor fun. Highly recommend this experience and will go on more trips with them in the future!

Visited July 2013
coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters - Day Tour, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hello JennCO,
Glad you had some good old-fashioned outdoor fun. Sometimes our lives get so busy with work & family we don't take time for the really important things like getting outdoors in nature & creating new memories. We look forward to seeing you back out on the river for another adventure.
Julia, Centennial Canoe co-owner

Windsor, Colorado, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent guides, amazing scenery, awesome experience!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

2nd trip with Centennial and I will definitely sign up for more in the future. I did a 3 day trip on the Gunnison a few years ago and enjoyed it so much I signed up for the 3 day Colorado trip. The guides are hilarious, great cooks, knowledgeable and passionate about the environment, and experienced river rafters - what more could you ask for?! I went on a family friendly trip and was impressed at how the guides helped create a cohesive group and responded to the needs of all participants, from tired children to fearful grandmas... The themed trips with experts from various places such as a Boulder Brewing, Denver Zoo, and Denver Museum is an excellent idea! Highly recommend this company!

1 Thank Jamie S
Denver
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL ADVENTURE, BUT WITH A CAUTION”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I ditto every good thing said in the previous reviews.The two women who ran our 2-day Gunnison trip could not have been better—cheerful, attentive, strong as men and unbelievable stamina. So kind to our grandchildren one of whom has a nut allergy. NO COMPLAINTS about them whatsover. We loved them. Food, scenery, organization, etc. all great.

We are grandparents who took our grandsons, 6 and 9. My husband is a fitness fanatic and I think I'm pretty strong and fit too, but I found this trip utterly exhausting. The information said "If you can load you own canoe and get in and out of it alone, you are good to go." I was shocked by the amount of heavy gear that needed to be organized, packed, loaded and unloaded, and help carry the fully loaded canoes into and out of the water. Our grandchildren were so bored during the hours and hours of the trip involved in packing, unpacking and hauling. Yes, they kept saying you don't have to help haul if you don't want to, but we would have felt like jerks NOT helping.

Two of the four canoes carrying guests in our group (including me and my grandson) flipped over in the first rapids we came to. NOT FUN. At one spot, our canoe got hung up on a shallow rocky area, I had to get out and haul the loaded canoe AND the grandson, off the rocks. I was strong enough to do it, but I was so afraid that it would get away from me in the current and go off with him in it. ALSO NOT FUN.

I guess this all comes under the heading of outdoor adventure, and I admit it is not my cup of tea at all. I just thought it was a LOT more dangerous and arduous than the description would lead one to believe, for beginning canoers. It is not a happy little float down a peaceful river. All the work involved did not leave us much time to play with the children and I wished we had taken them someplace where I didn't have to worry about their safety every minute. I still cringe when I think about what could have happened to them, and I am not a "helicopter grandma."

2 Thank HappyCamperDenver
coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters - Day Tour, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Happy Camper Denver,
As co- owner of Centennial Canoe, I’ll begin by thanking you for taking the time to comment on your recent trip with us. I also appreciate the kudos you offered your guide staff. It really is appreciated because we work hard to provide an authentic backcountry experience for our guests.

It comes as no surprise that our outdoor canoe adventures are not for everybody. If our literature was misleading I’ll apologize for that too although it hasn’t changed significantly over our 28-year history. I hope you’ll agree that if our trips were “un-fun,” we wouldn’t have lasted this long with thousands of customers and many returning customers. We have never had a fatality; I’m proud of our spotless safety record as reflected in the well-trained guides on your trip, both of whom have completed over 200 river-training hours including rigorous Swift Water Rescue training and have logged over 2500 river miles. Yes, we take safety VERY seriously.

In regards to your statements about the amount of gear that’s required to move/lift/haul around. This dilemma stems from the fact that we don’t serve “hotdogs & beans” on our trips. Our upgraded menu requires multiple coolers, dry boxes, 6-burner propane stove, numerous fresh water jugs, safety equipment and personal customer gear consisting of tents, sleeping bags, mattress pads and camp chairs. You’re right, we certainly don’t travel lightly. I contend that today’s adventure tourism traveler demands a certain degree of comfort, otherwise they’re not going.

You mentioned that your canoe capsized. One might equate tipping a canoe to falling while snow skiing or bike riding---it happens. When involved in water sports, you might get wet. This is all part of the outdoor adventure.

I’m delighted that we provide adventure and excitement. Most of all we introduce kids to the wonders of nature. A place where they can experience shooting stars, roasting marshmallows, catching frogs, and getting mud between their toes. What I’m most proud of is that we’re not Disneyland where everything is controlled and make-believe. Best of all, you don’t have to wait in line to see it.

Respectfully,
Julia, Centennial Canoe Co-owner
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family friendly trip on the Colorado”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This was our second trip with Centennial Canoe down the Colorado. This time we took our 7 year old granddaughter who loves the outdoors, but was apprehensive about "the rapids", and was newly diagnosed with multiple food allergies.

The guides were just the best with her and all the kids, as well as with the adults. They helped create a safe community that added to the beauty of the surroundings. And our granddaughter went from anxiety and tears to riding the rapids with a smile by then end of the trip. This was caused by the care and kindness shown by Levi, Jared and Caleb. Kudos to you all for creating such wonderful trips that make us and our children aware of the preciousness of our earth. Thank you!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“3rd trip with this company and all were terrific”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We've done the 3-day Gunnison River canoe trip twice and the 3-day Colorado River canoe trip and all three outings were great fun. The guides were knowledgeable. The food was great. Canoeing through the canyons was splendid. We really like the way that this company handles everything pre-trip - reservations, setting up a webpage for our group, great information about what to expect, even videos of how to pack for the river. They are friendly and helpful. When on the river, the guides are great and the trip just a lot of fun. I have only good things to say about canoeing with this company.

1 Thank Cindy B
coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters - Day Tour, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Hey Cindy,
Thanks for the glowing remarks! We love organizing trips for your group & hope to see you back again.
Julia, Centennial Canoe co-owner